Thread: Using 2 Hard Drives and a 16X DVD Burner

Confused Using 2 Hard Drives and a 16X DVD Burner

Hi can anybody psl tell me what solution i cld use to resolve the issue of using 2 Hard Drives and a 16X Burner in the same G3 (G4 533Mhz Upgrade)..
    I have finally got to the point where the only way i can burn a DVD is to run the 60GB HD and 16X DVD Burner on the same cable using the HD Bus and not the Optical Bus (or slower Bus)..
    My problem then becomes how to connect my smaller 10GB (original G3 HD) as well.
    I tried to connect it to the slower Bus but to avail...
    How can this be done? If at all...

Thanx

Confused Can i install a 160GB Drive in my G3?

Is it possible pls to install a 160GB (or larger) drive in my G3 Beige (G4 533Mhz Upgrade)..
    Can it be a ATA/66/100/133 or even a SATA which i believe are still faster..
    Or is there are specific type that i must buy in order to have compatibilty?

Thanx

These are related and easier to handle in one thread....

So trying to do a lot with 3 PCI slots - you will need to have a controller. Both IDE buses are ATA/16. SATA is faster but still has 8GB limitation (bad for burning DVDs) and you are limited to less than what any drive can perform, 53MB/sec max.

All the jumpers are correct? master on the end, but DVD burner needs to be master, as does the boot drive for OS X (you need Jaguar or later for >127GB drives).

Default Clarification pls....

If both buses are equal at ATA/16 why then can i not run any HD on the second Bus?
    Also did i understand correctly that i CANNOT install a HD and a DVD Burner on the one cable as both need to be Master?
    Also is the Master always at the end of the cable and not in the middle?

Much Appreciated..

;
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    These are related and easier to handle in one thread....

So trying to do a lot with 3 PCI slots - you will need to have a controller. Both IDE buses are ATA/16. SATA is faster but still has 8GB limitation (bad for burning DVDs) and you are limited to less than what any drive can perform, 53MB/sec max.

All the jumpers are correct? master on the end, but DVD burner needs to be master, as does the boot drive for OS X (you need Jaguar or later for >127GB drives).

Default Installing 2 HD and a 16X Burner on a G3 Beige

If both buses are equal at ATA/16 why then can i not run any HD on the second Bus?
    Also did i understand correctly that i CANNOT install a HD and a DVD Burner on the one cable as both need to be Master?
    Also is the Master always at the end of the cable and not in the middle?

Much Appreciated..

Sounds like jumper settings. Any host controller would be nice. An eBay special.

Yes you should put the master on the end. I don't believe the Beige supports master/slave. Read that post. TZ, has about done everything you can do to a computer to his beige. Tried the 1GHz in it I believe or wanted to. - Randy

Only the Rev A didn't support slave drives. And had cables with only one connector. CD and hdd on their own IDE bus.