Thread: Can I put DVR-109 into a G4 1.25Ghz

Default Can I put DVR-109 into a G4 1.25Ghz

I am about to buy a G4 1.25Ghz Mac without SuperDrive... Can I put a new DVR-109 into it? Can Anyone Help?? I have to be able to burn DVDs for my clients...

You might take a peak over here to see if there's any reports on that setup.

I "think" the answer is yes. Which OS version are you running? - Randy

Default DVR-109 in G$

Quote Originally Posted by rwm
    I "think" the answer is yes. Which OS version are you running? - Randy
    About to buy it but I have been on latest Panther... not Tiger yet (hear too many stories of problems)

Read through this article and a few of these Google links first. - Randy

Lightbulb

Every version of OS X has "had problems" for some population of users and hardware. Yet, it was the smoothest and problem free if you kept your eyes peeled and could determine if your system fit the profile of problem-users. That said, 10.4.2 is a major improvement to a number of areas, RAID, fsck, and as long as you don't rely on FW drives (always a problem) or have a networking issue with Tiger, it has been cleaner than jag/panther combined.

Always good to wait for 2nd or 3rd update, and I think that is why Apple took so long to refine 10.4.2, and hopes to update Safari soon - so that systems that ship in the fall to schools etc will have a solid OS, not one that is broken or seen as "beta."

RAIDs built with Tiger are not backward compatible with Panther, but are 10% boost in I/O, too.

Default Problems

I do rely on FW drives but also feel the need to move forward... so I'll battle on... unless you want to share any horror stories about using pci firewire cards with tiger... thanks to you RWM and M. Brane

I installed a DVR-109 drive in my 466MHz G4 (digital audio) running MacOS 10.3.9, and it works like a champ. Double layer DVD's and all.

It's a dual boot machine with MacOS 9.2.2 on the internal drive (OSX on a FW drive), and the 109 works fine in that environment, too, though it won't write double layer DVD's in OS9.
    Gordon in Austin