Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: G5 2.7GHz

I had a Maxtor 1-Touch that had USB/FW. The problem I had with it was it would put itself to sleep if inactive for a short period, and then I couldn't wake the damn thing up. The included Mac utility program wouldn't let me change the sleep setting. I had to hook it up to a PC to do that.

After I got that straightened out it worked fine.

I hooked it up yesterday and let it sit for two hours. Then had no trouble getting it to wake up. Perhaps my included Mac utility program is a later version or maybe because I am using USB2. Don't know why but it works. k

I now have 4x Cuda 7200.11 750 GB SATAII 32 MB cache (ST3750330AS) thanks to Laurie counting up the number of drives shipped to me with a 4th just delivered. One of the drives is current with Tiger and will go inside the G5. Another will be current with Leopard and will also go inside the G5. The remaining two will be my backups installed in 2x Burly 1 Bay Hot Swap Enclosures Black (MGBurly1HS) with LCD SATA Drive Trays.

Also purchased 2x Cuda 7200.11 1500 GB SATAII 32 MB cache (ST31500341AS) drives but have not had time to set them up, just look at them. k

I have burned 200+ single and Dual Layer DVDs with the Pioneer DVR-109 in my G5. Just finished a project with it where I made 18 copies of DVD+R SL 58.5 minutes and 594 photos with 6 Menu items and 99 photos per Menu. As always, no coasters and everything worked fine. Next day I opened the tray and put in Adobe Photoshop CS4 upgrade and closed the tray. Nothing happened and I finally tried to open the tray. Would not open. I then tried about 6 different ways to open the tray but unable. Sounded like the motor had given up. The Adobe DVD was trapped.

Because I was intending to replace the 2 internal Maxtor 500GB hard drives with 2 of my Cuda 750GB 7200.11 with 32MB cache drives anyway, I printed up all the material on removing and replacing the Pioneer and ordered a http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Pioneer/DVR116DBK/ from OWC. While awaiting the OWC shipment, I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the G5 including the fans, everything including vacuuming thoroughly as well as blowing everything out. Also removed the 2 FW800 OWC external hard drives and one of the two FW800 Granite 3 port hubs so that now I only have the Gurus Burly Plextor burner and the cable for my SanDisk FW800 CF reader/writer. I only plug the SanDisk in when I need it. The hub I want to help protect the single FW800 port on the back of the G5. They are connected together with a Granite FW800 diagnostic cable.

The OWC shipment arrived and I proceeded to remove the old Pioneer. Still unable to open the tray. I completely disassembled it and recovered the Adobe DVD. It looked just fine, no scratches anywhere, but the old Pioneer was done for. The new Pioneer DVR-116DBK I set for Cable Select just like the old one. But the OWC printed instructions for removing the tray front door to allow the tray to exit the G5 opening properly were old. I looked at their MDD G4 video on the wife's iBook G4 and it showed the proper way. The video is here http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm and the removal of the tray front is about half way through the video. Installed the new Pioneer, installed the 2 Cudas, put the G5 back together, and put it back in its position under my computer desk with everything plugged in.

Went to Tiger ASP and it showed Burn Support: Yes (Unsupported). So I went ahead and downloaded the latest PatchBurn, ran it, and now Tiger ASP shows Burn Support: Yes (Vendor Supported). Don't know if that was necessary, I can always uninstall it. Will find out pretty soon.

MeritLine DVDs http://www.meritline.com/dvd-plus-r-blank-media.html has 3 grades of media. I chose the Professional Grade Verbatim since I have had good results with their dual layer DVDs before. Bought a cake box of 50 http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-16...ded-95037.html k

Forgot to mention that I also replaced the battery. Still Radio Shack #23-026 but they are back to using Tadiran battery and now 1200mAh.

Also, I purchased an internal DVD drive from http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/m...Code=STORDVDRW

It might have been a better choice. k

I burned the same project that I had done with the DVR-109 that later died, this time with the new OWC Pioneer DVR-116DBK with PatchBurn installed and with my new Pro Grade Verbatim SL discs. Both the old BeAll and Verbatim discs are up to 16x. Only difference is the DVR. Old burner took 11 minutes to burn the project disc. New burner took 4 minutes, quite a difference. And the new burner works perfectly on both my G5 and a DVD player which is hooked to my TV. I still don't know if PatchBurn was necessary but everything works so it is a keeper. k

In the midst of all the work I was doing on the G5, Da Boss complained that she could not get email and internet. Our son had set us up with a Linksys Wireless-G VPN Router with RangeBooster Model WRV200 when we switched from DSL to Astound Cable, way faster. Da Boss and I used wired, our son and his wife used the wireless when they came over with their Dell laptops. Back in August of this year I purchased a NetGear RP614 v4 in case I ever needed it. A number of folks here have recommended NetGear in the past.

I called #1 son and he had me run a number of tests on the Linksys and Motorola Cable Modem and nothing worked. Finally he asked if I had any other routers. Yup, the NetGear still in its box. It works great, no wireless. But I do have a wired connector near the kitchen table where they put their laptops. And he brings along another Linksys, same model, to connect there if they want to move around. k

G5 2.7GDP, 1xCuda 7200.11-32MB SATA 1.5TB, MGBurly1HS LCD, SeriTek/1VE4, 100 slot, 1xCH, SR 3.6.7, MacOS 10.4.11, QB4.0.4-100MB

G5 2.7GDP, 2xCuda 7200.11-32MB SATA 1.5TB, MGBurly1HS LCD, SeriTek/1VE4, 100 slots, 2xCH, SR 3.6.7 with 128KB SU, MacOS 10.4.11, QB4.0.4-100MB

These Cudas really go. Going to change the RAID to 32KB SU for Photoshop and use them for that. k

Single Cuda, 0 i/o errors out of about half a million i/o requests. 2xCuda RAID0, 0 i/o errors out of about one million i/o requests. Both drives Firmware SD17. I chose to disable journaling which was one method suggested to get around the problem with that Firmware.

ZoneBench:

Could sustain uncompressed HD speeds with only 4 drives in a RAID0 array meeting the required 265 MB/sec throughout their capacity in a RAID0 array. k

Those Pro Grade Verbatim SL discs, even thou burned way faster in my new Pioneer burner, are significantly sharper in quality than the old BeAll discs, both the digital photos and the transitions. k

Never had a problem with iTunes songs on burned DVDs tho I do get complaint windows from within the iDVD audio processing operation.

But I Googled a question regarding burning a CD disc of selected iTunes songs that would be playable on any CD player, old or new. I have a very old BoomBox, a CD/DVD player, a CD player attached to my 6-channel stereo, and a CD player in my wife's 2004 VW Passat Wagon with 8 channel 200 watt Monsoon system (no wonder she cannot hear anymore).

The consensus was that it can be done in iTunes if audio CDs are purchased and burn at 1x (particularly for old equipment). Late versions of iTunes the proper burning is buried in Preferences. My version of iTunes 8.0.2 you just go the the Burn Disc button near the bottom of the window and make the selections. I went to my local Radio Shack and purchased a Memorex Music CD-R Discs 30-pack cakebox for $14.99 plus tax. Never used Memorex before and of course I was curious if my new OWC Pioneer would do it. Songs are a mixture of Bit Rate 128kbps and 256kbps, all Sample Rate 44.100kHz, most Protected AAC audio files, a few Purchased AAC audio files. 20 Christmas songs, 1 hour, 83.5MB. The consensus was that about 20 songs and 1 hour would be about all I could get on the audio CD which turned out to be nearly correct. iTunes does check to see that you are not trying to burn more than the audio CD can hold.

The first time I did it, iTunes gave me a choice of my old Pioneer (no longer installed) and my new OWC Pioneer. It required a shutdown and startup to get rid of the old Pioneer selection. Pushing the Burn Disc button gave me this window:

My new OWC Pioneer worked great as did the burning disc settings and burned CDs in all of my CD players. Burning at 1x is very slow tho. The files on the CD are all AIFF Audio Files. The Pioneer burn Activity LED shows thru the grille of my G5 under the tray door. Questions or comments? k

Personally I would disable sound check since it can alter the volume of the individual tracks within an album. I find this annoying. I would also set the gap to 0 since it's annoying to get dead air space in between tracks that are meant to have a seamless transition.

As for the burn speed you should be fine at higher speeds as long as the media is able to keep up. I've never had a problem with my disks not playing in older players. I have had the opposite problem though: disks that were burned on another computer cause skipping/errors on my computer, but play fine in my CD/DVD players.

I have to wonder about that last one. A friend of mine will occasionally burn me an audio CD from stuff he's purchased from the iTunes store. They all seem to have problems when I play them on my Mac, but not on a dedicated CD/DVD player. Hmmmmmmmmmm..............

I have never needed to burn slower than 2X regardless of where the CD was played, or what it was burned on. Not fast, but it is twice as fast.........
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the info guys. I will try increasing the speed, 2X and 4X. The gap is intentional since the songs alternate between Frank Sinatra and Diana Krall. Sound check, within iTunes I have preset the volume level for each tune on the playlist. If I were mixing songs from different playlists, then I will remember to disable sound check. I am new to this stuff. Very good to know. k

It has taken me awhile to get back to this subject. I went ahead and burned at 4x with the audio CDs and reduced the gap between songs to 1 second and checked all of my CD players as well as my son's players. Worked perfectly and took much less time to burn. Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.

Now for an explanation of why using the iTunes equalizer settings works for this particular CD and for just playing the songs in iTunes but probably would not for a mixture of songs and other types of music. The Sinatra Silent Night settings utilizing Equalizer Preset Vocal Booster Music:

Now the Equalizer Settings set for Vocal Booster that apply to all of the songs both Sinatra and Krall:

There are 22 Equalizer Presets and a manual mode for creating other custom Presets.

This results in Volume adjustments for each of the 20 songs. In general, the Sinatra Volume is increased and the Krall Volume is decreased but each song for Sinatra and Krall is increased/decreased a different amount, none are the same. For example, the Sinatra Silent Night Volume is increased, +2.1 dB (bottom left of the pic)

and the Krall White Christmas Volume is decreased, -1.0 dB:

I think if I had all types of music or music and voice, I would not get the desired effect utizing the Equalizer. Anyway, for what I wanted for these 20 songs, it works. Questions or comments? k

I never use the EQ or Sound Check. I like to hear the recordings exactly how they were originally presented. Of course if you have older stuff that was remastered, and/or part of a compilation they likely already have been tampered with before you got it.

I'm not sure exactly how Sound Check works, but it seems to calculate the RMS level of the file, and adjust that to some preset level. That would explain why the older recording is boosted, and the newer one is cut. Modern recordings are mastered much hotter than stuff that was done even 10-15 years ago to the point that it is common these days for recordings to be purposely driven into clipping for the sake of loudness. It's the Loudness War. Ugh.

Well that is interesting. Years ago I had an amplifier with a Loudness switch. At low volume levels it did sound more pleasing with that switch on. k

A loudness switch engages an EQ contour that compensates for our ears' lack of sensitivity to low frequenies at low volumes.

Guess we don't need those anymore since everything is being made loud for us.

Thumbs up

yeah, I still use my boom box in the background of my office to keep the noise from next door from my ears.

Works great, as said for soft playing.... never have turned it up in over ten years ...... a must have!

Sometime in August, 2004 I purchased a Lexmark Z715 USB color InkJet printer for about $40. First used it with my GigaMDD and then after I got the G5 it has been my main printer. For about a month it has been making noises, like gears stripping, also leaking some red from the color cartridge, and when I installed a new color cartridge, the printer would not do an automatic color/black alignment.

I finally got on eBay and found a guy up in Alaska with a used one for sale because he purchased a fancier printer awhile back. It cost about $35 including shipping, arrived, and I installed it today. It looks brand new and works just fine. k