Thread: Installer Won't Allow New Volumes for Old Beige

Default Installer Won't Allow New Volumes for Old Beige

Installed a new, 120GB hard drive in my trusty, vintage beige (XLR8 G4 500 upgrade). After various experiments, set up three partitions in Mac OS X Disk Utility's Partition window. They look like this:

7.9GB
    102 GB (or something like that)
    7.9GB

Mac OS X 10.2 can only be installed on a partition on the first 8GB of the drive in this old beast, so the idea was to test where to put the partition. Mac OS X installer will not allow itself to be installed on either of the 7.9GB volumes! So:

(1) Which is the first partition, the top one or the bottom one (I'd think the top, based on how the window numbers the partitions)?

(2) Can I use a full 8GB? It can't see the 7.9GB anyway.

(3) What do I do to get this to work?

This was only an experiment. Ultimately, I want only one small partition, unless anyone thinks it would be good to have a second bootable partition as a backup?

Either get a PCI ATA card, or you can only use 8GB, and that includes drivers and hidden partitions so it is more like 7.75GB.

Default The Importance of Hard Drives

Wouldn't you know it, TZ; upon trying again today doing exactly what I did before, everything worked fine. The system will not allow an 8GB partition, but is perfectly happy with 7.95GB created in Disk Utility, which then appears as 7.94GB in the Finder.

I'm looking into getting a new computer and this new hard drive was really maintenance, so I didn't get a PCI host card (yet). I've been impressed with the difference nevertheless. With the XLR8 G4 upgrade, Mac OS X must be installed from the CD before the backside cache can be enabled. Even so, the installation took a fraction of the time it took with the old hard drive, maybe forty minutes instead of several hours. Off hand, for simple things such as poking about in the Finder, the System on the new hard drive without the caches enabled felt a hair faster than the System on the old hard drive with the caches enabled. So, there's my lesson in the importance of hard drives. Apparently there is a lot the computer does that takes almost no processing power, so that for those tasks, the speed of the computer becomes a direct expression of the speed of the hard drive.

Lightbulb

The hard drive is the slowest component, generally, and makes a difference, which is why even with fast systems, people still opt for SCSI or 10K SATA Raptor or even a 300GB 16MB cache drive (the cache there helps, too).

I chose the PL G3/1.0 thanks to its L2 cache (1MB) doesn't need software to enable, and runs at same clock as cpu.

Glad you got it working. And learned a bit about upgrades. Ryan is working on XPF 4 so that we can bypass the 8GB totally, and trick the system into using and seeing it as NewWorld system, use newer NVRAM tricks, even support FW booting and more. Quite an accomplishment.

Always try to have a clone of your system and an emergency backup plan if possible. And good luck!

Default How Do You Clone a System?

Installing the new System was way faster with the new drive, but overall, the vintage Mac still feels vintage. It is amazing what it does, eight years after being new, with the help of a few upgrades from the Gurus.

> Always try to have a clone of your system

I've never known how to do that. The copied system never works, only one installed by the Installer. There must be invisible files that are copy protected. How do you get around that?

There is a whole section in the FAQ/Troubleshooting on cloning/backups and how to move /Users.

As long as you do it right, Disk Utility Restore will work, just be sure to turn off "Ignore Ownership" flag in Volume's Get Info BEFORE the restore begins (probably after you have erased the target destination). I always repair permissions just to be sure before restore, and then afterwards on the target. Then run XPF 4 to boot from your clone. Works fine.

Some 3rd party programs won't, and cloning really is not just "dragging" folders over like pre-OS X. You HAVE to use an OS X utility that CAN create cloned system.

You can also clone or backup a system to .dmg as long as you have disk space and it is on a 2nd drive for destination, so you can also restore from there (you would still need a 2nd backup/clone system of course).