Thread: Tiger 10.4.1/Photoshop CS2 boot issue

Default Tiger 10.4.1/Photoshop CS2 boot issue

Hi -

Just got a new 2.3 with 4Gb RAM and 10.4 last weekend. Installed all apps from fresh downloads or CDs, imported documents and Mail and no problems. Actually booted off my Seritek4/Burly for awhile - way to go guys!

BUT NOW...

PShop CS2 (newly installed from CD) will not start. Seems to hang while reading "Fonts". There were at least twos discussions on an Adobe board:
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w....1@.3bba7479/0
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w....1@.3bba56cc/0

Also followed many of the suggestions on the Adobe PShop support page:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/products/photoshop.html

Net net, I have rebuilt permissions, deleted plists (actually a whole folder now), the Adobe font files, a suspect fonts and some of my third party plug ins and the same thing keeps happening. Upgraded to 10.4.1 which made no difference.

CS1 launches fine.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated

best,
    ck

ck,

Welcome to the MacGurus Forums.

I have been experimenting with Pshop CS2 in 10.4.1 all afternoon on my new 2.7. Not had any such troubles. But I added only one font, a freebie Adobe font for registering. And no added plugins. I read all of those links you provided. You didn't move plugs from CS into CS2, did you?

Wish I knew more. There are two font folders and I suppose with Pshop that makes three. Maybe someone else knows where they all are. Can only suggest that you reinstall and keep it barebones until you discover if it is stable.

Hope something here will give you some ideas. More thoughts from others here gratefully accepted. k

Hi Kaye - mighty ruler =)

Hmmm - yes I did engage in a moving a small army of plug ins from my old drive (7 and CS)

Didn't know this was a no-no

And of course it worked the time or two I launched just to check everything ;(

The Adobe Fonts folder is empty. I also have the Systems Font Folder anmd the Font Agent Pro "My Fonts" folders

thnx for your help

best,
    ck

ck,

I would drag all of those plugs you added from 701 and CS to a folder on your desktop. If CS2 launches OK, start moving a few at a time back into the plugs location they were dragged from until you have a launch problem. Take notes what you removed and from where and what you added back. It could be that CS2 doesn't like one or more of those added plugs, or that Tiger does not like one or more.

About fonts, did a search (font) and I have font folders:
    drive > System > Library > Fonts
    drive > Library > Fonts
    drive > Applications > Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive (oops, gotta get rid of all that Microsloth stuff)

Also have two folders of Developer fonts. k

Sad to say I've got Fonts located all over the place - for something like this, Spotlight is really amazing.

Guess I'll start with the easy stuff and pull the plug-ins first.

Thanks for your help - I will keep you posted

best,
    ck

All hail Kaye -

So at least for now, it was one of the fonts. I say this because other posters have been having all kinds of problems - fix one, find another. Me, I am grateful for small miracles.

Sorry I can't tell you which one but there is now about 150Mb in a folder on my desktop. And I also put them in the Trash and emptied same.

best,
    ck

Thumbs up

I would sopport the suggestions made by Kaye...
    Contrary to Adobe's warning/prompting about upgrading to OS 10.3... I seem to have no issues running CS2 in OS 10.2.8. Went to 'PhotoshopNews.com' for further clarification; issues don't seem to influence my way of operating the Shp...
    U might wanna check said website for more specific info.
    Catcha wave!

Certainly glad you got that one figured out ck. But it reminds me that I have to add at least one font to Pshop CS2, that slanted MacGurus logo link at the top left of this page which I used in 701. k