Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Video artifacts with GD Dual 1.8...help!

Default Video artifacts with GD Dual 1.8...help!

My system is as described in my signature below. I purchased a dual 1.8 GHz upgrade on 5/4. Worked fine at first, but then started getting random freezes. I determined one of the processors was shot, sent it to GD for analysis. I received a replacement (thanks, Jason!) and this one works except for one thing:

Video artifacts. I see red or green vertical lines through random images. I see this in Safari, Quicktime, and Preview. I also saw them in the opening dialog box one sees when booting up OS X. I see them in both 10.4.1 and 10.3.8, which are present on two separate hard drives in the same box. I don't see it in Firefox on either version of OS X. I have uninstalled and re-installed the GD 7447 firmware upgrade, reseated the processor twice, pulled out the non-Apple memory, pushed the CUDA button, zapped the PRAM, reset disk permissions, and I still get the same result. Checked with Jason tonight and he says that the core voltage is set correctly, and he's researching the issue.

Has anyone seen this with any other GD upgrades, or this one? Is it just that my Quicksilver 2002 doesn't like upgrades? Does anyone have any other ideas? I truly want to make this work, and all seems well except for this. I'm going to try downclocking it, but the idea of not getting the speed I paid for is not so great. I'm not sure reinstalling the OS will be helpful here, either.

HELP!
    Quicksilver 933 w/Giga Designs Dual 1.8 GHz upgrade, 1.5 GB RAM, WD Caviar SE EIDE 120 GB + stock 60 GB HDs, Pioneer DVR-109, OS X 10.4, OWC-modded ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

Arrow Sorry, some questions

Are you using Graphiccelerator?

Sounds like a gone bad video card to me.

Is it a LCD?

Can you take a picture?

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

It's funny you ask for images. I was just about to post some. I don't think the video card is bad at all. It works perfectly well with the original processor in. I don't use the Graphicaccelerator program...never heard of it.

Downclocking to 1.73 GHz didn't work.

Here's one file, others to follow.
    Quicksilver 933 w/Giga Designs Dual 1.8 GHz upgrade, 1.5 GB RAM, WD Caviar SE EIDE 120 GB + stock 60 GB HDs, Pioneer DVR-109, OS X 10.4, OWC-modded ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

I had a cyan Finder icon intead of the normal blue one.

Also other Icons changed their color.

Installed another ATI card, same issue.

Forced prebinding and repair permissions using Cocktail fixed this.

Maybe woth a try.

Could be a prebinding/permission issue due to KP's.

Regards

Nicolas

Downclocking to 1.6 GHz didn't change the artifacts. Nor did reseating the video card (it is a stock video card and never has been moved before). I reset permissions already using Disk Utility. What is prebinding?

More images:

This picture is consistently affected in Safari but not in Firefox.

Quicktime is affected....

Lightbulb

ATIccelerator II 1.0.5a.dmg - used to over-clock GPU and memory. Works on most ATI Radeons. See www.xlr8yourmac.com for more or reports.

When you have faulty RAM or cpu you could end up with data corruption and dirty filesystem. It might be just in caches folders, maybe not.

Cocktail, Tiger Cache Cleaner, etc or just use the terminal. There are notes in the Troubleshooting Guide on OS X maintenance and links to Apple articles. Programs that don't use an Apple installer sometimes need the application package libraries optimized.

Can also be done from the command line.

Code:
    NAME

update_prebinding -- Update prebinding information when new system
         libraries or frameworks are installed

SYNOPSIS

update_prebinding [-root directory] [-force] [-debug]

DESCRIPTION

update_prebinding ensures that prebinding information is up-to-date after
         new versions of system libraries are installed.  Prebinding information
         is pre-calculated address information for libraries used by a given
         library.  By pre-determining where a function in another library is des-
         tined to be placed, the dynamic linker does not have to resolve symbols
         at application startup time, and the application can launch faster.

Because each recompilation of a library may place functions at different
         addresses, a newly installed library's prebinding information might not
         match the libraries already on the disk.  When the dynamic linker deter-
         mines that prebinding information for a library could be invalid, it
         defaults to resolving all the names for that library, and for all
         libraries referenced by that library, losing any advantage of having the
         prebinding information.

The -root option specifies the directory tree to search for changed
         files.  This is usually the root directory.
    Rerun ATI Displays 4.5.1 might help also.

Prebinding

Forcing your Mac to update/rebind Applications and files to properly link them together.

You can also use Onyx
    http://www.titanium.free.fr/english.html

Regards

Nicolas

Stock video card in this Quicksilver 2002 is a 64 MB NVIDIA GeForce4 MX. Never gave me any problems until the last couple of nights, and only then with the proc upgrade. I appreciate the info on the graphics accelerator, though, interesting to know. Will try Onyx (thanks for the tip!), then a system reinstall (ewww).

Prebinding didn't work in either OS. Looks like it's on to an archive and install....

Did you confirm that the fan on the GF4 MX is working, if it has one. k

The GeForce MX in my machine doesn't have a fan.

Still seeing video artifacts even as the archive and install is installing. I'm running on the Apple memory direct from the factory--all 256 MB of it as I again pulled my added sticks.

At this point, I'm going to avail myself of the 30 day MBG and save up for a G5 unless Jason can come up with another idea. It looks like my basically stock QS 2002 (drives and memory excepted), for some reason, doesn't like these upgrades. I can't believe a third upgrade will make much difference. Sigh....

Default Appears to be exactly the something

I am glad I am not the only guy - but never figured it out. Read this post.
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16279

I need to read this thread better. I tried 2-3 graphic cards. This was going on long before my Giga upgrade - just a stock QS 733. Random images. Safari was the only bad browser all others worked fine.

I wiped a partition clean on another drive did a fresh install ... same problems.

I gave up and live with a few goofy photos. Most are great.

Randy

Lightbulb

I hope you have followed other threads posted in the last 24 hrs. RAM from Apple may not be immune or better. Have you trashed ColorSync and all /Caches folders? An archive/install has its own set of moving files around problems.

I'm glad I waited as long as I did before upgrading/buying a G4. I kept waiting and hoping for better.

We did some memory and bus benchmarking and found that cpu upgrades are much more demanding on RAM. I am beginning to think that slow, high CAS Latency, is a factor with the system... AGP has a direct to memory path. Maybe we should be using Xbox360's and forget all this

Video cable? nearby EMF?

Angry

Trying to keep up TZ, it's been a busy week - I think I tested with just my 512MB RAM - All of my RAM passed the tests . AHT, Member, DFA, and others.

macrobert - The same weird images as me. My "Preview" is also hit and miss sometimes. My 10.2.8 system never had these issues. What else is affected? - Randy

macrobert

Mine is not just Safari. I see things in the finder like this... Why is my button to list items half pink and half blue? And if I switch to by icon or columns the pink/blue show there.

Does your finder look like this...

Default Just a Suggestion

Could it be a gone bad ColorSync Profile?

If I use the profile for my Sony LCD (factory setting wich is recognized by OSX) I have those strange "failing colors" too.

Let's try something out.

Goto Utilities>Colorsync-Utility and select an other RGB Default Profile if you have one.

If this would not fix the issue.

Goto devices, select your CRT or LCD (The default prifiles are marked with a blue spot)

Now you can select a new profile is you click on the arrow besides Current Profile. Select Apple RGB default or Adobe RGB or what ever you have installed, just for testing.

Regards

Nicolas

Could it be a gone bad ColorSync Profile?
    Possible, but I don't know much about it but think I have made the proper adjustments at other times when adjusting things.

I have an older CRT HItachi 19" CM715 - My computer always sees it and creates a CM715 option. ColorSync Profile was on Generic RGB Profile so I switched it to CM715 - no change.

I tossed these two...
    colorsync_unsupp_func.html - a Safari
    com.apple.colorsync.profiles.501 - cache

Have you trashed ColorSync and all /Caches folders?
    Everything? The app and all?

Default Two things

Randy,

1. If it is software related, force prebinding and repair permissions fixed this issues for me, worth a try.

2. Try to reclibrate the monitor using Colorsync and select a different color temperatur, play a bit with the slider. If I am right the CRT will flipp to complete pink or cyan at some point, than the embedded profile is damaged.

Regards

Nicolas

I KNEW I wasn't nuts, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for the posts and ideas. It's too bad I'm having so much trouble with this upgrade. If not for the video artifacts, I'd be enjoying myself with this. I have the original processor back in the QS and have no video artifacts or any problems at all.

rwm, iPhoto is affected as well. It's only Apple apps that are affected: Quicktime, Safari, iPhoto, iMovie. It's bloody aggravating. Maybe I will try getting rid of the Colorsync profiles as suggested. Just so you know, I have a 17" Apple Studio Monitor (LCD) connected to the QS via ADC (DVI + USB).

The biggest problem is that my 30 days is up at the end of next week, so I don't have a lot of time to make this work. If I can't make it work, it has to go back as I use Safari, Quicktime, and especially iPhoto extensively.