Thread: G5 2.7GHz

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking G5 2.7GHz

Delivered yesterday to go with a 23" Cinema HD display. I purchased some extras but essentially 512MB RAM (CL3), Radeon 9650 w/ 256MB VRAM, and 250GB WDC WD2500JD-41HBC0 8MB cache drive.

Last night and this morning. I ran some tests: Cinebench for G5(beta). Altivec Fractal Carbon, and Xbench.

I then removed the OEM RAM and installed 4x Gurus 1GB sticks with stickers on the sticks that say CL2.5 and Tiger System Profiler confirms as 25330. What a deal at the Gurus Store. Thanks Rick, Gurus RAM works flawlessly. Again with the 9650 and now with 4GB RAM, I reran the three tests ending with an Xbench score of 399.86 running a RAM disk.

Tomorrow I hope to install a Radeon X800 XT ME and run Cinebench and Xbench again. Altivec Fractal Carbon is a CPU intensive test and gives me the same score regardless of RAM amount. Will summarize results afterwards. But what a sweet machine.

Then I plan install a UL4D. At some point will run Boot's Pshop Test with Pshop CS2. Have not decided on a SATA card yet. k

Couldn't stand that Xbench score of 399.86 so I ran it again tonite and now 402.15. Posted to the Xbench G5 DB. k

Thumbs up Congratulations!!!

Tried to boot my new G5 at work today (arrived 8.10 am).

No go

After removing 2GB of RAM it booted up.
    Installed this RAM in an 1.8 single, there it was working.
    Installed the RAM from the 1.8 in the 2.7GHz and it was running.

Config:
    G5 Dual 2.7GHz
    6GB RAM
    2x Atlas 15kII 73GB
    ATI 9650
    ATTO UL4S
    Fibre Channel
    2x 19" Xerox TFT

OS 10.3.9 (had to install this on another G5 and moved the HD to the 2.7GHz afterwards)

XBench score: 416.34! (Atlas) 422.15! (FC RAID)

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Lightbulb

kaye,

ATI posted a ROM update for the X800 last night.

I assume that breaking 400 is some kind of record, guys!

Kudos to 'Gurus for best endorsement and support for G5 2.7.

rick has enough on his plate for the next couple... months... to keep busy without worrying about RAM.

That is super Nicolas. Post both to Xbench. Mention MacGurus in the comments. I think this OEM drive is holding me back.

I got your email TZ about that and thanks. Yes we are the first ones to break 400. k

Very nice gentleman.

Hey Nic....was that FC setup as hard to install and configure as I warned you?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac
    Very nice gentleman.

Hey Nic....was that FC setup as hard to install and configure as I warned you?
    Yes, it was

Completely painless, thanks again Unc!

Sorry guys, no 400MB/s just 372MB/s (HW FC RAID0 two channels connected)
    RAID0 was configured for testing only, RAID5 scores are lower around 250MB/s.

I want to try 6 of those Atlas drives with two UL3D's next week when the HD's arrive.

The FC card is installed in the 133MHz slot right now.

Don't have inet access on this beast.

Two ? for you guys:

Should I use 2 UL3D's or an UL3D and the UL4S?

Do you think I can create a software RAID0 (using DU) with 4x Atlas and the FC HW (creating a volume with 73GB)?

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Gimmie 5 bucks on Kaye to hit 425 first. xBench's Newest Top Dog - Kaye. Need to say powered by Guru's hardware and technical support. Ah I just read the RAM plug. Nice.

Great job guys.