Thread: Imac G5 raid help requested

Default Imac G5 raid help requested

Hi group, thanks in advance for any help; My question is, I have a digital tech business
    ladigitaltech.com and I use G4 laptops and this new Imac for capture of digital files.

I like the imac for the screen and the G5 processor, but I hate that Apple only put FW400 and USB 2.0 on it. On jobs where I cannot use the Dual 2.7 system can I use the 2 FW400 channels (I hope they are channels and not ports) on the imac in conjunction with 2 2 drive raid enclosures and run them (4 drives in 2 enclosures) as one striped Raid and back up to an external drive on the USB 2.0 port, would I see any improvement over a single FW400 drive and is it worth the extra cash to do this?

Thanks in advance, David

info@ladigitaltech.com

Lightbulb

They are not separate channels. the LaCie D2 oxford 912 offers a built-in RAID but only 25% boost. I agree, the iMac really isn't desinged for expansion and heavy storage uses. It is either PowerMac or forget any expansion. USB2 is slower than FW400.

Just get a fast, large drive and stay with a good solid FW400. You could find 250GB drives for ~$125. Depending on needs, maybe a single hot-swap FW case and 4 drive bays or something. Or D2 with 500GB (but make sure it has beefy AC and fans). I don't keep up, but there are some FW cases, some hot-swap. Take a look in the 'Gurus store at FW cases.

Right. FW400 is the bottleneck, and any current fast drive will be faster, so no sense making it complex.

BTW, this is true with all Macs; the only way to get a second FW channel and really increase throuput is with a PCI FW controller....even on the G5 towers. One nice thing about the PBooks is that you can add a second FW channel via the card slot.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin