Thread: Monitor won't wake up

Default Monitor won't wake up

Hi all,

Once again I come here, hat in hand, seeking your wisdom...

In my G4 Dual 500 AGP, I just installed 2 new SATA drives (1 - Hitachi 160, 1 - Seagate 400), and a Seritek SATA host card (1V4) - all bought here.

They are all working fine. The Hitachi has two partitions, one 120GB with newly installed OS X (Tiger), and one 40GB for OS 9 (still empty). The Seagate 400 has no partitions, and nothing on it yet. The original drive is a Maxtor 40GB with OS 9 and a bunch of apps and files on it.

Everything seems fine so far, except that when the drives go to sleep and the monitor (Lacie 19" electronblueII) goes to sleep with them, the drives can be awakened, but the monitor won't wake up. I have to reboot the computer from the emergency reboot button on the front panel to get it all working together again.

I've turned off the sleep function on both systems, and that holds it together, but I'd like to be able to make it sleep because I leave the machine on all the time.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.

Bill Marsh

Bill:

I never sleep my system. If I'm gonna be away for more than a day I just shut it down. The whole sleep thing seems like it causes more problems than it solves IMHO.

You have repaired permissions I assume.

I'm just getting up to speed on X, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly. Hang in there.

Default X

I'm just now using X for the first time myself. This is only day two. Repair permissions?

I like saving electrons, as they are so expensive and I'M SO GREEN. MUST SLEEP.

Or not, if it's a big hassle, I guess.

Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by redcloud54
    Repair permissions?
    Repair permissions can be found in Disk Utility. You should do this anytime you make changes to the system.

Lots of good links here courtesy of TZ.

Thanks for that link. There is a ton of good stuff there. Much studying to do.