Thread: QS Power Problem

Default QS Power Problem

QS 733/256, 120Gig, ATI9000

When I push the power switch, it lights up and will stay on for just a little while and then shut down. The main fan does turn but of course goes off as soon as power is gone. Tried bypassing power switch by using ADB type keyboard with the power button on it with same result. Replaced power supply with same result. I kinda think I know where this is going (motherboard) but wanted to see if anyone else might have had same problem and hopefully found something other than mobo to be the culprit.
    Thanks for any considerationl.

Default Sounds like you have covered the bases...

did you try disconnecting the front panel board when you attached the USB with Power Button?

could be just the CPU itself which is a whole lot cheaper than the logic board.

try the open firmware (command-option-o-f) and see if that opens the OF.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

try the open firmware (command-option-o-f) and see if that opens the OF.
    Read these two Apple KB's first...
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

FYI - I have a QS 733 (now with a Giga DP 1.33), a Seritek + 120GB Seagate, stock 40 and 60 gig hard drives, a Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB version. Never had power issues. I have run this computer practically 24/7 since I've owned it.

Randy

Unhappy Re: power problem

I do not get anywhere near seeing anything on the monitor that would allow me to even try resetting PRAM or anything else. When I push the power button, it lights up as normal and then after just a few seconds will dim and shut down. This led me to believe initially that I had a bad power supply. Had a spare and installed it with same result. While I hope and hope that it is not the mobo, I am probably going to have to face the music and accept that fact. Anyway, thanks for the responses. Just wish I was able to get at least to a point that would allow me to just try booting into open firmware, etc.

Lightbulb

Sounds like it is time to go for the mythical Voodoo Reset.

Good luck.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Wink

When I first posted on this board, it was for the very same quandary... After we got through with all the Voodoos & Co., it turned out to be the mobo after all. At that time replacements were still very expensive. I got a used, in exc. condition QS at eBay for less. Good news for U... If U have a little patience (...?) U can find a decent 'pull' QS mobo on eBay for often less than $ 200,-
    One seller consistently offers some which may have dead USB or FW (install a PCI card) or Ethernet ports... Otherwise fine. I know, I bought one.
    Meanwhile let's hope U won't have to go through the trouble.

Default MDD PSU in QS case

Need a beefy PSU?
    Photos of Mods to mount MDD Pwr Supply in a Quicksilver Tower - Eugene sent photos and info on Mounting a MDD Pwr Supply in a Quicksilver Tower. After doing the required wiring mods first of course. (BTW - if anyone's looking for a MDD Pwr Supply let me know, a reader has a rev A for $10 and a rev B (new in box w/fans) for $25.) - www.xlr8yourmac.com