Thread: DVD tray won't open

Default DVD tray won't open

Hi,

I've just bought a used DVD ROM drive, and the tray won't open. Could there be some kind of locking device for transit? Do DVD drives lock up often?

I popped it into a G3 - the light flashes and there is servo activity as it moves the laser around (and tries to open the tray) but it doesn't open.

Have I been 'done' by the seller?

Thanks, BF

After an hour or so of poking around I seem to have sorted it out. I had to take it apart and re-locate a plastic lug inside, then re-install the tray from the front.

One corner of the outer metal case is slightly bent, suggesting mechanical shock (as though it has been dropped) which may have been sufficient to dislodge the lug. I'm assuming the carriers gave it some rough treatment.

Cool, thanks for the follow up.

On a side note, we ship a fair amount of tech stuff at work, and I swear the handling and treatement has gotten consistantly worse in the last year or two.... Watched a DSL women drop a new CRT a while back, which proceeded to roll down an entire flight of stairs to a concrete landing.

She was shocked when I would not sign for it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin