Thread: Help! Can boot new G5 w/Guru Drives

Default Help! Can boot new G5 w/Guru Drives

I have a brand new G5. Took out standard drive and added WD Raptor 74GB in "A" slot and Seagate 300GB in "B" slot. I can't boot with the install disk? I start up with holding "C" key and nothing! I had to get the drive open with paper clip. I searching online but am finding nothing. Seem like something stupid, but I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BD

Default Did you install a 6800 by chance?

if so your boot disk will no longer work.

this was a longshot answer , any other info would help!
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Default ???

Not sure what your talking about. 6800???

The machine is a G5 dual 2GHz with bluetooth and airport and 256MB DDR SRAM added to the 9600 video card. I also installed 4GB of MacGuru's RAM. 23" cinema screen.

Oh, don't tell me I screwed up the DVD!!! How else could I get the drive to open? I can't get the CAPS lock to light up. So I tried connecting it directly to the front jack on the G5.

Ahhhhhhh!

Thanks for any response.

Default Ahh, sorry the 6800 is

the Geforce 6800 Video card from Apple...

can you get it back to Apple original, and add one item / upgrade at a time?

not sure about using the keyboard from the front USB and booting, not sure I have ever tried that...

you may want to try the USB Keyboard (not bluetooth) on the rear panel, and hold C.

also, make sure the Raptor 74 only has 1 jumper near the Power Input I believe. Read up on the jumpers at WD (sometimes it is shipped with TCQ enabled).

ram needs to be installed in pairs, but hopefully you knew that
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

I move the keyboard to the back and re-installed the RAM and disconnect the second drive. I think I didn't seat the RAM all the way (yes I had pairs installed) Finally got a bong and the DVDs are installing now. Whew! Thanks for your help man. I was kinda freaking there...

Cool Cool...

Whew! Thanks for your help man. I was kinda freaking there...
    Dick, That's why many people hang close by including me any Guru or member will try to fix things up. Long time no see. - Randy

You have to push HARD to seat RAM in G5s - at least the first several generations. I lay 'em on their side so I can jump on 'em Pro Wrastler style. Well, not quite jump on them, but darn near. Never seen any other computers with such tight RAM slots.

It ain't you....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Same for me on my G5. If I don't put it on its side, can't get the RAM sticks to fully seat. k

Talking

Thanks, guys. By the way, that WD Rapor 74GB boot drive ROCKS!!! Holy Toledo that sucker is fast!