Thread: 10.2.8 Won't recognise either of my Hard Drives

Default 10.2.8 Won't recognise either of my Hard Drives

I have a small problem!!!
    My system will not boot up..When i try a Disk appears with a Question mark inside it and the system just hangs...
    I have 2 drives and the system won't recognise either of the drives..
    I have reset the PRAM tried diff cables and made sure the jumpers are set correctly..
    The second bus recognises my DVD burner OK...
    I have a G3 Beige (G4 522MHz upgrade chip)..
    One drive is 60GB WD and the other the Orig Quantum 10GB..
    Any suggestions pls..

thanx

There are different settings if a Slave Drive is present.

On some drives, like the older IBM/Hitachi's there is a setting called Dev0(Master) force slave present. Maybe one of your drives has an equal jumper setting.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Lightbulb

WD often only works with one drive on the bus, and set to Cable Select. Especially in the Beige. Whether using Sonnet Tempo or SIIG controller it is the fussiest drive ever (and WD has their own unique "rules" to jumpers).
    www.wdc.com

Default Disk Utility doesn't even recognise my Hard Drive

I am using 10.2.8 and my OS will not start up anymore..
    All i get is a Floppy Disk sign with a question mark inside the disk..
    After reading some info here i booted with my Start-up Disk and got to Disk Utility..
    Well, Disk Utility doesn't even recognise my Hard Drive???
    Now what???
    It is a WD 60GB about 5 yrs old..

Thanx

Boot from your OS 9.1/9.2.1 CD. But if jaguar doesn't recognize it, take out the other (disconnect) and see. Or get a controller. But if it is 5 yrs old, I'd say its served well.

Dear Kakadu,

Quote Originally Posted by kakadu
    I am using 10.2.8 and my OS will not start up anymore..
    All i get is a Floppy Disk sign with a question mark inside the disk..
    After reading some info here i booted with my Start-up Disk and got to Disk Utility..
    Well, Disk Utility doesn't even recognise my Hard Drive???
    Now what???
    It is a WD 60GB about 5 yrs old..

Thanx
    O.k., here's a list of possible things to do or which could explain what you're experiencing:
    • The ROM version of your old Beige machine is type "A" (or "1"), in which case, your internal IDE controller won't support a Master/Slave setup on anyone single IDE channel. To investigate which ROM version you have, you'll need to access Apple System Profiler and look down through the various information until you get to the ROM # section: if it reads "$77D.40F2", then you have a Rev. "A" ROM which will NOT support a M/S hard disk configuration on anyone IDE channel (you have two of them: one for your internal CD-ROM drive and one for your internal HD). OSX should have fixed such issue, but I don't think you can boot from a M/S config into OSX.
    • Make sure that your OSX system is installed on the FIRST partition of your Master hard drive AND that such partition is NO greater than 8GB.
    • WD hard drives need to be either jumped as "Master - with Slave drive present", or "Cable Select", depending on the kind of model you have. You want to look through WD's Legacy Drives Specification Data Sheets to see which is your proper jumpers setting [in case the WD600BB would be your drive, you would want to try BOTH Dual (Master) and Cable Select settings].
    • Keep in mind that the CS (=Cable Select) setting works best when using the UltraATA interface ribbon (the one bearing 80-conductors, 40-pins).
    • Resetting PRAM after each new setup, on first re-boot, is the correct procedure. Should that not suffice, you may want to try:
      1. A CUDA switch reset.
      2. Replacing your internal PRAM battery.
    • Other useful reading I would reccomend:

Hope the above will be of some help.

Good luck.

Costa

Default So then to buy a new IDE drive which ATA speed?

i sorry for what may appear a silly question..But to replace my old 60Gb WD, and considering my G3 Beige (G4 533Mhz Upgrade chip)....
    Which type of IDE HD do i have to choose if i dont want to buy Controllers and adapters? ie ATA/66/100/133
    Also what is largest size HD without having to mess with the first 8GB rule or something.. ie 120GB or 160GB OK?

thanx
    Last edited by kakadu; 05-24-2005 at 10:11 AM. Reason: forgot a point

Any ATA drive sold today is fine. No avoiding the 8GB without a controller.

A Seagate or Hitachi drive will do nicely, or Samsung.
    ACard/SIIG/Sonnet ATA/100 controller.

Lightbulb

.....Or take this oppportunity to get a SATA drive and controller. They work great on beiges all the way up to the latest G5s. Easier to cable, and no worries about setting jumpers. Plug and play, one driver per channel.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

Anyone who has to deal with using XPostFacto, it finally reached "final" on 4.0 and gets around some of the 8GB limitations, which might be nice and more reason to install OS X up through Tiger on OldWorld machines.

But if you don't use a controller, you are limited to 120GB - unless - you opt to buy and use Intech's software patch to allow using larger drives.

However, there is a huge 'penalty' using native IDE bus: 16MB/sec vs 53MB/sec.

I think you would be 'shocked' at how well, and fast, a 10K Raptor can run in your Beige. I've run on 10K 36GB Raptor, a 10K SCSI, as well as 15K SCSI. The 15K really makes a difference, even if I can't get the same *benchmark* score it is capable of (~72MB/sec) it makes for the best boot drive. And SATA is much much easier to deal with cables - long, thin, easy to fit and reach any position. Even IDE has a max length and harder to deal with in the MT.