Thread: Serious trouble with a Pioneer DVR-106D

Default Serious trouble with a Pioneer DVR-106D

I recently purchased a Pioneer DVD-RW DVD-106D drive from an on-line reseller (can't remember which one). According to the website, however, this was a stock 4x Superdrive from an older Mac, so I felt pretty confident about its compatibility with my Quicksilver 2002 G4. I installed it without any problems and it worked perfectly... until I installed OS X 10.4.

After I installed Tiger, I discovered that I could no longer burn DVDs with the drive; System Profiler listed it as "unsupported." At that point, I immediately went to XLR8yourmac.com to try and find a solution, figuring that it would likely involve the installation of a firmware patch. The only thing I was able to find was a link to <a href="http://www.macetvideo.com/flashpioneerosx/flashpioneerosx.html">this</a> site, in French, which features several firmware patches that are supposedly intended to update this drive. I downloaded and installed the v1.08 patch, and things seemed to work fine after that - System profiler listed my drive a supported and I was able to initiate a burn with iMovie. Unfortunately, things soon went south.

Now my problem is this: if I leave a disc, any kind of disc, in the drive for more than a few minutes, my system begins locking up. It starts with any app that tries to access the drive; they just freeze up and I am completely unable to shut them down, even by force-quit. Even System Profiler locks up when it tries to fetch information about the drive. If I try and eject the disc, the disc unmounts from the Finder, but the drive will not open to physically eject the disc, and forcibly removing the disc via the paperclip-hole does not resolve the problem. Eventually, even the Finder lock up and I am forced to turn off the computer to get back control. I tried going back to that site and installing the v1.07 version of the firmware, but the original problem persists.

I'm assuming that there must be some incompatibility between my drive and the firmware patch that I installed (though it does claim to be intended for my drive model). Has anyone else had a similar problem? More importantly, can anyone link me to a firmware patch that will work for me? Thanks.

Howdy.

Eek, that sounds bad. Have not had to use it myself yet, but most folks are reporting good success with patchburn.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I tried Patchburn, but since that doesn't actually alter the firmware, it doesn't really address the problem, here. No change in drive behavior.

I also just tried flashing it with the v1.06 firmware, but to no avail. Problem persists. The 1.06, 1.07, and 1.08 firmware patches are the only ones I can find. There must be some other patch somewhere that will fix this problem.

Simple thing to try if you haven't already: zap the pram. Sometimes cures the bug-a-boos after tweaking the firmware.

Haven't had to do that in a while. Can you remind me of the procedure?

PRAM zap take a look at this Apple KB. and give another yell if you have questions. - Randy

Zapped the PRAM; no luck, problem persists.

I noticed that all of the firmware patches I've been trying are "unofficial" patches, so I thought I'd try an track down an "official" patch. I went to the Pioneer firmware page to find the correct patch, but there was no Mac version of the patch for the 106D (there was a Mac patch for most of the rest, though). So I downloaded the Win patch, extracted the actual patch file (R6100106.108) via VirtualPC, and tried to use DVDFlash 2.0 to install it (it can't be installed within VPC and I have no physical PC to put the drive in). However, for some reason DVDFlash was unable to open the patch file. Undaunted, I went back and downloaded one of the unofficial patches that I knew had a Mac executable app for the installation. I swapped the official patch file for the unnoficial one and ran the installer. It seemed to work just fine but...

...the problem remains. D'oh!

So, I'm wondering what would happen if I used the firmware patch for the DVR-105, which has a Mac version, instead of trying to install the patch for the DVD-106, which does not. What would happen if I did that?

Just tried using FlashIt to install the official 1.05 kernel and the 1.08 firmware patch. Intalled without a hitch, but problem persists. What the heck is going on here? How do I resolve this?

Ah, it's coming back to me.

Way back at 10.1 and 10.2, PC firmware (which is what you've been installing) could cause problems. In particular, kernel panics on wake when a disc was left in the drive.

Apple writes its own firmware for the Superdrives, so while they're the same physically, Apple logoed and supplied Superdrives carry different firmware from the PC versions. And you've been stick the PC firmware on there, in essence converting the Apple OEM drive to a PC OEM drive.

I thought this stuff got resolved. But the old workaround, which you might want to try is the follow: get your HDs never to sleep. In 10.3-10.4 that means in the Energy Saver preference, you need *both* of the following:

1. Set the system "never" to sleep.

2. Uncheck "put HDs to sleep when possible"

That will insure that your HDs never go to sleep.

Default Sweet Jebus! It works!

Problem solved! One of the kindly wizards over at <a href="http://www.rpc1.org">The Firmware Page</a> gave me a link to an Apple OEM firmware patch that restored my 106D to perfect working condition, burn support and all. Anyone who has had a similar problem with a Pioneer DVR-106D should download this:

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/asaxton/DVRFlashX_Apple_106.zip">DVR-106 APPLE DVRFlashX kit</a>

This package contains both the official Apple and an RPC1 (region free) patched version. If, like me, you ran PatchBurn, be sure to remove the PatchBurn file at /Library/DiscRecording/DeviceProfiles. It will interfere with the 106's normal operation.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update, and the links!