Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: G5 2.7GHz

I was thinking that my Final Cut Studio 5.1 didn't work in Leopard because the ProKit Update 4.5 would only install on my 10.4.11 drive. Checked further today and discovered that my archive and install on the Cuda1TB had wiped the serial number so the clone of it to another drive via SuperDuper 2.5 was also without serial number.

Soon as I fixed that I could update ProKit Update 4.5 with Leopard Software Update on both Leopard drives. k

Default 10.5.2 and Graphics Update

10.5.2 via Leopard Software Update:
    I did this first on the Cuda1T-32MB cache. For me 180MB and of course needs a reboot or shutdown. I chose reboot. Before it does reboot, it goes thru installing. Something called patching files takes forever to the point you might think it has stalled. And the thermometer bar never moved, always throughout the entire install it was empty. Another be patient, eventually it finishes and reboots.

I then waited for Spotlight to finish, about 2 minutes. Repairing permissions still still takes a long time, 24 minutes, with all that ACL stuff. No other details, all ACL. Verify Disk 2 minutes, all OK. Checked Software Update again, Leopard Graphics Update, 48.6MB. It requires 10.5.2 installed, so it does not appear until 10.5.2 is done. This time I got a thermometer bar that moved and very fast before reboot which was OK. It did reboot twice. That was scary. No Spotlight indexing this time.

Rebooted to the internal drive with 10.5.1. Performed the same as above except did not repair permissions nor Verify Disk. Otherwise the same results. Put in the DiskWarrior 4.0 CD and option-booted to it. Repaired the directories ONLY of the Leopard drives and my main 10.4.11 drive. Done. Just will have to check apps and utilities. k

After installing 3 updates via Photoshop CS3 Adobe Updater on 3 drives, I then wanted to at least look at the fragmentation situation of my Leopard 10.5.2 backup boot drive. iDefrag 1.6.5 is now Leopard 10.5.2 compatible but the information on their website leaves me wondering whether the boot drive must be Leopard or can be 10.4.11. I wish they would boldface exactly what I have to boot from. To be on the safe side, I booted my primary Leopard boot drive, launched iDefrag 1.6.5, and discovered several things.

1. On my backup boot drive, what iDefrag calls the Catalog was in 74 fragments. The total number of fragments of all files exceeded 800 fragments.

2. Normally the applications are very near the outer edge to speed up application startup and access. They were all at the end of everything approaching the middle. I suspect this was because I originally did a Leopard Archive and Install of Tiger and not one iota moved even tho I have left these drives running all night several times. BTW, my primary Leopard boot drive is in essentially the same state.

3. Because of all this, iDefrag is going to have to move everything. Normally and to be safe, iDefrag moves then verifies before wiping the old position. In prefs, this verify can be overridden and that would halve the total time to defrag but is not the safe thing to do. So it took a long time to move around 182GB, almost 7 hours. Anyway, now the applications are nearly on the fastest part of the drive and I will be testing to see that everything still works. k

About iDefrag v1.6.5 and Leopard 10.5.2, you must be booted to 10.5.2 to defrag another 10.5.2 volume/drive, and everything works just fine. k

Default FW800 hubs

I have been using 2 3-port FW800 hubs chained together from Granite Digital. The problem with the these hubs is that 1 port on the first hub on the chain is taken up by the Granite FireView FW800 cable from G5 FW800 port to the hub. Another port is taken up by a FW800 cable chaining to a port on the other FW800 hub. So I have 1 port available on the first hub and 2 ports available on the 2nd hub. At the time I purchased these hubs, Kenny at Granite told me to purchase just one of their optional power supplies to power both hubs. That was just fine because I had a FW800 CF card reader, and 2 FW800 drives. It all worked great in the latest current versions of Tiger and Leopard.

Along came a FW800 Gurus Burly with Plextor reader/burner and so I had to temporarily ditch one of the hard drives. Looking for a better solution I went to the Granite Digital website and lo and behold they have a 6-port model.
    http://www.granitedigital.com/index....ROD&ProdID=146 and it comes with a PS included, also the PS is much smaller and lighter than the PS for the 3-port hubs. It arrived, I removed the 3-port hubs and PS and connected up the following to the new 6-port hub with PS connected:
    1. FW800 FireView cable from G5 FW800 port
    2. FW800 CF card reader
    3. 1 of the 2 FW800 drives
    4. FW800 Burly/Plextor

Bad news, only thing that worked is the CF card reader. Called Kenny and he gave me a list of things to do. None worked. At the end of a full day of testing his list, called him back and reported still no good. He shipped me an eval unit with PS. He had personally tested this unit before shipping. 2 days later I was trying it. No soap including his list of things to try. In desperation, I hooked up 1 of the old 3-port hubs and PS and plugged in the Burly/Plextor and 1 of the drives. Worked and gave me a chance to backup my Tiger drive with SuperDuper as well as watch some of a "Michael Clayton" DVD.

Called Kenny and he said to chain 1 of the 6-ports with PS after the 3-port with PS. I said BUT Kenny:
    1. The old 3-port PS output is 9V DC 1A
    2. The new 6-port PS output is 12V DC 1A

He said does not matter. Further he said that tho none of his customers have reported any problems with the 6-port, he has seen reports on the web that some G5's, no particular models, just a case by case situation, seem most prone to this problem and that is why I'm posting here instead of the FireWire threads. Kenny at Granite Digital helped me for several days trying to solve this problem.

This works great and I now have 1 port available on the 3-port, and 5 ports available on the 6-port for a total of 6 ports available. Currently at most I need 4. It works in 10.5.2 as well. When I booted that, a window popped up asking if I wanted to use one of the FW800 drives (about 568GB) for Time Machine. Nope. I can highly recommend the 6-port model, just be aware of the unfortunate possibility if you have a G5 that it may be afflicted with this situation. k

Default FW800 hubs revisited

The plot sickens. My G5 FW800 is back to being flakey, unreliable as of 2 days ago. Drives would not mount and could not be seen in Disk Utility nor ASP. FW800 CF card and FW800 Burly/Plextor would not work. Tried everything I could think of as well as what Kenny at Granite had told me. No luck. So yesterday morning I went back to my previous config of the old 3-port hubs chained together with 1 power supply to only the second hub in the chain. CF card reader connected to the only port left on the 1st hub so that if I only needed the reader I could access it with G5 bus power without turning on the power supply on the 2nd hub.

The remaining 2 ports available on the 2nd hub power 1 FW800 drive (my backup for 10.4.11) and the FW800 Burly/Plextor. Once again, the other FW800 drive is gone, no more ports available. Of course I need the power supply for the 2nd hub on to access these 2 items. Doing this is easy, I just hit a button on my Kensington MasterPiece Plus Remote which supplies AC power to the hub brick. Can be done on the fly without rebooting if I first turn on the FW800 drive then hit the switch. Drive mounts. Burly/Plextor does not care about this order, just that the hub power supply be powered. All this works 10.4.11 or 10.5.2. The only problem I had was with the pooch I take care of while his parents are gone for week days, they both work. The dog kept coming in the room, wondering why my head was under the desk and whether I was playing with a tennis ball or eating something.

I am saving the 6-port hubs for another machine with better FW800 capabilities. k

Smile

they do love playing with those tennis balls don't they! My cairn terrier follows me around with one in his mouth in case I want to throw a couple..........
    Tom Babb

Yes they do Tom. I can just imagine yours. Last Christmas my wife put about 100 tennis balls in a box with the flaps held closed by the Christmas wrapping paper. We were all sitting around the tree and the wife put the box in front of him. He looked puzzled and then looked to his parents. My daughter-in-law tore a small part of the paper, he immediately got the idea, and tore it until the flaps opened up, dog heaven. It was hilarious. He rooted amongst the balls and selected the dirty, smelly one. We keep the box in the garage now and he selects one to take upstairs into the house when we come back from taking him out.

We also usually keep him on weekends when my son has team tennis matches or practice while the daughter has tennis lessons. They can't take him because the pooch barks at the balls inside the fence. A real pest. k

My primary Tiger 10.4.11 boot drive tho it worked developed a problem where it could not be repaired by DiskWarrior 4.0, either booting from the backup or using the CD. Disk Utility, Verify or Repair, said the drive was OK and SMART Verified.

It took me a couple of days to figure it out. Bad Blocks, also called Bad Sectors, could be the problem. So I updated my backup drive yesterday, then proceeded to Erase and using Security Option Zero Out Data (which maps out bad blocks) for my primary boot drive. That took a long time. Then SuperDuper to clone my backup to the primary drive which also took forever, 188GB. Once done, Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk. Once again, no problems. Finally ran DiskWarrior 4.0 and it worked just fine. Drive 10 says there are still blocks or sectors available tho it does not say how many. k

Let us know how the long term looks with that drive. Be interesting to see if the fix is permanent. Thanks for the report.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Short term, I ran DW4.0 for 2 days from the backup drive, everything works fine. Yesterday I upgraded to DW4.1 on almost all (2 of 3 Leopard drives) and both Tiger drives, works fine and the primary Tiger drive with what appears to have had bad blocks works fine.

I had ordered the DW4.1 upgrade CD well over a month ago, $49.95 + 8.95 for S&H. It never showed up and I never got an email that it was shipping. So 11 days ago I called and sales said they could see the order but no followup. Asked me to order again which I immediately did and it arrived a few days ago. The final price included an upgrade credit of -$37.00 so final price was $21.90. Don't know why, but I'll take it.

Will make a long term report in a month or so. k

I purchased another Cuda 7200.11 750GB SATAII 32MB cache drive from the MacGurus Store to go with one I already have. The intent was/is to replace the current Maxtor 500GB internal drives which are about 57% full now with the larger Cudas.

Unfortunately I will have to wait. My ISP caused my wife's iBook G4 to fail to deliver email and nothing my son or I could do would satisfy the ISP. So while my G5 still receives email but daily email warnings from the ISP, I went with Astound Internet for the wife which bundles with their Cable TV I already have. I chose their Power User Internet (10 Mbps downstream/1 Mbps upstream) but they further upgraded me to Power User Plus (10 Mbps downstream/1.5 Mbps upstream) but for the Power User bundle price. The wife's iBook screams. At least she is not yelling at me to get her email back up.

My G5 is a toad by comparison. My son will be setting me up too but he and his wife are currently getting ready for a trip to Italy and so I will have to wait which is OK. I want to get this all done before installing the Cudas. k

I love the keyboard that came with my G5. But recently the space bar would not yield a space unless hit real hard with my right thumb or somewhat less hard with my left thumb. An eBay listing claims new keyboards http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=001 and tho he ships in a much stronger box, the keyboard is new. I purchased 2.

Cost for 1 shipped from Canada to Concord, CA is $24.95 USD plus shipping UPS $20.00 USD, total $44.95 USD.

I then purchased 2 of these in Arctic http://iskin.com/store/i2shop_kbrd_a...21734359948547

The old one I have is getting tired. k

Thumbs up I need a cover

I then purchased 2 of these in Arctic http://iskin.com/store/....................
    That is what I need. I use a pencil erasure to type with ... talk about dirt and keyboard buildup. Tough to see the Y or P key. I'll get one.

Just be sure your keyboard is the exact same layout. k

Default UPS Diagram

Diagram changed (8-11-2008):
    1. FW800 Burly with Plextor DVD/CD SuperDrive added.
    2. FW800 Elite Pro Alum removed.
    3. 2x Burly 1-Bay SATA LCD Hotswap Enclosures with Cuda 7200.11 750GB 32MB cache drives added. k

Do you ever thought of starting a business as file-hoster

By the amount, sorry I ment the "brute force" of harddrives you have.
    I mean about 5TB of drive capacity

Maybe it is time for two powerlines

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Smile

.......Yeah, I have seen entire businesses that have less storage (quantity and quality) than you do Kaye. How about offering off site backups or co-location services?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Haven't poked my head in here for a while.

That's an impressive setup Kaye. If you add anything more you'll have to up your mains to 20.

Man I am getting hammered. Actually I have one more drive . Purchased in early March this year after my son came over with one of these to load a ton of digital photos onto my G5. Has a Seagate 5400RPM 8MB cache drive. Got it with a case. Use it for transferring photos to the wife's iBook G4 and taking stuff to the QuickSilver my son is using.
    Maxtor OneTouch. Reviews are not the greatest but I have not had any problems with it and even tho USB2, plenty fast for what I use it for. Plus a good Seagate 5 year warranty. k