Thread: One Dead PowerBook G4

Default One Dead PowerBook G4

Went to turn on my powerbook last night - dead. No friendly mac chime. It's not used on a daily basis, but I was using it a few days ago and it worked fine. It's the 667Mhz model with 768MB RAM.

Did some research thru the discussions on the Apple site and tried resetting the power management button under the keyboard. Still nothing.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Stephen

Default A couple thoughts...

I know that a dead / or dying main Li battery will cause havoc on the PB's, have you tried removing the main battery and then resetting PRAM?

Also, might want to look up pbfixit.com to see how tough it is to replace the nvram battery (they do go bad after 3 years or so). This would also cause a PB to not start.

Reset the physical ram in the slots might also help... can you check power output of the Power Adapter with a voltmeter?
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

thanks for the suggestions - I'll look up how hard it is to change the battery. With the laptop I don't know my way around too well on the inside. May end up taking it in for service.

stephen

A couple more thoughts....

ibooks don't have a seperate NVRAM battery, so it is at least possible yours 'book doesn't either. Have seen a couple ibook owners tear their babies apart looking for something that isn't there. Nobody wants to do that.

Have seen several machines with the same symptom that were revived by a PMU button reset. It has worked for me on several G4 towers, a G4 imac, etc. If you do crack it open, it would be one of the first things I would try.

Luck.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

How do you reset the PMU button on the G4 Powerbook?

scratch my last post - already did that