Thread: Finder overwhelmed

Default Finder overwhelmed

I have a G4 Mac running OSX Panther with a 466MGHz (slow) processor and
    768MB of RAM. I inadvertently moved all the contents of an attachments save forder (about 1400 documents of various sizes), that was on the desktop, to the desk top. My intent had been to put all those documents in the trash but my mouse move bobbled and they landed on the desktop out of their folder. This very bad move has caused the Finder to be overwhelmed. I am unable to execute any operation such as moving the unwanted documents to the trash for removal. If I shut down and restart the computer, the Finder very slowly rewrites all those documents to the desktop and this makes the computer essentially useless. I don't know what to do and am afraid of doing something that will cause the loss of my files and years of work. This is my work computer. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

Lightbulb

Try booting from another drive or CD. I hope you have made a backup of your system, or try booting in OS 9 or from a FW drive.

I am sure that there is a way to boot into Single User Mode and copy the files or even compress, but I don't think I could talk you through.

Your desktop is ~/Desktop (for home directory) or /Users/account/Desktop

Me thinks www.macosxhints.com is worth a look.

When you say that you are "unable to execute any operation such as moving the unwanted documents to the trash for removal" and "the Finder very slowly rewrites all those documents to the desktop and this makes the computer essentially useless", what is it precisely that you can't do? Having 1400 items on the Desktop is outside of my experience so I'm only guessing here, and a bit more info about the predicament you're in would help. Like, "Why can't you move stuff to the Trash?" What happens when you try. In the Finder, Command-A should select all items on the Desktop, and Control-Click on any item should give you the option to move it all to the Trash. Are these options unavailable? Is the mouse operating? Do you get any error messages?

Like TZ said, I'm sure there is a way in Single User mode to move these items off the Desktop but I'm sure not the one to tell you how to do it. Jazzbo?

Do you have just the one System volume? Could you create another on any convenient drive?
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Lightbulb

Before doing much more, I would boot from your Panther CD and run First Aid to verify/repair the drive in case you forced quit and there is directory damage, which could be causing problems.

If it does repair the volume, or say that it needs to (verify first), then consider using Disk Utility Restore to copy the volume to another drive.

If you do force shutdown, it is a good policy to boot into Single user mode and run fsck (if you have journaling a safe boot may be enough, or run fsck -fy).

If Disk Utility can't repair the drive and there is an error, consider using Disk Warrior 3.02 (3.03 for Tiger) or TechTool Pro 4.04.

If you have Tiger I'd use the DVD - it will sometimes rerun a repair automatically if there is an error. Sometimes you have to run Repair (not repair permissions which is a separate item) multiple times.

I have folders with over 1200 items in them and it is not a problem to open those on MDD 1.25SP. I do find ATA drives can get bogged down more with large folders and disk activity than SCSI, so I try to avoid using ATA when possible.