Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: G5 2.7GHz

I ran Broadband Optimizer yesterday but have not tuned it beyond default. Terminal does indicate that the default took:
    net.inet.tcp.sendspace: 65536
    net.inet.tcp.recvspace: 65536
    net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack: 0
    net.inet.udp.recvspace: 73728

here is what I get this morning without reboot, just going back to the dslreports bookmarked home page, not much traffic:
    Seattle:
    2005-12-01 09:07:22 EST: 1204 / 297
    Your download speed : 1204 kbps or 150.5 KB/sec.
    Your upload speed : 297 kbps or 37.2 KB/sec.

SF:
    2005-12-01 09:09:46 EST: 1251 / 248
    Your download speed : 1251 kbps or 156.4 KB/sec.
    Your upload speed : 248 kbps or 31 KB/sec.

LA:
    2005-12-01 09:11:34 EST: 1257 / 389
    Your download speed : 1257 kbps or 157.2 KB/sec.
    Your upload speed : 389 kbps or 48.7 KB/sec.

I will have to get into tuning it now. k

Have tuned Broadband Optimizer and while I seem to have hit my max for download, upload is certainly better

k

Since I have been running a 12x FrankenRAID, I have added the SATA Burly to my UPS diagram

k

We have a helluva storm going on here with very high winds and driving rain. So when the power failed I figured it would be out for awhile and prepared to shutdown. Got a warning window that UPS was on battery power, warning beeps, APC UPS indicated 15 minutes left, UPS yellow On Battery light on. At 90% battery power left, quit Safari and did a shutdown. After shutdown turned off the UPS because it was still powering the DSL modem and router. UPS worked great. Power returned after about 30 minutes. k

Hold on tight Kaye. Heard a report that it could rain up to 6" up in your area, although the worst is not gonna hit til about Monday.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

Kaye,

I don't know what happened to my RS XS-1500, but it died. Went to red light (overload) even with nothing attached. While waiting to RMA etc I ordered a new unit from Amazon, was suppose to be two day shipping and one to two days for delivery (and the week before Christmas). Well, I ordered it on a Tuesday and Amazon said it wouldn't arrive before 24th (which figured). Got a shipping notice and UPS tracking, it was here the day after I ordered! So eventually hope to have two RS1500s.

I do have a couple small 350W UPS handy, which were enough for basic needs (and not put stereo etc on battery).

I like having the extra battery pack 'just in case' I need to continue working (if I was backing up or installing and wouldn't be done in 15 minutes) but it sounds like you have more than enough runtime, and more than enough connected to one unit. I think either the main I was connected to was at fault, or I had too much connected running off battery that two years did it in. Still have to hear from APC.

I can't believe how much rain, mud and flooding the west coast is getting hit with. January was a very wet month when I was in LA years ago. At least you aren't in a low lying area.

I think the two or so outages you've had have helped pay for that UPS already.

unc, I'm holding on. It has been raining solid since the power failure yesterday. I just called a nearby neighbor who has a wind speed indicator and he said the highest gust last night was about 80mph. I woke up several times to hear the roof and house really straining.

Da Boss sent me out in the rain/wind late yesterday to restake a young tree, one of her babies. What an experience that was. But the tree is irreplaceable and I'm readily replaceable. I was a soaked hero for a few minutes.

TZ, I be curious what APC finds out. Strange when the Replace Battery LED does not come on but the Overload LED does. Must be something else wrong. My area power failure yesterday I did not have any Burlys on.

Whoops, just had three short power failures. Gonna quit for now. k

Installed X-Plane 8.2.1 on this G5.

1 X-Plane 8.21 DVD with US scenery
    6 World scenery DVDs
    2 Mars Global scenery DVDs
    Total 9 DVDs. Both the Mac and PC versions are on the DVDs.

That took a long while. Most of the files are zipped and automatically decompressed by the installers except for the Mars DVDs where you navigate in Stuffit to where you want the folders and files decompressed.

The X-Plane folder contains most of everything but there are some things elsewhere.
    The folder itself is about 58GB. Before the install, my entire 10.4.4 system and apps and files were about 36GB. Now 94GB in toto. Need a large HD for this install unless you want/need to put it elsewhere. Even with all that you must have the X-Plane DVD on the desktop for going anywhere, to prevent piracy.

The installers tell you the files it is reading and installing, the percent done, GBs done of total to do, minutes and seconds left to install and KB/sec of the operation. Max I saw was 9382KB/s.

Except for the Mars DVDs, these installers know where to install automatically, much better than version 7. The instructions for installing v7 used to be long for installing in the correct folders and locations. v8 works very well. More later, currently adding bells and whistles scenery to really tax the G5 and video card. k

Lightbulb

Kaye,

That is one huge program! Something that might want to put on another drive or partition (maybe it will accept a symbolic link if it needs to be found on boot drive?).

Talked to APC. Thought maybe it was doing a lot of automatic voltage boost and trim for it to go out like it did. Checked the APC Currents, went to web site, told me how to unplug the unit (and devices) and to try a 2 second power on (it should be able to boot and run w/o mains). All I got was solid tone. New unit will be here in two business days, with box and shipping label to send back the old unit. So now I'll have two.

TZ,

Yes a huge program with world scenery and Mars. I'm going to install it on my SATA RAID just to see if it will work there. Be a few days. I have ordered another SeriTek/1VE4 from MacGurus store, thanks Rick. Have a 150GB Raptor and it clearly sez on the topside label that installing a jumper on pins 1,2 enables SSC whereas all of my Raptor74s say nothing but all shipped with a jumper on 1,2 (disabling SSC). Of course later Raptor74s may now be just the opposite, like the Raptor150.

One of the aircraft is a Mars lander which I flew to Mars in v7. If I recall correctly approach speed was 210kts, maybe more, to get enough lift. Anyway things happen very fast close in.

I considered very carefully the store Sonnet TEMPO-X eSATA X8 but the expense for the card and all new cables (I have a ton of the old type A external cables) was more than I could afford. Plus I want to remove one of the UL4Ds and save it as a backup in case the other fails.

Am still experimenting with flying a 747-400 in X-Plane. My old 21" CRT monitor at 1600x1200 with v7 I could see all of the gauges, throttles, everything. With this Cinema HD at 1920x1200 and an X-Plane window of 1600x1200 I can only see a small amount of window to look outside. Still experimenting with that as well as cranking up the bells and whistles each time I run the app. Flying it with a trackball until I get it all figured out. Plus I want to download the latest beta before setting up my USB yoke with gear, flaps, and speedbrakes, and rudder pedals.

Your APC UPS, a very nice ending to a strange failure. I don't suppose they will tell you what failed even tho I'm sure they will investigate. If they do tell you, I'm curious. k

Am still experimenting with flying a 747-400 in X-Plane. My old 21" CRT monitor at 1600x1200 with v7 I could see all of the gauges, throttles, everything. With this Cinema HD at 1920x1200 and an X-Plane window of 1600x1200 I can only see a small amount of window to look outside.
    Sounds like you dialed in to fly a Mercury capsule....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

About the UPS, I tried asking to see what might have happened, what I might have done (wrong). I only use the K-A-W rarely just to see, but gave me the somewhat standard "don't support" their use. I also asked two years ago if it was okay or needed to put a true line conditioner in front. I may do that next though. Why? Because even though the washer and dryer are on separate circuits, it still causes flickers and seems to be too much for the house.

I can't believe that X-Plane wouldn't work as well or better, but maybe they'll address that in an update?

I have been worried about dirty power and needing more protection, multiple protections for the USB ports. I have that for FW400, you know the Gurus/Granite cables and the powered devices on the UPS rig. The USB1.1 stuff all on a powered hub on the UPS as well as all powered devices on the UPS rig but the USB2 scanner, tho also on the UPS, it is directly on the USB2 port. So I purchased a Belkin powered 7-port USB2 hub. Have not hooked it up yet. So much to do.

Yesterday, my UPS had two short glitches, one had a momentary window, the other nothing. House power did not blink so I guessing that AC voltage or cycles or some other parameter the UPS looks at must have been momentarily out of the acceptable range or else very dirty power. No idea what. But our utility company is way bad.

X-Plane 8, if you just want to fly around the US, just one DVD installer and way less for the HD. Or around the US and around Europe, two installers, but between Europe and the US, I think would take more. BTW, say you want to fly from SFO to London or Paris, you can fly real time or let's say fly real time to cruise altitude or farther into Canada, then somewhere slew position to descent point for selected destination. Or slew to Northern Canada and see the hopefully spectacular view, slew to near Greenland for more view, and so forth. k

About the UPS, I tried asking to see what might have happened, what I might have done (wrong).
    My first APC Back-UPS RS1500 died couple of months ago- same symptoms as yours, TZ- went to red overload light and nothing would power up attached to it. Called APC tech support immediately and left a message on the "Emergency" extension. Guy got back to me within an hour, and we briefly troubleshot it; he pronounced it DOA and a replacement unit was on my doorstep in less than two days. Pretty good service.

Have a 150GB Raptor and it clearly sez on the topside label that installing a jumper on pins 1,2 enables SSC whereas all of my Raptor74s say nothing but all shipped with a jumper on 1,2 (disabling SSC). Of course later Raptor74s may now be just the opposite, like the Raptor150.
    Installed two of these yesterday and did some testing.

Kaye, should I be thinking about enabling SSC on these drives? Did you play around with different settings on your WD740s?

Boots,

Roughly how long have you had your UPS? I know TZ was the first of us. I love the thing.

My Raptor150 is going to be external attached to a SeriTek/1VE4. SeriTek cards do not like SSC. Nor does the mobo SATA on my DP. Your mobo SATA Quad might be different. I don't know. k

Lightbulb

I am interested if lack of support for SSC has changed (I read so many messages on Apple forums about it not working, even G5 DC owners). My guess is that WD150's 16MB cache pays off, and might have better firmware. $289 a pop at ZZF

Kudos to WD for having the sense to offer a simple jumper solution!
    I bought the XS1500 in June 2004, didn't realize the difference in how it handles Trim/Boost was different from RS series (and lacked an ethernet filter), which is why I opted to buy an RS1500 when it failed, but which was $75 more at the time, and have the replacement as a spare or for other equipment.

Roughly how long have you had your UPS? I know TZ was the first of us. I love the thing.
    The first one I had for about 21 months before it died.

My Raptor150 is going to be external attached to a SeriTek/1VE4. SeriTek cards do not like SSC. Nor does the mobo SATA on my DP. Your mobo SATA Quad might be different.
    Thanks.

Your comment TZ about G5 DC owners complaining about SSC not working is I would think a good indicator for Boots. And yes it looks like the WD150s with 16MB cache and better firmware really haul. I guess I will find out when I get the SeriTek next Tuesday. Don't want to mess with my SATA Burly. Have another external case. And definitely I agree kudos to WD for having jumper pins for SSC.

I forgot you had the XS1500, was thinking it was the RS1500. If mine is going to fail I hope it is at 21 months like Boots because of the 2 year warranty. k

Well- after reading WD's info about SSC, I see that it is probably irrelevant to my setup, and in any case, they say it does not affect performance either way.

As for NCQ, StorageReview has somehow managed to disable it on their WD1500 test unit, and have shown desktop performance to be faster with it disabled. I had a conversation with a WD tech person the other day, and they claimed there is no way to disable the feature...
    As I understand it, the computer must support the feature- otherwise it does not utilize NCQ. So I think windows users are able to enable/disable on certain machines in their Device Manager.
    But every time I research whether G5 allows NCQ, I find conflicting info- some say no, others say yes..
    It would be nice to know the bottom line.

The WD740 performance (with TCQ- another non-switchable feature) on my G5 seemed hampered in the read performance, I guess because both these features TCQ and NCQ really don't come into play with desktop use- but yet are always enabled and have a negative effect on desktop performance. I wouldn't know if this is the case with my WD1500s- they're certainly fast out of the box.

As far as I know, there is no Mac utility for disabling these features.

Lightbulb

Raptors are optimized to 'favor' write performance. All of our own QB results seemed to show much higher write speed. I also just created a stripe RAID of two Atlas 10K drives, which usually have higher reads than writes, but this time, using Apple RAID 128k blocks, write I/O is significantly faster than reads (using Zone and QuickBench).

Some drives have a DSP chip as part of the drive (such as Maxtor that has two DSP chips) to handle NCQ, so even if the controller or board doesn't, it probably still is available. Not sure how SR enables/disables, but I thought one of the jumpers what do that on the Raptor.

I am pretty sure G5 even now doesn't support SSC drives, and lacks native support for SATA 2.5 features including NCQ.

My feeling was that TCQ might help in the way OS X boot volume handles files. WD Raptor 150 moved to NCQ to be more standard with SATA 2.5. Hitachi started implementing TCQ in their PATA drives beginning with Vancouver 180GXP and later, which I think, along with their lower see and latency, has helped make those a quick/responsive drive (I use two, one for boot drive and 2nd for /Users currently).

Yes, price and ignorance led me to buy the XS model and regretted it, so I wanted to help "educate" others to avoid the same mistake. Prices on RS1500 seem to have gone up at many retailers after the 1st of the year, too. Mine came from J&R via Amazon. I asked "are there any problems or unusual failure or return rates" with the XS/RS models, but they didn't acknowledge any although I had read/heard of others. The ZeroSurge conditioner is what some people use in addition to RS (MicroMat's MM3 for one) as the ZeroSurge is one of the better made line conditioners out there.