Thread: Playing DVD's without DVD Player

Default Playing DVD's without DVD Player

Hi can anyone pls point me in the right direction as to which 3rd party players i could use to watch DVD's on my G3 Beige which i recently upgraded to a G4 533mhz processor..I have also just installed 10.2.8 (which did not install DVD player) and a new NEC DVD burner under Patch Burn.
    I tried to use Quicktime, WMP 9.0 and InterActual Player (which just crashes the whole time) none of which will play my DVD's..
    Any suggestions?

thanx

kakadu

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

When you installed 10.2.x was that before or after you installed the DVD drive? Usually the OS installer checks and requires the presense of a DVD drive before it installs DVD Player. If you don't like VLC player, then you could try using Pacifist to install/extract manually DVD Player from the 10.2.x CDs.

Usually the OS installer checks and requires the presense of a DVD drive before it installs DVD Player.
    Mine did the check and I just have CDRW no DVD and it did not install the DVD software. Seems like it gave me some sort of message about it - that was a while back. - Randy

Default Installing DVD Player after 10.2 has been installed

Is it possible to install DVD Player after 10.2 has already been installed?
    I have a DVD Burner under Patch Burn that was installed after 10.2.8...
    Will it install the DVD Player for a 3rd party DVD Burner ie not Apple's SuperDrive?

Thanx

Kakadu

Yes. Eric told you how: use the application Pacifist to manually install anything you want from your OS X CD.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin