Thread: ibook won't start

Default ibook won't start

My ibook G4 showed its screen saver when I looked at it, but the screen saver would not give way to the usual display. I shut the computer down, but when I attempted a restart, got a long steady tone (not the usual Mac chimes), and then the Mac startup screen, but without the whirling clock display. After several attempted restarts, I did get the whirling display, but the startup would proceed no further.

I ran Apple Hardware Test, and got this:

***ERROR CODE***ERROR CODE***
    2STF/4/3,ATA-100 ATA-6 - Master

I assume this means that my hard drive is fried. Is this correct? If so, what is my next move?

Thanks,

Robert

Lightbulb

Boot from your emergency CD you made with BootCD, or Panther/Tiger Install disk and check the drive, then check smart status, etc. try to backup and then zero the drive in full first.

I don't use "flurry" as it does seem to be buggy.

Heat? age? Try booting from Apple Hardware Test too.

I assume you allow hard drive to spin-down when not in use which does seem iffy at times and drives not spinning back up.

When rebooting after a hard freeze like that, I would boot from CD rather than the hard drive (even keep a CD in the bay) or boot into single user mode and run fsck or install and run AppleJack.

Default sorry for my ignorance

Thanks for your speedy reply. I certainly need help, at least to rescue my data. Sorry for my ignorance, but you used terms I do not comprehend:

zero the drive in full first

I don't use "flurry"

boot into single user mode and run fsck or install and run AppleJack

If you will be kind enough to elucidate, I will give it my best shot.

Thanks,

Robert

Lightbulb

Robert,

Could you take a look in the Troubleshooting Guide and Help forum, that should get you to "OS X Maintenance" and check books for "Missing Manual." Then MacUpdate to get AppleJack.

SUM: hold down command + s on startup brings up command prompt.

fsck: disk utility type command line version (you need to use "fsck -y) and the prompt will even "prompt" you to run /sbin/fsck. fsck -fy is needed if you have journaling. -f to force and -y is just to auto respond with yes to any prompt instead of "do you or don't you want to do xyz."

Macintouch, Macfixit, Apple support, google, but just like repairing permissions has become "normal" so too, is some maintenance. I even resisted the idea that OS X would require too much command line knowledge, but it is fairly light.

AppleJack: run auto mode. It prompts you. It is easier to do than describe. And it is in the FAQs. Repair drive, repair permissions, delete caches, verify preference files, delete swap file(s). All of which you want to do at this point.

A disk repair should be rerun until it is declared clean. Tiger automatically does that. Jaguar had to be run twice at least, the first pass would often say there were errors no matter what, falsely, which is why I tell people Jaguar is/was "beta."

www.macdevcenter link on how to keep a mac healthy is in the FAQ Maintenance.

Lightbulb

Zero drive:

From disk utility -> erase -> options -> zero all...

You'll need to boot from FW backup system or CD.

If you run Panther, look up "BootCD" so you can have an emergency CD. Easy to do, walks you through, more complicated in the story and telling. But useful. Not yet updated for Tiger.

It helps to have in your User profile dislay options ".sig" what systems, OS, etc you run when people read or respond to a post. Mac, OS, anything unique.

Follow TZs advice.

If your HD is toast, odds are the data is long gone, but doing fsck is your best bet to see if it is still readable. Expect the worst though. Zeroing the drive is what should be done after you have given up hope of retrieving data, and are preparing to start over reinstalling everything.

If you boot to your OS installer CD, you can also run Disk Utility from the CD, so you can check the drive and see if it mounts, can be repaired, etc.

If you have another Mac, you could boot the laptop to target mode and try looking at the drive fromt the second Mac....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default fried drive?

I tried repairing the disk from the terminal, and was told the disk could not be repaired.

I tried I tried several times to see the ibook in firewire target mode, but the drive did not show up on my other computer.

I tried an archive and clean system install, twice, and was told that

I did download applejack, but do not know how to get it on the ibook so that it can be used from the terminal (my ignorance perhaps).

What next, please?

Default p.s.

sorry, left out a few words--

was told that the installation failed, and to try again

Lightbulb

AppleJack can only be installed on the boot drive you are running from. Something you don't want to do until it is repaired. Same with trying to add or install - only way would be to zero the drive after removing files first, meaning it has to mount. And it sounds like it won't mount, meaning the director is clobbered and/or driver partitions.

Zero all helps to find and map out most (but not all) bad blocks.

If running fsck while booted from the command line in single user mode doesn't work, you'll need 3rd party utility or wipe the drive.
    If you have data on the drive I've heard of two methods, Data Rescue or DiscJockey. Have no first hand experience with either. both are about $90 I would guess.

I would go shopping for a disk drive, and maybe pick up a 2.5" FW case in case you can later get at the drive and retrieve data from it.

Default another question please

first, thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it.

after repeated attempts, I finally got the ibook drive to show up in FW target mode, and have been able to copy it onto my other computer.

Two questions please:

1. How can I test the ibook drive to see if it needs replacement?

2. Assuming that I zero out the present drive, or install a new drive, how do I copy back onto the ibook from the files now stored on my other computer? Never having done this, I assume that without any data on the ibook drive, it cannot function in target mode. So what is the best way to restore?

Thanks,

Robert

I should think that even if the drive is erased or zero'd or even with a new drive, it should mount in target mode, but I don't recall ever trying this, so not positive.
    Secondly, I would buy a new drive. Do not trust your data to the old drive, even if you dodged a bullet and have managed to retrieve the data. Your old drive is highly suspect and I would not use it except for only the most transitory data storage. Also, just my two cents but, get a Seagate Momentus HD. I think that they still make the highest quality drives available. Buy the largest you can afford and get the fastest (5400 RPM) with the largest cache.
    Oh yea, and buy it from macgurus, who else?