Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: G5 2.7GHz

Nice enclosure!
    Good colling, good PSU and it is black like my computer, TFT, keyboard and mouse.

I whish I have one of these for my daily backup drive.
    Maybe Q1/Q2 2008

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

I will try to keep this as simple and compact as possible. Before installing Leopard, I read everything I could find on MacFixIt, I am a member. I have the Leopard Family Pack DVD for up to 5 computers/users in one household. Eventually I will have 4 computers to upgrade but for right now my G5 2.7GHz Dual G5 is the guinea pig and my Cuda1TB-32MB cache drive in Gurus Burly 1 Bay Hot Swap Enclosure connected to a SeriTek/1VE4 PCI-X card in 100MHz slot via Gurus 2 meter shielded eSATA to TypeA cable.

MacFixIt gave several possible installation alternatives with recommendations for each. I chose "Archive and Install, and do preserve users: This moves a lot of stuff aside to a Previous Systems folder, and installs a fairly clean system, but it preserves network settings and existing users and their files. This is very easy but a bit risky, since old preferences and other files are permitted to remain and can cause trouble later." This was the 3rd alternative in decreasing cleanliness order. So risky.

I first cloned my main Boot drive with 10.4.11 to the Cuda via SuperDuper. Then the DVD Leopard Archive and Install and do preserve users. First the DVD goes through a validation of the entire DVD and I let it complete that. Installation went fine on Leopard, later the optional applications, and then still later the DVD stalled at XcodeTools and Webdings even tho I had verified the DVD. There is a problem with the DVD. I got a kernal panic and shutdown.

On startup, it booted to the main internal drive and no sign of the Cuda even in Disk Utility on the DVD. I shutdown and turned off the Cuda/Burly case. Started up the Cuda then the G5 and now tho the Cuda did not mount on the desktop, Disk Utility on the DVD saw the Cuda and I was able to disk repair the Cuda and repair permissions. The Cuda mounted. One of the recommendations on MacFixIt to get to 10.5.1 was to download and install the combo 10.5.1 updater instead of using System Prefs Software Update. I did that. Apparently that will fix some problems.

Problems with kernal panics not over even tho I was booted to my internal main boot drive with 10.4.11. Now I knew for sure what the problem was. FirmTek says don't fix it (with an update to their cards) if it ain't broke. I followed their instructions in the download (SeriTek1VE4_5.3.1.zip) for all 3 of my SeriTek/1VE4 cards then shutdown and started up with with everything reconnected and running. That did it, no more kernal panics as of late yesterday and today and no problems booting to any of my 3 boot drives.

All of the downloads I had at the ready, on the Cuda, except the SeriTek download on the 10.4.11 boot drive. In hindsight of course I should have updated the FirmTek cards first. Would have saved a lot of grief. Still have an Xcode Tools download to do since the Leopard DVD won't do it to completion. Right now the Cuda is showing 181.11GB on disk. k

Default Sounds good Kaye

My Leopard experience has been 'ok' thus far.. however I did the complete wipe and zero and then Leopard install on a iBook G4, a PB G4 and a 17 iMac. I then used the combo updater 10.5.1 on all systems, not a problem encountered.

I am hesitant on my Wifes MDD machine, she is still using 10.4.11 and I cannot afford to break it. Will give Leopard a few more growing months before her boot drive is wiped and reformatted with Leopard.

So far so good, a few unknown issues with permission repairs is my only compaint...
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

While running a Leopard 10.5.1 test posted to the Sample PshopTest Results, I also decided to test QB3.1 results for my Cuda1TB-32MB and 8xRap150-16MB in Leopard. The test runs just fine but the results in Leopard are different for the RAID.

The Cuda, previous test when empty, QB3.1 in Leopard 10.5.1:
    100 MBytes------98 MB/Sec reads, 100 MB/Sec writes
    Now as boot drive:
    100 MBytes------96 MB/Sec reads, 99 MB/Sec writes
    Still amazing performance from this drive with 181.42GB on it and fragmented.

The 8xRap150 SoftRAID 3.6.4, 32KB SU, QB3.1, previous test in Tiger:
    100 MBytes-------724 MB/Sec reads, 952 MB/Sec writes
    Now, in Leopard 10.5.1:
    100 MBytes-------706 MB/Sec reads, 957 MB/Sec writes
    So, significantly slower in reads and somewhat faster in writes. k

I am dazzled. Seagate looks to have made good use of combining technologies with Maxtor. This is the first time in a long time that Seagate has led the pack in performance.

Better performance by far than even the RE2 from Western Digital. The RE2 was all the rave last month. The RE2 is just a teensy bit better than the Hitachi and the Seagate beats them both by nearly 20%.

Go Seagate.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Me too Rick. One other thing when testing the Cuda, I did not quit any background apps such as the Login Items in the Menu Bar (I have eleven) nor did I disable Spotlight. DSL still connected.

Testing the 8xRap150, I did quit several Login Items and disable Spotlight so that the QB3.1 test would be as close as possible to my previous test in Tiger. DSL still connected. k

Default DiskWarrior and Leopard

Selecting an operating system during startup (which I used below several times):

You can select which operating system to use during startup by holding down the Option key. This displays icons for all available startup disks, and lets you override the default setting for the startup disk in Startup Disk preferences (Mac OS X) or the Startup Disk control panel (Windows) without changing that setting.
    To select an operating system during startup:

1. Restart your computer and hold down the Option key until disk icons appear onscreen.
    2. Select the startup disk with the operating system you want to use, and then click the arrow beneath the icon.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/bc1147.html

DiskWarrior 4.0
    Based on info on the Alsoft website and MacFixIt, I can Rebuild the Directory but not work with the Files selection, repair permissions in particular. So I used the DW 4 CD (which has Tiger, 10.4.8 as I recall) and did the Option boot. Then selected the CD and booted to that. Ran DW on the Cuda with 10.5.1. Scary result:
    ---------
    DiskWarrior has successfully built a new optimized directory for the disk named "Cuda1TB-32MB." The new directory is ready to replace the original directory. All file and folder data was easily located.

Comparison of the original and replacement directories indicates that there will be changes to the number, the contents and/or the attributes of the files and folders. It is recommended that you preview the replacement directory and examine the items listed below. All files and folders were compared and a total of 24,496,448 comparison tests were performed.
    Errors, if any, in the directory structure such as tree depth, header node, map nodes, node size, node counts, node links, indexes and more have been repaired.
    60 files had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.
    2,379 files had a damaged extended attribute that was repaired.
    21 folders had a directory entry with an incorrect custom icon flag that was repaired.
    3 folders had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.

2 folders had a damaged extended attribute that was repaired.
    Incorrect values in the Volume Information were repaired.
    Disk Information:
    Files: 949,606
    Folders: 180,029
    Free Space: 750.21 GB
    Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Block Size: 4 K
    Disk Sectors: 1,953,262,944
    Media: ST31000340AS
    Time: 1/3/08 11:28:12 AM
    DiskWarrior Version: 4.0
    ------------
    Next I did an option reboot, selected the DW CD and ran the Directory Rebuild again. All OK. Rebooted and again did the option reboot, this time selected the Cuda and it booted just fine. Remember that this option method of booting does not change the Startup Disk preferences. I then ran the Leopard Disk Utility Repair Disk Permissions and Verify Disk and selected the Cuda as the Startup Disk.

Am in the process of checking all my apps and utilities. I have 2 updates on my Canon scanner to install for Leopard, an app and a driver. Then I will check the scanner in Leopard. k

Canon 8400F scanner works in 10.5.1 after installing the 2 downloads. Not quite as elegant as in 10.4.11. Same selections but instead of a preview to crop what is wanted, it scans the whole document then launches the app Preview with the crop tool selected. That works and can be saved.

What does not work is my Lexmark Z715 USB printer. I guess I had not tried printing in 10.5.1. Anyway Lexmark has a bunch of drivers for Leopard including several printers much newer and older than my Z715. Tried some of the older and newer, no luck. Tried Gutenprint + Cups + some of the same older and newer, again no luck. Gutenprint does not have a driver for the Z715. Maybe Lexmark will have a driver later. k

Anyone else noticed that running the installed on the hard drive DU in 10.5.1, not the Leopard DVD, takes forever? Yesterday I again repaired permissions on the Cuda which has about 182GB now. Estimated time started at 1', then 5', about 50% thru 6', then 8', 9', 10' about 60%, then slowly started down a minute at a time until 5' about 85% on the thermometer bar. Actually took 28' from start to finish. Verify Disk was only 2'. This Repair Permissions takes a considerable amount of patience. k

Yes sir.

Have not timed it, but on various machines - mostly late model MBs with 1GB of RAM - it is taking at least 10 minutes. First 3-5 it appears to do nothing, then creeps along slowly. And that is on test boxes with nothing much intalled beyond a base OS and a few apps.

Frustrating. No better in 10.5.2 beta.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yeah, Leopard DU is slow. I had the same experiences with repairs as you Kaye.

I found another fun one with Leopard DU. I formatted a Raptor in GUID on a MacPro for testing. After finished testing Da Boss needed some speed from the Gurus accounting server - which is a early G5. So I slapped that Raptor into the G5 and reformatted it, cloned the boot drive and tried to boot to it.

Silly me, Power PC won't boot to GUID mapped drive - of course. Tried to reformat to Apple Partition Table, no way to select that in Leopard DU. Leopard DU has no option to go back.

If this happens to anyone else, they just need to get a Tiger or other pre Leopard installer CD or DVD and run DU off of that. Reformatting the drive will replace the GUID Tables with Apple.

As an aside, after doing that process the G5 became very unstable running on the Raptor. Ended up having to go back to a Seagate boot drive.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I could easily fall into that trap except for the fact I don't have a MacPro. k

I just repaired permissions booted to Tiger 10.4.11 175GB used boot drive, 38sec. Verify Disk took 58sec. That's more like it. k

Yeah, the only good news is, I see less and less need to repair permissions.......compared to back in 10.2 when it seemed like a good monthy task.

ACLs are interesting in 10.5 because although DU will detect them, it does not change/reset them.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lexmark tech tells me that they will not be updating Leopard drivers for my Lexmark Z715 USB printer. Bummer. I have several black, color, and photo color cartridges unused. So I will stick with printing in Tiger until they are used up. Then, for as little as $29, I can get a Lexmark inkjet that is compatible with both Tiger and Leopard but of course it uses different cartridges. k

Some updates to my Leopard experiences. First, still no more kernal panics since updating my 3 SeriTek/1VE4 cards to 5.3.1 either in 10.4.11 or 10.5.1. SoftRAID has an update to 3.6.6 which I have installed on both operating systems. It now fully supports Leopard they say. I will see if there is an improvement to the times in Boots' Pshop test, or it may be under the hood with no improvement in times.

Recent Software Update in Leopard had 3 updates:
    iTunes, QuickTime, and Front Row. What? Front Row? Well I downloaded and installed the update. Then went looking for the app. I messed with it a little bit but keyboard commands were an exercise to get used to. Went searching on Apple.

"Enjoy your music, movies, photos, and videos from across the room and even across the house with the Front Row media experience and Apple Remote. Intuitive Apple hardware and software make it easy to put on a show.

Pass the popcorn.

Connect your MacBook to a large-format display or TV and dazzle your friends with an elegant full-screen media extravaganza. Front Row transforms movie night into a blockbuster Hollywood premiere. Shake up your party with instant access to iTunes music, TV shows, and movies. Make grandma cry with photos from graduation. Watch home movies, music videos, and DVDs.

On the go.

Projector ready

Thanks to DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite connectivity, MacBook and Front Row work effortlessly with most projectors."

Well I don't have an Apple Remote nor projector. So how did the app get on my Leopard drive? Then I realized that it must be the combo 10.5.1 updater installation. k

An alert from MacFixIt, Alsoft has "released" DiskWarrior 4.1 for Leopard, except you cannot purchase the Update (not Upgrade) nor can you create your own CD yet. More waiting.
    http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/requirements.html k

Purchased the Burly Single Bay SATA DVD-R MGBurly1-PX, eSATA Burly with installed Plextor SuperDrive. Could not get it to work. In email with Rick, he said the PCI card it is attached to must be ATAPI supported. DUH! I never even thought of that. I checked the FirmTek site for the SeriTek/1VE4 and it does show ATAPI Device Support. I can only guess that somewhere in updating firmware, the card lost that support. If you want the eSATA version, be sure your PCI card supports ATAPI.

Some possibilities came to mind. SeriTek/1S2, another PCI-X card? Discarded those in order to keep my 3 SeriTek/1VE4 PCI-X cards as is. Rick said to hook up the Plextor to my wife's FW backup to her iBook G4, a Burly Single Bay Firewire Hotswap SATAII Drive Enclosure MGBurly1FWHS.

Removed the hotswap drive, connected both Burlys together with a SATA data cable, and powered both up. Worked like a charm. I watched movies, both commercial DL and self made SL. Both FW800 and FW400 equally good. Note that none of the Data Transfer Rates come close to FW400 limits (as long as your FW400 is recent vintage), the highest being 24.7MB/sec and most much less. Rick said to order the SATA to FW800/USB2 bridge brd DOIF8UC-S, Burly bridge for Firewire 800, Oxford 924. I could install the bridge in the eSATA Burly with installed Plextor SuperDrive and be good to go. Ordered the bridge and a Burly Single Bay Firewire DVD-R MGBurly1FW-PX, Firewire 800/400 Burly with installed Plextor SuperDrive. It comes with very heavy duty FW800 and FW400 cables as well as USB2.
    http://macgurus.com/productpages/sata/BurlyDVD-R.php

I've been working with it. It boots the Leopard DVD, and I was able to create a disc image of my MDD G4 Apple Hardware Test CD via Toast Ti v8.0.3 that my G5's internal SuperDrive refused to do with Disk Utility. Must be something on the CD to prevent copying. Marvelous Burly and Plextor, very pleased. k

Cuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - I purchased 2 of these from the Gurus Store. Originally I planned to wait for the update of SuperDuper to include Leopard compatibility, still waiting but close the author says. So the drives were still in their shipping boxes until I saw a thread on http://xlr8yourmac.com/ about incorrect drive model and firmware issues resulting in something other than the drive model number and wrong cache size. This is with firmware SD04. My Cuda1TB has SD01. After unpacking the drives, they both do have SD04 according to the labels on the drives and the part number that Seagate says are or could be affected.

Spoke with Rick over the phone and he was well aware of the issue and they were checking their stock. As far as checking the cache size, apparently no way on a Mac unless Intel model. I found no way on my G5. If anyone does know of a way, I would be interested to hear. It is possible to get part of the 32MB cache size. Most of the cases however seem to be zero cache. Rick offered to update my drives to SD14 but the drives work so at this time I declined his offer.

One at a time I put them in my Burly 1 Bay Hotswap LCD Enclosure http://macgurus.com/productpages/sat...Enclosures.php connected to a SeriTek/1VE4. They come from the Gurus Store with a jumper set for SATA1 but can easily be set for SATAII by removing the jumper.

And they do work very well. If anything, with firmware SD04, they are faster than my Cuda1T.

This is with Allow Write Cache Purging enabled/checked but the results with it disabled/unchecked are very nearly the same. Very pleased, great drives. Once SuperDuper is updated for Leopard, then the drives will go into my G5 for the time being. k

ZoneBench results

k