Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G3 wont boot (new Mac owner)

Default G3 wont boot (new Mac owner)

Hi there. I just recently became a Mac owner. I was offered a PowerMac 7100 on freecycle. It appears to be completely dead. I went back to freecycle and asked for a new powersupply. Instead I was given a G3 desktop. It appears to be a 300 MHz. I had a 6 gig drive but the drive is missing.

Since the G3 is newer than the 7100, I have decided to focus on it. I have replaced the onboard battery with the new one I bought for the 7100. I reset the CUDA switch and replaced the battery.

I initially booted up the G3 without the drive from the 7100. I got video and a disk symbol on the screen. Atleast this was further than the 7100 got. I turned it off and installed the 700 meg drive from the 7100. When I rebooted now I get no video but the hard drive spins up. So I went through the cuda switch/remove battery process again but still no luck.

I haven't used a mac since the 7100 was a current machine. Back then I never opened up the machine back then, I was strictly an operator.

What should I do now?

SpookyDad

Smile Welcome to the Guru's site

Yes the 7100 is getting darn old. The G3 hummmm Start here..
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19238

and I hate to give you all this to wade through... but
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18533

It will get you started.. I'll look better later.

Randy

Default Update

I went out to the local computer store tonight and picked up a new cable for the scsi drive from the 7100. It was way too short. I also picked up an 80 gig IDE drive for it as well. It now has both drives in it but no luck on bootup.

I am lacking a bootable system CD. I hope to take care of that tomorrow. The CD drive makes a fairly loud whirring noise when a disk is inserted in it.

I am wading through the links provided. I keep trying the various remedies but no luck so far.

SpookyDad

I wonder if a 7500 mobo would fit in that case. They are real close. I have an old 7500 laying around I'd give away. The PSU is most likely different. I'll try and check - Randy

Default 7500?

Isn't the 7500 a step backwards from the G3? Pardon my ignorance here.

Yes, I meant the 7100 case. Sorry, Randy

Default OS 7.5.3 For free

I see on http://lowendmac.com/macos.shtml you can download OS 7.5.3
    for free. I know this is an old system. I just don't want to drop $130 on
    OS X if the whole system is not working.

My problem is my internet connection is on my PC. Can I download them
    on my PC and put them on to a CD? Will the G3 read them? I know there
    are utilities to read PC files but I don't know if you need a working Mac
    to use them.

Any help would be appreciated.

SpookyDad

Do you mean a computer like this or Look here the biege with a 83MHz bus can be work out. A good running one great otherwise it might be dog fight after dog fight. TZ, About has done any thing to a biege any one guy could do.

I have my 7500 running with a XLR8 G3/400 and it has a floppy. I would be happy to send one. I'd need to get a disk. LOL, Have not used one it a long while, but if your stuckl - no problem. - Randy

Oh your question: yes to PC to Mac BUT a variety of things I am not smart enough to write. But your Operating system, connections type, hardware compatibilities technology changes... it does not always work.

Default Beige G3 Desktop

Yes that is the one. It is a beige desktop model with floppy/cd/zip drives

Quote Originally Posted by rwm
    Do you mean a computer like this or Look here the biege with a 83MHz bus can be work out. A good running one great otherwise it might be dog fight after dog fight. TZ, About has done any thing to a biege any one guy could do.

Hi Spooky,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Macs. I see Randy is getting you up to speed.

If it were me, I would work on the G3 and forget everything older than that. The main reason is the ability to run OS 10. That and the fact that you will spend just as much on an older Mac, with much less performance or upgradability. Just my opinion; if you are happy to run an older OS, then less of an issue.

So for the G3, you have a new drive which is great. The right thing to do.

A few things to consider:
    1) You need OS 9, even if you want to run OS 10. With a little looking it can be found cheap.

2) If you are going to get to OS 10 at some point, you need a minimum of about 256 of good quality RAM. More is better.

3) Depending on what you want this machine to do, at some point you might consider adding better video card, and a USB/Fire Wire card. If you get that far, you can run OS 10 nicely, and plug in your ipod and digital camera.

I just did one of these and traded it for about $150 worth of baby sitting.

Beige desktop like yours:

Added a Radeon 7000 (surplus)
    Bought a G3 400 CPU from ebay for 30 bucks and overclocked it to 416/83
    Added a USB card (surplus),
    And added a SIIG ATA controller (surplus)

I had the surplus parts laying around and could have sold them, but much prefer to breath life into an old Mac, plus get a 12 year old neighbor girl hooked on Macs too. Getting ready to add a wireless network card; now her dad is eyeing it.....may need to find a CD burner too.

Anyway, you can do the same thing, and with a little Gurus help, do it right and pretty cheap. Really depends on what you want to use your Mac for. How far do you want to go, and what is the budget? Mac parts can be had for pretty cheap, if you know where to look and what to look for. Everyone here can help with that.

Oh, and as for the loud CD palyer, we can't really test it til you get a system CD. The real test will be if it will boot properly from CD. Some of those old drives are loud but still chug away....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks unc for explaining what I did not have/take time to. I agree the 7100 would be tough to work with. OK it's a beige then it does have a 66MHz bus speed a jump over the 7200-9600's. I was not sure which machine for positive we were talking and they changed a lot right at that time. The 7200-9600's, Beige, G3, G4 Yikes, AGP G4 and so on. With the 7100 pre dating all of this.

Well just ask away... Randy

Arrow Fyi

The person in this thread here is working on upgrading the Beige too. Check it out.

Default More food for thought...

Take a look at the politics of upgrades. Hope it helps sort some things out. - Randy

Question

Any news Spooky?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default It LIVES!

What a day! A freecycler offered to help me out with the problem. I bundled everything into the truck and off we went. It turns out he has only slightly more knowledge about macs than I do. We tried replacing various bits and pieces at random. Eventually he pronounced the G3 dead and offered me yet another Mac, this time a working 5500.
    I took the 5500 even though it was a big step back. On the way home, I stopped at Microcenter and picked up an external drive case and SCSI cable out of their clearance bin. The 5500 has a 2 gig drive and I was curious to know what was on the 700 Meg SCSI drive from the original 7200.
    Anyway I got the 5500 setup at home and assembled the scsi drive in the external case. It booted up just fine and recognised the drive. Just my luck the scsi drive was almost clean.
    Before I finally pronounced the G3 dead, I decided to just try yanking the memory just in case it was a bad ram module. Well I put a module in the right most slot and voila she booted up. The two ram modules had been in the left 2 slots and that was causing it to play dead.
    So now I have 2 macs in the house (and 6 PCs) Now I am just poking around with the machine to learn what I have.

One thing that puzzled me in looking at video cards at Microcenter. I was under the impression that a Radeon PCI card was a good alternative to the on board video of the Gossamer. I can pick up a PCI 9250 on the PC side for $29. Yet over in the mac section, the ATI cards started at $99. Is there any difference between the PC cards and the "MAC" video cards?

SpookyDad

Yes. The firmware, and the price.

You have to have the right firmware on the card for it to work in a Mac, so std. PC cards won't work.

We have been paying the "Mac tax" since day one on several components, especially for video cards.

Now here is the tricky part: if you look at ebay you will see Mac video cards for pretty cheap (by Mac standards), and models for sale that venders never sold for Macs. How? They are PC cards that some geeky types have reflashed the ROM - removing the PC firmware and replacing it with Mac firmware. Try a search for, say, "Mac video PCI"", and you will see what I mean.

I usually don't recommend these, cause although most seem to work just fine (I have three different ones myself), sometimes they don't....but you seem to be up for a project.

These and used stuff are about your only option for a low price Mac video card.

If you look it seems that some Radeon 9200 PCI w/ 64MB VRAM flash better than others. Before the Mac Radeon 9100 was out there were a lot of people playing around and having some good results, but you don't know if it will play well and you can't update the ROM later when ATI does (and they do) offer new ROM firmware. (I have a new 9100, the ROM is much improved and none of the problems that were present with previous Beige G3s).

It took much longer for the card to get through beta, and it also takes times to get 'mature' drivers and such. It is aimed at B&W and later, especially where someone wants needs a 3rd or 4th monitor. Or to not put their 2nd monitor on their main AGP card.

Default Caught the Mac bug...

Well I finally decided that I have been away from Mac's too long. Instead of buying an upgrade board for my Beige G3, I picked up a Sawtooth G4 off ebay for $275 and upgraded to OS 10. It is 500 mhz and is fast enough for now. My kiddo wants to run Garage Band and I hope this will do the trick for that. So now I have 3 Macs and I had to go out and buy a new hub to hook them all up to the network. Fortunately the new machine can see the HP Laserjet 4 plus that is on the network by itself (with a JetDirect Card and a postscript module)