Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Video artifacts with GD Dual 1.8...help!

force prebinding
    Never did this so how?
    Try to reclibrate the monitor using Colorsync and select a different color temperatur, play a bit with the slider. If I am right the CRT will flipp to complete pink or cyan at some point, than the embedded profile is damaged.
    So your saying to adjust it to anywhere else because "just the spot" I am at now is bad/corrupted?

macrobert -
    It's too bad I'm having so much trouble with this upgrade. If not for the video artifacts, I'd be enjoying myself with this. I have the original processor back in the QS and have no video artifacts or any problems at all.
    I had this problem start nearly a year before my Giga upgrade (when I went to 10.3.x or very close). I had my old processor in also a month or so ago for 2-3 weeks and problem was still there.

Randy

macrobert

I think it is software related. Just never figured out exactly what. I had a digital camera from work to test and every image came in fine until around the 10.3.x upgrade thats when it seem to have started for me.

Using an ATI Radeon 9000 Mac Pro (64MB) now, First had my stock GF2 and borrowed a GF3.. all the same - no go.

I could boot into 10.2.8 and import to iphotos fine and then drag them into my 10.3.x iPhoto no problem .. yes a pain.

I really think it is a software issue. It's not my Giga... I know that.

Nic - I been messing with ColorSync .. I don't know if I am doing things right or not.

Randy,

I posted some of the man page for the force_prebinding earlier, as did Nicolas. I wouldn't think it would. Searching for ColorSync and delete, yes. And rerun the 10.3.9 100MB combined update.

Hi guys, I've been watching this thread and it strikes me that it's one of those totally intractable problems where nothing seems to make it better, and since it's post-Giga-upgrade in macrobert's case then the Giga comes up as #1 suspect, but I know Randy had this problem of his last year, before installing the Giga. When macrobert falls back to the stock CPU the problem goes away. Aaaargh!

It doesn't make sense to me that the Giga upgrade is the root cause of these video artifacts, but perhaps it's higher performance is making demands on something else which can't cope. And having just been around the houses with Boyd9 and his major hassles with a new Giga upgrade in his QS I feel that I ought to stick my oar in here and suggest that you guys consider your RAM. No! I have absolutely no idea why or how a dodgy stick of RAM might produce these artifacts, but I'd be interested to know if changing your RAM configuration (maybe try one stick at a time?) makes any difference, and have you run Memtest? TZ posted a great link here.

I know, it's shot in the dark, but what have you got to lose?

biggles.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Randy,

take a look at post #6 and #7 in this thread for the prebinding thing.

I switched to the original, Sony setting (wich appears automaticaly) take a look:

The desktop appears ok but the images

With Custom Profile

Here is what will happen if I switch to 6.500 degrees Kelvin.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Biggles,

good suggestion!

Bad RAM or heat can do nearly everything.

I think Randys problem is software/Colorsync related but it looks like Macroberts one is a hardware compatibitlity (RAM, Video, or something of that kind).

Regards

Nicolas

The Finder icon was looking like this:

prebinding fixed it.

Regards

Nicolas

Thumbs up Fixed Fixed

Fixed it looks. Thanks TZ, and everyone. The fix was...

I searched for "Colorsync" trashed ALL of the items then I ran the 10.3.9 Combined update (117MB)

Safari and Finder both look good .. need to dig deeper.

Long time on this... gave it up a while back. Real Happy now. - Randy

Thumbs up Great news Randy

Glad to hear you solved this.

Regards

Nicolas

Lightbulb

This was a learning experience. And surprised.

I never would have guessed a couple things but colorsync came up in another discussion on video problems elsewhere, and the Macfixit tutorial on RAM today. Throwing out caches seems normal, as does a follow up with Combo update - and 10.3.9 has the latest video drivers, that was one of its main points (aside from stepping into the javascript nightmare).

Wow!

This was a learning experience. And surprised.
    Yes indeed, ColorSync kept coming into the picture. But me not knowing it well enough .. I tweaked it a fair amount the past year - never really knowing if I was doing enough or to much. Trashing every ColorSync file/folder .... it's all fixed again.

It's really nice to look at tomorrows weather report and it says "Sunny" and the sun is yellow.... not greenish.

macrobert - I hope you find a software glitch also but it sounds more like a hardware problem since another processor fixes it. (thanks for getting me working on this again). Were here to help .. or get help in my case today.

Thanks again guys,
    Randy

This gives me a little hope. Just got back from a dinner. Will try this with my 10.3.8 partition...trash all Colorsync stuff then install 10.3.9.

(Crosses fingers)
    Quicksilver 933 w/Giga Designs Dual 1.8 GHz upgrade, 1.5 GB RAM, WD Caviar SE EIDE 120 GB + stock 60 GB HDs, Pioneer DVR-109, OS X 10.4, OWC-modded ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

I tried two things: I deleted all my Colorsync files on my 10.3.8 partition. I then installed the 10.3.9 upgrade. Same artifacts in all Apple products.

I have a partition I use purely for data. It has no native OS. I therefore did a fresh install of Tiger onto that partition. This was the result on bootup:

Worse than on any of my other partitions.

Definitely a hardware problem. I will be asking for a refund. I didn't want it to end this way, but this is unacceptable.
    Quicksilver 933 w/Giga Designs Dual 1.8 GHz upgrade, 1.5 GB RAM, WD Caviar SE EIDE 120 GB + stock 60 GB HDs, Pioneer DVR-109, OS X 10.4, OWC-modded ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by biggles
    It doesn't make sense to me that the Giga upgrade is the root cause of these video artifacts, but perhaps it's higher performance is making demands on something else which can't cope. And having just been around the houses with Boyd9 and his major hassles with a new Giga upgrade in his QS I feel that I ought to stick my oar in here and suggest that you guys consider your RAM. No! I have absolutely no idea why or how a dodgy stick of RAM might produce these artifacts, but I'd be interested to know if changing your RAM configuration (maybe try one stick at a time?) makes any difference, and have you run Memtest? TZ posted a great link here.

I know, it's shot in the dark, but what have you got to lose?

biggles.
    I ran the machine with each stick of RAM and the problem was the same. I even plugged the upgrade into several different plugs inside the Quicksilver. Same result. I ran Memtest when I had the first upgrade and had difficulty. Memory all checked out. Thanks for all the suggestions but I don't think this will work out.

Looks like bad VRAM (Video RAM) but, if it only apears with the Giga installed ?????

Long time ago I had an ATI card in my 8600 wich was upgraded with twice the VRAM. After the upgrade the screen looks equal to yours lots of colored stripes over the entire screen. Turns out that the VRAM module was defective.

Last suggestions:

Is there a new firmware for the Nvidia video card?
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120168
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...reupdater.html

Last thing you could try, install OS9 on a free drive just to test if this happens on OSX only.

Regards

Nicolas
    Last edited by Nicolas; 05-26-2005 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks for the tip. That didn't work, either, though.

I haven't given up yet. Working with Jason and Rick on a solution.

I really appreciate all efforts here regarding this vexing problem.

macrobert

I never saw anything like your seeing on your screen. My screen was always good, background good. My problem primarily existed with just some jpeg's, gifs and other photos at different web sites. Often 8 photos were good and one "strange" . Just the pink/blue on the finder "sort buttons" seemed affected otherwise.

My first guess would be Graphics card but we have your Giga history... so hummm.

I keep following this.. good luck. Rick might be very busy this next 10 days or so but he won't leave you hanging - emails might take a little longer this next week.
    Randy

My own efforts continue...

I replaced the memory with that from another machine. Same problem.

I borrowed another video card to rule out the bad VRAM theory. Had the same video artifacts with the other video card, an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro-Mac Edition.

I am wondering whether this particular upgrade has difficulty sharing power with the AGP port? This is an engineering problem I now think I don't have the expertise to solve.

Default *UPDATE* Problem SOLVED!

I sent the Gigabump back to Jason. After extensive testing, he found that he had video artifacts in most things in the two Macs he tested with. It turns out that it was a voltage regulator on the GigaBump, not my machine.

WHEW.

It turns out that the third time has been the charm as I now have a working dual 1.8 GHz Gigabump in my Quicksilver. No dead procs, no video artifacts, just good, fast G4-ness. Thanks to Jason for his patience and hard work figuring out what happened. GD's (e.g. Jason's) service has been exemplary. Thanks also go to Rick for his help.

This thing's gotta last me until the new Mactel PowerMacs come out in a year or two! I'm glad I didn't give up and buy a G5....

Lightbulb

Hopefully, this will help others and future versions of GD cpu upgrade kits. I'm glad you and Jason got to the bottom of this one! and sorry it had to occur in the first place.