Thread: Running monitor at 75Hz or 85Hz which is better - why?

Question Running monitor at 75Hz or 85Hz which is better - why?

A simple dumb question. I run an older 19" Hitachi with my Radeon Pro 9000 64 MB version and it works great. I only run it at the recommended displays and at millions of colors. For the most part I run my monitor at one of these choices... every now and then I use 1280 x 960.

1024 x 768 @ 75Hz
    1024 x 768 @ 85Hz -> primary choice
    1152 x 870 @ 75Hz
    1152 x 864 @ 85Hz -> primary choice

I have been opting for the 85Hz (thinking it's better) but I can't tell any difference. Can someone shed some light/information regarding the Hz ... 75z vs. 85Hz.

Is there a mathematical "better combination"?

Thanks - Randy

Hey Randy,
    What that refers to is refresh rate, or how many lines your monitor can display per second.
    You are on the right track, the higher refresh rate is easier on the eyes,no matter what screen size/resolutionless less "flicker".
    Here is a good explanition
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/monitor8.htm

Dave

Hey, Thanks Dave. That is plenty of info for my p-brain. - Randy

Arrow Another quick question...

The article seems to say run things at the highest refresh rate.

I have the options of...

1024 x 768 runs @75Hz, 85Hz, 90Hz, 96Hz, 100Hz
    1152 x 870 runs only @75Hz
    1152 x 867 runs @75Hz, 85Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz

So any reason NOT to run things at 90Hz or 100Hz

I know down near or at 60Hz things flicker along with a household light bulb and looks weird - so just wondering about the higher end Hz's. Can you over do over push or stress anything about refresh rate ... like over-clocking a CPU?

Randy

Yes it is possible to over do it. I remember a long time ago we had someone do that. Take a look at your Hitachi manual at those resolutions and see what it sez or their website for your model number. Does the Displays pane detect your model number? k

Displays pane detect your model number? k
    Yes it sees and displays my monitor model just fine - no extra software installed. I'll hunt up my manual. Exactly why I ask Kaye is because I sorta recall a long, deep discussion or thread about this.

I recall a math formula that kinda = "best setting" But then again .. my memory is a little old and worn out here.

Thanks guys,
    Randy

My understanding is along as you don't exceed the monitor's capabilities higher is better.

Yeah, 60hz is a headache inducer especially under fluorescent lighting.

Arrow

Contemporary displays have protection against refresh rates that are too high.

However back in the day, displays were not "smart" enough to recognize their limitations, and you could damage a CRT by driving it too fast. Working in the graphics industry in 1994, my colleagues would occasionally overdrive monitors to death. Then came multi-frequency, and then came auto-sensing with protection, and by the time I left that company in 1997 it was unheard of to damage a display even intentionally.

Personally I can see flicker in 85 Hz, especially when my eyes are tired. I prefer 100 Hz or greater refresh on my displays, even at a cost of lower resolution. YMMV.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X

Thumbs up Thanks guys

This seems to say it best...
    http://www.promarktech.com/imaging/m...achi/cm715.htm

Another pdf document kinda said keep things at 85Hz and 85Hz does look fine to me.

Why on my computer for refresh rates at 1152 x 870 ... I only get a 75Hz choice. I know there is a math formula on these forums some where that explains this - it is at least 2 maybe 3 years old buried in a discussion.

Thanks - Randy

How, or how far should I adjust all my settings? Actually any information to set or adjust this monitor for best viewing would be appreciated. I have never really tweaked the monitor settings. I don't mean get into the case ... just the user controls in front. There is a lot to adjust. Which ones can help and how, why? There is more than I understand.. I assume there are some "basic rules"?

What is important? eric, I think was talking about brightness once? Trying to keep old monitor looking it's best without burning anything out.

Randy

Just my two cents;

Pick the screen size you want and then set it to the highest possible refresh rate (MHz) possible. Maybe it's not the same for some monitors - but when I go into the displays panel it only gives me the possible options, so there seems to be no chance of doing any damage. Furthermore, when I change settings I need to confirm it or it changes back to what it was previously within 15 secs.

Personally I have mine set at 1600 X #### and the refresh rate at 85MHz.
    I cannot stand 75MHz as I seem to pick up on the flicker slightly.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I had a RasterOps (Hitachi) MC 7515 19" that I ran at 100hz from January 1999 when I bought it until last summer when I sold it to a relative It was great and is still working great
    Damien,