Thread: KVM blocking WACOM Tablet use

Default KVM blocking WACOM Tablet use

Not a newbie by any stretch, but feel like one. We have a 8-port NTI KVM MUX and USB extenders to control Macs and PeeCees in machine room from 4 seperate Keyboard/Screen positions. Would really like to use a WACOM Graphire tablet/pen/mouse to control at least one of the machines and perhaps all. Problem is that the tablet does not see the driver because of either the switch or the extender. Is there a way around this? Would Timbuktu or Apple Remote Desktop over ethernet allow me to use another Mac such as a laptop or Mini with the tablet as a remote control for the machine room Macs? Is it fairly transparent once setup? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Here I am replying to my own question once agan. Sorry.

The short answer is that the KVM switch which is a NTI MUX actually translates the keyboard/mouse signal instead of simply amplifying it so that it can be transmitted over ethernet. That's why serial devices won't see the drivers on your Mac. I suppose Apple Remote Desktop or Timbuktu would allow me to control other machines, however, I have learned of something called VNC and Chicken of the VNC

www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html

As soon as I get administrative permission to connect my mini to the LAN, I will try this and report back in case anyone's interested. I would appreciate advice as to whether the report should be posted here or on the Network & Security Forum.

Thanks!

Once again, sorry for the monologue, but here is my report as promised.

I have been using VNC (server software) on our mirror door G4 and Chicken of the VNC (client software) on my Mac mini in order to control the G4 using my WACOM graphire tablet over the ethernet LAN instead of direct keyboard control through our KVM MUX switch. It works fairly well, with the exception that screen redraws are not lightning fast so that when you drag a window around, you tend to overshoot your destination. Considering the price of VNC, ($0), I can't complain. Another drawback is that sometimes it is necessary to use the menu command to quit an application instead of command+Q. Needs some tweaking I guess.

Best,