Thread: additional drives and partitions gone

Confused additional drives and partitions gone

I have recently installed a Giga Designs 1.8 GHZ upgrade. Everything was working perfectly for about the last 3 weeks. Today I ran the new version of DiskWarrior from my TechTool Pro e-drive partition. As I was saving the results my computer (G4 Quicksilver) restarted by itself. When I saw my desktop the only drive there was the Mac OS X startup drive. I tried everything. Disk utility sees the drives and says they are mounted, however the icons appear as generic icons. Terminal also sees the drives. I can not get to them, or restart from my external firewire drive. The firewire drive does however mount and work fine on my wife's computer. In open firmware I can reset all but I can not set defaults or reset nvram. DiskWarrior sees the drives repairs them says they are mounted, but they do not appear on the desktop and again I can not get to them. I would appreciate any help I can get.
    Thanks ahead of time,
    ScottR

Lightbulb

Any drives on PCI controllers? ATA/SATA? number of drives? OS?

Drives formatted under Tiger should never be repaired with anything less than Disk Utility 10.3.9. Even then, I would want 10.4.2 on eDrive and main system drive. And I'm not sure 3rd party utilities are fully updated for 10.4.2, at least Disk Warrior 3.03 has a few problems, and I won't even install or use TTP 4.0.4 at this point. I always create my own emergency drive rather than something like eDrive. But it seems you could ask MicroMat about they whys or wherefors.

So what partition were you working on when it happened? were you running it just to test it out or was there a reason? I never use even DW unless there is a problem that DU won't fix, otherwise, the idea of rebuilding the directory seems unnecessary with OS X and today's drives. If your drives are 2-4 yrs old, time to upgrade probably to new and faster models, ATA has improved, and drives don't last forever.

If there is a problem with a drive, zero it, that may map out any bad block. And never, ever, fill a drive beyond 80% to be on the safe side. And never, ever run a disk utility before first making sure to backup, goes without saying.

Confused

I was working with the e-drive partition trying to remove DW 3.0.2 and Replace it with 3.0.3. The computer suddenly restarted (I was so startled that I am not exactly sure what action I was performing, but I believe I was trying to save some file). When I got my desktop back all that was on there was the startup drive. My OS 9 partition is on the same drive (also gone) My 2nd ATA drive that has my applications and documents also gone. My firewire drive which luckily has everything backed up, also does not appear but shows up fine on my wife's Mac. Disk Utility says they are all there and mounted. So does Terminal and so does DW. So I believe the problem is not the drives.
    Anyone have any other ideas?
    Scott

Replacing DW is only a matter of drag-install or trash the old one first.

There could be a bad block in the partition map or where DW was. or both. or a loose cable. Or just the way eDrive is created (which is unique trick).

For my money, I would stick with using real partitions, and TTP 4.0.4.

Smile Problem solved

I had to reformat the partitions. It seems an electrical power problem I have been having, damaged the drives. I was able to use them temporarily, but they were not working as they should so I replaced them. I will have to get a UPS with voltage regulator ti prevent this problem reoccurring in the future.

Thumbs up Cool

ScottR

Did you see this UPS thread? Some real nice info. - Randy