Thread: Couple of new user questions

Default Couple of new user questions

Hi,

Had my Mac just over a week, and slowly geeting used to it, but I have a couple of questions, that will no doubt grow as I get more used to it.

I have tried to burn my first DVD via Finder but I get the error message "The disc could not be used because the disc drive is not supported. (Error code 0x80020025).". I was using good quality media Ritek, which I have had no problems on the old Win pc.

Now I have discovered that I can't just connect to a client ftp site by typing the URL and entering my user name and password, then drag and drop. i understand that i will have to have a specific FTP programme as Tiger can't upload directly...anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Tony

I should add that the majority of uploads via ftp will be hockey photos, so largish files.

Tony,

Welcome to the MacGurus Forums. I use Interarchy 7.3.3 in Tiger. http://www.interarchy.com/main/ and love it.

That DVD burner problem, is that an internal SuperDrive? Which model computer? And which model DVD burner? Is it recognized in Tiger System Profiler? k

I must be losing my mind. I see your hardware.

You have this model SuperDrive?
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109:

Firmware Revision: A912
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
    Cache: 2000 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
    Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
    Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    k

Yes Kaye,

In system profiler, I get that complete list and tagged on the bottom is

Media: No

I get that Media: No too when there is no blank media in the SuperDrive. When there is, I get:
    Media:
    Media Type: DVD-R
    Blank: Yes
    Erasable: No
    Overwritable: Yes
    Appendable: Yes
    k

A couple of things I need to ask, have you looked at Help > Mac Help from the Finder? I typed in burn disc finder and there were a number of hits in Help Viewer but the top one produced this:

Mac Help
    Index

Creating CDs and DVDs using the Finder
    If your computer has a Combo drive or a CD-R/CD-RW drive, you can burn files onto CD discs using the Finder. If your computer has a SuperDrive, you can burn files on CD and DVD discs.

By default, Mac OS X burns CD discs in a format that can also be used on non-Macintosh computers.

Insert a blank CD or DVD disc into the optical drive of your computer.
    Type a name for the disc in the dialog that appears (if CDs & DVDs preferences are set to "Ask what to do"), or under the CD icon if no dialog appears.
    If you see the dialog, you can choose an action from the pop-up menu and select "Make this action the default" if you want the same thing to happen every time you insert a blank disc. Then click OK.

Drag files and folders to the open disc window and arrange the files exactly as you want them. The names of files, folders, and the disc can't be changed after the CD is burned.
    Choose File > Burn Disc.
    Select the burn speed and click Burn.
    You can also use applications with a disc-burning feature (such as iTunes or iPhoto) to burn CDs.

See also
    burning CDs and DVDs

My other question, can you link me to the exact Ritek DVD that you are using, maybe where you purchased it? Reason I ask is that there are some online stores that guarantee that a particular blank DVD will work in a SuperDrive. k

Kaye,

I'm in the office at the moment, I'll have a look at this in detail tonight and post...thanks

Tony

Kaye,

When I insert the DVD I get up a box which asks me to choose an action, as I intended to burn from the finder I OK'd open Finder, it was then that I got the error message.

The media was bought from www.cd-rmedia.co.uk but the type appears to be discontinued. It is branded RiDisc manufactured by Ritek Taiwan, and has two tone purple/lilac on the front and the purple colouring on the recorable side.

I have repaired permissions on that disc as well, and I am still getting the same message. My copy of Toast arrived today so I think I will just go with that (hopefully) although I still want to resolve this as it is useful to have a backup system.

Tony

Tony,

Sorry, I missed your last post. I tried exactly your method of trying to burn from the Finder and I did not get an error message. The blank DVD mounted as unnamed as well as an empty Burn Folder with the burn icon on it for filling the folder.

When you say you repaired permissions, you mean your boot drive? If not, you do need to repair permissions for your boot drive. I do that after every install of software or updaters. If errors are found by Disk Utility to permissions I quit Disk Utility and relaunch it to repair permissions on the boot drive again. Some installs require a reboot first but after that my first step is to repair permissions.

If you have been repairing your boot drive, then I think it is the media. I bought 100 blank DVD-R back when my QuickSilver was new. I still use them like frisbees in my MDD and pretty soon to be, my G5. They are old 2x I think but I have not experienced coasters and the G5 PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109 recognizes them just fine. They are silver on the top and light purple like yours on the record side.

The brand is BeAll made by a division of Samsung. I ordered from http://meritline.com/ but of course you will want to order in your country. I have not visited Meritline in a long time and they don't even list the DVR-109 yet as compatible with any or their Ritek or BeAll or Samsung blanks.

Hopefully something I have said and the link will help. k

Kaye,

Being very new to Mac, a lot of the terminology is somewhat confusing. All I did to "repair" was to "repair permissions" on my main Hard Drive which is where the OS and my applications are stored, I assume that this is the Boot drive and that there is no "sub drive" within it.

It went through the process, said it had found three errors (slightly suprising as I have only had the machine 3 weeks, and the only software installed was Office for Mac supplied by Apple)..... are you saying that once repaired I should quit Disk Utility, reopen it and run the reapir operation again? And that after every software install I should do this Repair permissions again?

I'm going to try to burn a DVD tonight through Toast and see what happens and then try with the "Burn Folder" in Finder...I'll report back.

Thanks for your patience

Tony

Yes Tony, main Hard Drive = Boot drive = Startup drive. And yes, I am super safe in that if there are reported repairs done I quit Disk Utility, relaunch it, and repair permissions again, although I must admit that this Tiger version of Disk Utility (DU) seems to be much improved over the last Panther version.

I also use Toast Titanium and like it very much. I use iMovie and iDVD probably the most. Am going to have to get some DVD+R Dual Layer (DL) blanks to try out. k

Default sending files to FTP site

Galahad,

Give Fetch a try. It is a shareware program. I use it to send my files to my printer. The files range in size from 1 MB to 20 MB and you have the option of sending a folder of files as well.

I like it. It has been dependable for me.

In terms of the other problems you mentioned, I have no idea how to help.

Tim