Thread: Granite Digital FW 400 Enclosure Woes

Default Granite Digital FW400 + Tiger

OK. So a little less than a year ago, I purchased the Granite Digital FW 400 external PATA hard drive enclosure...the big clear cheesey looking one.

Upon receiving it, I noticed the fans were incredibly loud, and I think it was Rick (or one of the MacGurus) who advised me on the Apple forums that it may be a defect or something. At the time, however, I didn't really want to have to deal with their tech support/RMA/wasting lots of my time over some stupid fan. So, I took one out and lived with the fairly loud noise emitting from the sinlge fan.

So everything was fine, it did what it was supposed to do: back up my boot drive on one partition and act as an "extra crap" bin where I threw uneeded items at the time on the other partition. (It is a 200GB Seagate) I used silverkeeper to maintain a complete mirror backup on the backup partition.

Everything was fine, until, I believe, Tiger came along. A bit cautious at first, I left the 10.3.9 version of my boot drive on the external Seagate, just incase Tiger really messed stuff up... Well, most everything was fine. So, when I tried to run a backup with Silverkeeper, it kept on jammed up and such (I don't remember exactly what happened, but I do know that Silverkeeper did NOT want to back up to the drive) So, in a panic to get my drive backed up (because at this time I heard the clickings of what I thought to be a drive failure) to a 300GB Seagate SATA internal drive. Since then, I have tried to copy files and such to and from the external drive, with many problems. The spinning beach ball of death is a common occurance when attempting file transfers. I then relaunch the finder, only to find that my desktop icons ONLY return once I yank the FW cable to the ext drive, and then the message about "unsafely" removing ext device etc etc...

As of now the enclosure is just one big expensive paperweight taking up space on my desk, and before I go dismantling my internal drives and carriages in order to test another drive in the enclosure, I was just wondering if there is a perhaps solution to the problem.

So, let me make sense of my ramblings. Is it (a) a case defect, or incompatibilty with Tiger (b) a drive defect (and only having one fan probably contributed to this, if it is infact a drive problem) or (c) just my impatience to wait for the relatively slow data transfer of FW 400?

Any input/thoughts/answers are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bret

Lightbulb

Bret,

I use Granite FW400, have to say it is whisper quiet, it was bare case and I added my own drive (Hitachi 7K250 160GB 8MB cache). No problem - ever - except when I tried using a newer Sonnet Tango2 instead of the original Tango, or the native FW ports on MDD.

As long as you practice good habits with connecting, disconnecting, unmounting - it works. FW is very "unforgiving" of hard restarts.

Are you sure that SilverKeeper is Tiger/FireWire compatible?

There are a number of reports of problems with Spotlight and FW drive conflicts. Turning off Spotlight can help. Some programs now properly deal with metadata and the indexes Spotlight uses (you don't usually want to copy those during a backup).

What Mac are you using?
    Is it on native FW ports?
    FW PCI controller?
    Granite FireVue cable?

Fans are there to protect the drive from heat by providing air flow over and around drives. Many people actually add small drive bay coolers, usually for hotter drives or multi-drive enclosures. If you want noise, the MDD has a louder hum, or try even a small single 10K SCSI drive case.
    FireVue 1394-IDE Bridge LUN0:

Manufacturer: Granite Digital
    Model: 0x0
    GUID: 0x4DA00E00172EB
    Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
    Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
    Sub-units:
    FireVue 1394-IDE Bridge LUN0 Unit:
    Unit Software Version: 0x10483
    Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
    Firmware Revision: 0x29
    Product Revision Level:
    Sub-units:
    Purchased in March 2004, about the same time frame.

Believe me, I don't want noise, and have plenty of it when my MDD goes into airplane turbine/leafblower mode. ;-D

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the latest version of SilverKeeper which I believe somewhere LaCie said is Tiger compatible. (It works with an internal drive, so it must be to some extent) It was working fine with the enclosure before though, so I don't think it is the software, as I have had problems with the HD itself, not just silverkeeper.

I have the enclosure hooked up to a FW card, which, now that I think about it may be the problem, but again, it's been working fine before. (although I should prob replace it with a "certified" Mac compat. card) The dinky 3 ft granite digital FW cable is too short to reach the built in FW ports (LOL) so it's on the card.

I think there is def something wrong with the fans, because you are the 3rd person that has confirmed their enclosure is "Whisper quiet." Mine can be audibly heard over my MDD G4. I have a dual 867Mhz with the following in the tower: 1.75 Gbytes of RAM, the 1.5 additional being from Crucial, 3 seagate HDs (2 SATA, one ATA/66) and IBM boot drive on ATA/100, a seritek SATA card, and that cheapo FW card.

Bret

Lightbulb

Tiger can change/add/resolve lots of things

If you are using a generic FW card, that would be my first suspect. thanks to problems with the Sonnet card, I'm looking at Adaptec USB2 only and a separate Adaptec FW card maybe.

"dinky" though, is not a word I would use for FireVue Isolator cables

I did pick up some longer ones (not cheap) that I sometimes use - and leave the FW drive on a shelf.

The FireVue case is so quiet I don't realize it is even on - until I turn off the MDD. I have two small SCSI Burlys that sound like jet engines with loud 80mm fans - now those should definitely be replaced with high CFM quiet fans! Always an option.

OK, they aren't dinky, just cheap for including a 3ft cable. The LED is nice.... it illuminates most of the ports so I can see what I'm doing when plugging in stuff.

Anywho, do you think I should contact them about the fan noise? Would they be willing to send a replacement enclosure, or at least replacement fans?

I will be picking up a FW card today, to replace the current, and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks again for your help,
    Bret

Lightbulb

Those are sturdy cables that also help to protect the FW ports. FireVue or Isolator 3' cables go for $29. Look at how Apple no longer even includes FW cable on iPods now.

Fans are a 'user upgrade' - people change out fans on their G4s all the time.

There are dozens of sites that sell Pabst, SilentX, Verax and other makes and models of fans. Or try your luck with another case. If you don't like plastic, look for aluminum.

Default fans

I cannot speak to the drive issues you are experiencing, but can to the fan noise, I have the same Granite type of unit and I too experience the leaf blower effect.

I called them and they sent me a replacement fan no charge, I have yet to install it though, getting ready to.

russ

Default Give them a chance to help you.

I would recommend calling tech support at Granite Digital. I have dealt with them on two issues in the last few months and found their guy (Kenny, I think) to be very responsive and pleaseant to deal with. They stood behind their product.

Among other things of theirs, I have a (3 1/2") Firevue 800 case similar to yours and the fans on it are not what I would call noisy. They appear to be a standard size fan and so you can take one of them to the local store and look for one that will fit into the same space.

The 5 1/4" case of theirs that I have is not noisy until the DVD spins up initially, but that is not the result of the case fans.

I have considered taking one of my fans shopping not because it is noisy, but to see if there was a higher output fan available, but was waiting for the warranty to expire before I did anything they might frown upon.