Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: G3 wont boot (new Mac owner)

Thumbs up Good move

Garage band should work fine. Yes faster is better but my good neighbor and friend.... his children run/use Garage band a lot on his "Yikes PCI G4/400MHz" so you are much faster or at least the next step/generation up -AGP graphics etc.

He did add a Seritek and new Seagate SATA drive. His stock drive was old, slow and only 10 GB. I'd recommend adding a new ATA/SATA Drive. The stock mobo bus in that is an ATA/66 most newer ATA drives will push that. - Randy

Default The New(er) G4

The new sawtooth came with a 27gig drive so that should do for now. It has a 16 meg AGP video card in it which I will replace once the credit card cools down.

Size wise the 27 GBer might be OK. This Apple spec KB seems to indicate that it shipped with a 10 GBer. Anyway if the drive is 3 to 4 years old I would replace it before the AGP graphics card (unless your doing a lot of "graphic/gaming" with it) An older drive is getting ~25 to ~35 MB/sec reads/writes (but without model number, age etc we really don't know). Any newer ATA drive with an 8 MB cache (older drives had 2MB) would hook right up to your current ATA bus. They can/will run at ~50+ MB/sec. Then your older drive (assuming you only have 1 drive) would make a great backup drive with a emergency OS X system boot partition, a data backup partition.

Just a thought. Enjoy it.
    Randy