Thread: Hard Disk "OS X Volume" - Keys out of Order

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hard Disk "OS X Volume" - Keys out of Order

Hi can anyone explain to me what "keys out of order" mean pls..Also how can it fixed as Disk Repair on the OS X disk couldn't fix it..Cld it be the result of a power failure during usage of the OS and then the boot system not repairing the "OS X Volume" on the Hard Disk during start-up?
    I have 3 volumes(partitions) on a new 80GB WD Caviar but only the OS X Volume of the 3 is in need of repair according to the 10.2.2 Boot disk...Disk Utility

Thanx

Lightbulb

10.2.2 was still beta in quality if not in name. Either Disk Warrior or Panther 10.3.9 or later. You might want to update to 10.2.8 as well as later version of OS X, and also, enable journaling. After a crash, boot into Single User Mode and use the 'fsck -y' command on the command line, too.

Very strongly recommend any system be behind a good UPS.
    Last edited by TZ; 07-09-2005 at 02:53 PM.

All good points.

I would really second running the 10.2.8 Combination Updater. Slim chance a printer or something will not like it, but there are tons of fixes and tweaks between 10.2.2 and 10.2.8, so usually well worth the very small risk.

Heck, you really should try to get to 10.3.8, but that takes some money, and might break a few more things too...check your software to see what is not compatible, and always backup everything before you do it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

Tiger 10.4.2 has an improved fsck/Disk Utility to deal with directory damage. would be nice to see apple offer 10.4.2 DVD.

tachyon Guest

In my experience "Keys Out of Order' is fairly severe, and usually only DiskWarrior can correct this problem.
    However I haven't had an opportunity to use the new version of Disk Utility from 10.4.2 yet.

Only upgrade the OS *after* repairing the directory!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tachyon
    In my experience "Keys Out of Order' is fairly severe, and usually only DiskWarrior can correct this problem.
    However I haven't had an opportunity to use the new version of Disk Utility from 10.4.2 yet.

Only upgrade the OS *after* repairing the directory!
    I think the operative word is after backing up first! Also, with AppleJack, you can do most repairs on startup - before anything further happens (but would still want 10.4.2). And that is why an Emergency boot drive is essential to have.

I recommending doing updates either on the clone, or have a clone with your current system and have your emergency system safe somewhere else. (Which adds up to three bootable drives.)

Quote Originally Posted by kakadu
    Hi can anyone explain to me what "keys out of order" mean pls..
    Perhaps this thread from Macfixit answers your question.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"