Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sound weirdness

Quote Originally Posted by biggles
    Gordon,

I haven't any more suggestions for the wacka-wacka problem, but I think this might be what you're looking for to use the 001 for audio in OS X without PTLE installed. I didn't ever use Core Audio with my 001, but use it all the time with the 002R. Whether it will work with the applications you want to use I can't say, and you can't use it to play Mac System sounds like beeps and alerts, but it works great for iTunes, Media Player, Real Player, QuickTime, &c.

biggles.
    THANK YOU!! I am now (at this very moment) playing iTunes through my 001, and NO WACKA-WACKINESS! System beeps through the external speaker still go wacka-wacka, but who cares? The root prob, of course and whatever the hell it is, is still there, and nobody in the Mac sysadmin group in the music department at the University of Texas can suss it out, either. Oh, well, it's pretty much of a non-issue now. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
    Gordon in Austin

I'm real glad that worked for you, but still curious about the wacka-wacka thing. If you ever figure it out, or do something which makes it go away (not necessarily the same thing!), please let us know.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn
    I am assuming that the software settings to which you refer are ProTools settings
    Not necessarily. There are additional settings in the Sound Control Panels of the OS. Probably not the problem, but it never hurts to double-check. Sometimes we overlook the obvious in the pursuit of the bizarre.

If there are software settings that could cause this but which do not involve ProTools, please (PLEASE!) enlighten me.
    Not having access to your system it hard for me to tell you what is in there. My options are simple: built-in in/out.

What I've got is amplitude modulation of my system sound; I don't think it's feedback. I've been doing audio engineering for a long time, and I've configured systems with circular audio paths many kinds of ways (and I have the hearing loss to prove it). This doesn't sound like any feedback I've ever heard.

That said, I have no idea what you mean by "play-through". Is it a system setting?
    I've heard feedback that sounds very similar to "wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka" when it comes to strictly internal signal paths.

Play-through is an option in the Sound Control Panel that routes the input signal to the output. Obviously this has the potential to cause problems if your input device is capturing your output.

Good to see one of us has managed to help you out though. biggles is pretty sharp on the PT stuff. Me I'm just a hack.

Default Hardware audio interfaces need their respected OS's drivers

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn
    The startup chime is fine, it's only after it's booted that the sound does that. No, I haven't done the Open Firmware reset, though I have zapped PRAM. Does the fact that the startup chime is normal have any bearing on your NVRAM suggestion?

It's a dual boot machine, and I'm running PTLE on OS 9.2. It's been really stable for a long time, so I am really not wanting to upgrade PT to an OSX version. Is there a way to run the built in audio through my 001 even though PT is installed on the other boot disk and on OS9? I looked at the output device screen in System Preferences, and I didn't see the 001 as an option. I could install PT on the OSX disk as well so that the drivers would be in place, but mightn't it freak out with two installed versions of PT with the same authorization code?

You asked about audio feedback. I'm sure that that's not the prob, but I have disconnected the 001 at the connector on the back of it, and the prob was still there.
    If you know analog synths, what it sounds like is if the output is going through a VCA with a 4 Hz sine wave on the control input. Whatever sound is generated goes from full off to full on 4 times/sec, hence wacka-wacka.
    Get OS X driver for Digi oo1 have that load at OS X Boot. Make sure OS 9 Digi 001 driver loads with OS9 Boot. That way OS X system sounds know how to be output through your Digi 001. Makes sense ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    Get OS X driver for Digi oo1 have that load at OS X Boot. Make sure OS 9 Digi 001 driver loads with OS9 Boot. That way OS X system sounds know how to be output through your Digi 001. Makes sense ?
    Actually, CoreAudio made it work; I was able to designate the 001 as the sound output device in OSX. It didn't solve the root cause; all my system sounds still go through the internal speaker and go wacka-wacka, but iTunes and such play fine over the 001 in OSX.
    Gordon in Austin