Thread: Hey Uncle!

Default Hey Uncle!

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but here goes......

After several unsuccessful attempts, and a crash-course in open firmware I now have Panther running on the Beige. It's suprisingly responsive considering it's all stock. I did OC it to 83mhz bus with the processor at 290. It seems happy with this.

I have run into a snag however. I can't get it to connect to the 'net. In the network preferences under ethernet it says "the built-in ethernet has a self-assigned IP address, and may not be able to connect to the internet".

My half-assed network consists of a Westell WireSpeed DSL modem, and an Asante FriendlyNet 5 port hub. I tried eliminating the hub, and hooking the Beige straight to the modem. No change. All devices have been powered off, and reconfigured accordingly of course.

I figure there's probably something forehead-smackingly simple that I've overlooked here. What do you think?

Default Hello M.Brane sorry for chimming in

If your Westell is only a Modem (DSL or cable?), not a router you need to setup PPPoE instead of Ethernet TCP/IP.

http://www.dls.net/support/kb/index.phtml?id=336

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

A router would make things easier. Not all DSL or cable modems, even when they are suppose to get an IP address from the ISP, will. But I never needed PPPoE. I did, however, have to manually enter the DNS IP addresses into Network with 10.3.6 - 10.3.9.

If you are using a hub and modem... I started there, ended up with router/switch and then later, bought DSL modem/router/switch.

Open Firmware command init-nvram does help sometimes. Along with a good Kick! (cuda, zap, and slap on the back) to get it to behave. Also, just booting from Jaguar CD once, seems to help by updating nvram or something to better be able to install and run OS X, including Panther.

... and, Ryan is at work on XPF 4.0 for Tiger support.

Hi ya Brane,

Glad to hear the ol' beige is humming along.

You are already in good hands here, not much to add. I have always worked with a router when on broadband, so don't have any modem tricks....although my router is running PPPoE.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Your moving to X

Hey, M. No one told me hell froze over. Hope you like the ride.

I figure there's probably something forehead-smackingly simple that I've overlooked here.
    And you figure we can help. LOL Nic,TZ or Unc are probably best help.

I used a Westell DSL modem with a Linksys 4 port router/switch. Then moved to cable and still use the Linksys router. I did have to open a browser and change settings in the router.... a different issue than you have.

tried eliminating the hub, and hooking the Beige straight to the modem.
    Should have done it.

Post back
    Randy

Thanks for all the responses guys!

The thing that puzzles me is why this 8600 with 9.1 connects fine with DHCP. Never had to use PPPoE before. Is this because of Panther? I'll try maually entering the DNS as suggested. The machines see each other fine so I know the cabling, and hub work.

LOL Randy!

Yeah, I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve now thanks to the Gurus. Just wanna make sure everything is gonna work before I start throwing money at this old Beige. So far so good other than the initial install of 10.3, and this ethernet puzzler. Got lotsa learnin' to do. Already learned a lot about OF thanks to TZ's links on the site.

I'm gonna be out of town for a couple days so I won't have time to play with it again until late Sunday. Probably better to not mess with it today anyway even if I'm not superstitious.

Well I tried manually entering the DNS. No dice.

I tried PPPoE. No dice.

I also tried connecting booted from 9. No dice.

I can fileshare between this 8600, and the Gossamer, but I can't get the Gossamer onto the 'net. In Panther or 9. The 8600 connects with DHCP no problem.

I'm loath to call Verizon tech support since the two times I've called 'em before I knew more than their tech support.

Any ideas?

Stuck in Nineville,?
    Hmmm not anymore huh?

Got room for a NIC card to bypass the internal ethernet?
    just a thought.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Macaholic
    Stuck in Nineville,?
    Hmmm not anymore huh?

Got room for a NIC card to bypass the internal ethernet?
    just a thought.

Dave
    Actually until I get this figured out I'm still in 9 for the most part. I'm looking forward to changing my sig though.

I've got a couple of PCI ethernet cards, but the internal is working. I'm beginning to think it's a modem/ DNS issue. Maybe the server just really likes the 8600. They've known each other a long time.

I finally tricked the DNS into letting me on!

Site sure looks different with Safari.

I restarted the 8600 off my backup drive with extensions off. I then entered all the info from it's TCP/IP into the Beige manually. It said I was connected, but I still got the "can't find server" message. So I switched it back to DHCP. I know I tried this before more than once, but for some reason this time it worked!

We'll see how long it lasts........

Guess I gotta change my sig now.