Thread: Help me Please!!

Confused Help me Please!!

This morning at 7am I turned on my Mac so I could set it to receive a fax. I clicked the check box for receiving faxes, then to print on my printer. When I clicked on the printer checkbox, I got the dreaded colorful rotating beachball of frustration. To prove to myself that I am really an idiot, I tried it on my wife's computer, and I was right! It also now has a spinning cursor. Nothing responds to the cursor. I can move the cursor, but when I click nothing happens.

It is now nearly 4pm, and the ball has been spinning all day. I tried everything that I know, including: turning off the computer using the power button and rebooting, force quitting, rebooting to Tech tool pro and testing (it was fine), repairing permissions, and repairing the disk. I have been unable to use my computer for 9 hours now and the cursor is still spinning (even after all the restarts). As an experiment, I have left my wife's computer spinning untouched all day.

My Specs:
    eMac 1.2GHz
    Mac OS X (10.3.9)
    768 MB RAM
    80 GB HD
    SuperDrive
    Airport

My question is this: What do I do now? I would like to use my computer again (and my wife would like to use hers, her specs are identical). How do I stop the beach ball? How do I make the machine accept FAXES without the spinning ball of horrificness using up hours of my life?

In OS 9, you could start the computer up without extensions and fix most problems like this. Is there a similar thing with OS X? Please GURUS, HELP ME!!
    Jim

I have been unable to use my computer for 9 hours now and the cursor is still spinning (even after all the restarts).

Once it kicks in, it doesn't usually stop. I can't understand how, unless you keep trying again, that you would go back to same situation (SBOD). Anything else shows in Activity Monitor?

Do a Safe Boot. Use AppleJack. Try Preferential Treatment. Run Disk Warrior. Uninstall and reinstall the printer driver and clear out fax folder(s). Check your (usb) cable(s). Check the Printer Repair shareware program. I assume you use built-in fax feature rather than 3rd party program.

Try creating a new account. Or move Preferences or entire ~/Library out of the way. Delete plist (preference) files.

Even rerun the combo 10.3.9 updater.

There are a number of troubleshooting links in the Help & FAQ Forum. how to troubleshoot, maintenance, etc. Tiger Cache Cleaner can also help (works in earlier versions).

You may need to use your FW backup to get things running again, including a backup and reinstall.

Lightbulb Printer Setup Utility

If you're having problems making your printer work (Epson Stylus C86), try running the Printer Setup Utility and choose Reset Printing System . . . under the Printer Setup Utility menu item. Your printers will be removed and you will have to add them back (but not reinstall drivers). It worked like a charm for me. All printing problems went away instantly!

Default Thanks for your responses!

TZ,

It's a bit tricky, because when I try to start up, I only have a few seconds to try to click on something before the ball starts rolling, and then nothing responds. I haven't had time to get to activity monitor because it is in my utilities folder and it freezes before I can get that deep. Also, yes, I did use the built in Fax features.

What's my next step? I would love to try the things you are saying, however, I don't have Disk Warrior (I guess I need it, huh?). This is the first problem that I have had on this computer. I have been using it regularly since Early July (2004).

How would I do a safe boot? What can I do with a safe boot? It sounds important to know. I have never used Apple Jack, and don't know what preferential treatment is. This is great, if I ever get this fixed, I will have learned so much!

Is there a way to by-pass the rolling ball? OS 9 could disable extensions, is there something like that in OSX? This is a lot of information. It's rare for me to be so at a loss in such a problem. I appreciate your time and energy! No one at the Apple Forums responded to my post, it's been there since around 10am.

Yes, I would say Safe Boot would be a good starting point.

As fsck runs only once with each Safe Boot, you might Safe Boot a couple times, or better yet run fsck from single user mode as much as you like.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

How would I do a safe boot? What can I do with a safe boot?
    Right here and some info here.

It sounds like you have some startup items for your account. And the 2nd phase of Safe Boot with shift key down at the login point forward prevents that.

Do you have Classic loading also? how many items in accounts -> startup items?

If you had an emergency FW drive w/ OS X or had created an emergency CD using BootCD, you could navigate to your home folder and to /Library/StartupItems at the top of the boot volume, and remove, rename or delete those.

Default response

unclemac, rwm,

I will try those things and get back to you, I printed them off! Thanks, I didn't know about that.

----------------
    TZ,

I will look for any startup items. To my knowledge, I have none (except maybe an auto login if that's one).

Classic is not set to load automatically on startup. I always have to start it up manually.

Thanks all for your responses, I'll get back with you as soon as I can test this stuff out. Mac Gurus is absolutely the best site on the web that I know of, for troubleshooting tips. It's really helpful because you stick with someone until the end. THANK YOU!!

Jim

Default Mac GURUS...

IT WORKED!! I did a safe boot (thanks unclemac and rwm), then went into my "System Preferences" and turned off "Receive Faxes on this computer". I then went into "Hard Drive->Library->Startup items" and deleted "Virex" which was the only thing in the folder (you nailed it TZ!). When I started back up again, it was running like a well-tuned machine...like I am used to it running!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I love Mac Gurus!! In fact, I'll put a link on that apple site to your site.

Yours truly,

Jim

Cool We like success

Glad things worked.. Now
    If you had an emergency FW drive w/ OS X or had created an emergency CD using BootCD, you could navigate to your home folder and to /Library/StartupItems at the top of the boot volume, and remove, rename or delete those.
    Make an emergency CD using BootCD.

Randy

Lightbulb

Things I have on my BootCD:

Firefox (yes, it works, after booting I copy
    ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox to the root home folder on the CD which uses available RAM (good reason to have 1GB RAM or more). Very fast so I can even go on the net from CD!)

Tiger Cache Cleaner
    unpkg
    Firefox
    OmniDiskSweeper
    TechTool Pro 4
    ExpressStripe
    Activity Monitor
    System Profiler
    System Preferences
    Preferential Treatment
    ATTO Configuration
    SoftRAID 3.1.3 Dealer Demo
    Carbon Copy Cloner
    Rember
    StuffIt Expander
    DiskWarrior
    Tri-BACKUP (OS X)
    Xbench
    Utilities
    DiskBasher 1.1.2
    TextEdit
    Pacifist
    StuffIt STD 902 Installer
    Installer

Quite powerful. And most of the things needed for Tiger.

About Virex, nasty piece of work. There may be other pieces to it in /Library/Application Support or elsewhere. it would kill Tiger dead. Try clamAV instead. check Tiger Guide or FAQ Guide -> AntiVirus.

Thanks too, for the kind words.

Default Wow, how do I get all that stuff?

Is some of it free? How does one discover such a list as that? You must have encountered many problems for discoveries so broad as that! I'll start looking for that stuff, it may take awhile.

Jim

A lot of the applications are free or donation/shareware and much of it in the OS X's - Utilities folder.