Thread: SCSI HD add on

Default SCSI HD add on

I'm adding another HD
    A Seagate, ST31200N, Just a 1 gig.
    I want to setup another drive for 10.3 to run quark 6 only.
    I'm not under standing the jumper settings on the drive, it shows 2 places to set the jumpers for scsi ID. Which pin location do I want to use ?
    See (Seagate drive, st31200n, hawk)

Hi,SCSI can be frustrating...
    Look here
    http://www.seagate.com/cgi-bin/view....i/st31200n.txt
    I hope the info helps,

Dave

Default More Information please!

Hello,

What kind of Mac is it (8600, G3 Beige, what ever)?

If it is a Beige G3 or a B&W or a later model, a PATA drive should be better cuz your ST31200N is a Single Ended (SCSI 2 drive 10MB/s max. throughput, 5MB/s is what you can expect).

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Default G3 SCSI Seagate

Thanks Both of you Guys I've Been to the Seagate Site
    Yea, this is a cheap used slow drive I wanted to use for a OS 10.3 training project, just Quark 6.5 Software, text mostly, a few line graphics, no photos. ( Quark is so low tech it runs well on Mac II 's to SE 20's... OS 6 )

I found this [67452.pdf] seagate.com, same as the Link you sent me to.

This page is Page 40 in Thumbnails , (Page 32 By Number on Page)
    J5 and J6 pins set the SCSI ID, instructions say chooze J5 or J6
    since they do the same Thing ?
    On J5 or J6 Pins ( SCSI ID 4 ) will be ok, This is the last thing on the SCSI Cable, Before it is a Zip 100 Drive SCSI ID 2. Right now I'm not using any External SCSI Devices. My main HD is EIDE as you know. I want to keep that as 10.1 only.

I"m trying to figure out which pin setting to use on J2 for termination internal

Reserved
    Delay Motor Start
    Enable Motor Start
    Write Protect
    Parity Option
    Enable Terminators
    Term Power from Drive
    Term Power To SCSI BUS
    Term Power from SCSI Bus

I am thinking of using ( Term Power from SCSI Bus ) the last pin setting on the bottom of J2 Pins

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by we9to4
    Quark 6.5 Software, text mostly, a few line graphics, no photos. ( Quark is so low tech it runs well on Mac II 's to SE 20's... OS 6 )
    Older versions of QXP like 3.11 do not need a fast HD and stuff untill you place images and rotate them. And 3.3 or 4 are faster than newer versions.

QXP 6.5 is more like InDesign and needs a fast HD if you don't have enough RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by we9to4
    I"m trying to figure out which pin setting to use on J2 for termination internal

Reserved
    Delay Motor Start
    Enable Motor Start
    Write Protect
    Parity Option
    Enable Terminators
    Term Power from Drive
    Term Power To SCSI BUS
    Term Power from SCSI Bus

I am thinking of using ( Term Power from SCSI Bus ) the last pin setting on the bottom of J2 Pins
    1. Basically the termination can be set if you place a jumper on "Enable Terminators".

2. Every Terminator needs power to do the termination, some controller cards supply this power some don't. If Term Power is not supplied by the controller card or Logicboard (like older Macs 7xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx) you have to supply term power from a device like this HD. On the above mentioned PowerMacs, term power was sullied through the CD-ROM.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Default Old SCSI's never die huh?

Hey! that does it .
    Great I've looked and read alot about termination the last few days, but nothing seemed to answer or give me the insite to determine what to choose. And thanks for the update about Quark needs too. I'll try this, this G3 has a little more that basic RAM, might just be a throw away to donate some where!

Thanks again
    Last edited by we9to4; 08-08-2005 at 09:25 AM. Reason: This G3 has a little more that basic RAM