Thread: OS 10.4 and Firmtek Seritek/1S2 - Incompatible?

Default OS 10.4 and Firmtek Seritek/1S2 - Incompatible?

After upgrading to Tiger, I've noticed that my SoftRAID 4 drive array is performing very slowly, especially on larger transfers. SoftRAID tech support has suggested that it is very unlikely that the SoftRAID driver is the problem. Has anyone noticed performance issues with the Firmtek Seritek/1S2 SATA cards on Tiger?

Thanks.

Computer: dual 2.5 G5, 4GB RAM, 2 internal & 4 external HDD (4 drive striped array), OS 10.4, 2 Firmtek Seritek/1S2 SATA cards.

What slots do you have those two Seritek/1S2 cards in? One should be in the 133MHz slot and one in a 100MHz slot. Both in the 100MHz slots will not work well (slow). k

Lightbulb

I think another alternative, would be the 1VE4.

seems odd that it would be slower with Tiger.

would be nice to see what QuickBench and ZoneBench report. ZoneBench especially.

Have you recreated the volume(s) on the RAID?
    Transferring from / to where?
    I have read of FW problems, but not SATA related.

Thanks for your prompt responses.

The cards are in slots 3 and 4. I'm familiar with the shared bus and performance problems of slots 2 & 3. My SoftRAID array was created under 10.3.4 and originally tested in the 150+MB/sec reads and writes (using QuickBench).

I'll post the QuickBench results. Which test is most useful for you to see?

ZoneBench is new to me. I'll find it and see what it reports.

I have not recreated the volumes yet. I'm in the process of making a few updated backups which will allow me to re-make the volumes (most likely later today).

My large transfers have been from my array to an internal disk. Periodically, the disk activity (as report by Activity Monitor) will slow down significantly or stop all together and then resume.

My first tip to my performance problems came when I downloaded and played the Quicktime 7 "Batman Begins" trailer from the HD Gallery. I had dropped frames, pauses and video out of sink w/ audio. I copied the same file to my internal drive and it plays without any problem.

Lightbulb

Just to be sure, but if it was me, I'd check the tips for Tiger and Spotlight to disable. Right now, it interferes with every and any I/O.

ZoneBench was added to www.speedtools.com recently. Just allows testing different zones of the drive and providing more information as well as set your own benchmark options.

Here are some results from ZoneBench at 10MB (first file) and 50 MB (second file). The last file is using extended QuickBench 2.1.1 test. These tests use the original volumes (not recreated, yet). Thanks.
    Last edited by smaratea; 05-14-2005 at 02:48 PM.

After deleting my volumes, I tested each drive individually. I am now convinced that I have a bad hard drive. I have recreated my array with only 3 of the hard drives, and the performance has returned to an expected level.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my issue. In the future, I will do all of my homework before coming to the forums.

Lightbulb

I come to the forum with a problem to try to put in writing and help narrow down and think out loud what may be happening and how to resolve a problem. so feel free to bounce ideas off us.

Agreed, and I will. Your web-site has been the inspiration and provided the information (and some of the parts) that allowed me to build my current RAID system. The timing of my upgrade and problem threw off my diagnosis. Until next time ...