Thread: DRIVE EXPERTS:: Fat32 formatted drive/OSX cant copy from drive

Default DRIVE EXPERTS:: Fat32 formatted drive/OSX cant copy from drive

Hi,
    At a studio I work at a producer put a month of audio (pro tools) sessions on fat32 formatted hard drive (Lacie 250 Porche) without preping it as HFS+. This drive has sessions from major artists on it so it IS a problem for him. I am trying to help him out and I am in turn asking the help of the drive geniuses here as I am out of ideas.
    The directory is most likely a bit corrupted as the drive only mounts after MUCH effort and quite rarely. Here is what i've done so far..............
    I connected the drive to my powerbook running Tiger. I First ran disk utility and found out it was fat32. I knew Diskwarrior would perhaps toast a fat32 drive so I skipped it. I skipped ALL mac utilities. The second FW port on this Drive seems to be frying other drives FW ports (2) so I connected the the backup drive to another machine and mounted it via ethernet. I than tried to copy the files out to the backup drive. They would not copy because of permissions but I fixed that. They than refused to copy because they could not read the data in the .ds_store (error -39) files (even to the desktop) I than ran cocktail (for tiger) to delete the .ds_store files. That looked like it was deleting the files but when I turned on invisible files, they were still in every folder and sub folder on the drive. I attempted to delete them by hand (mouse) but they would not move.
    (UPDATE) I just got one session folder to start to copy 58 gigs YESSSS.
    I have tried 6 session folders and they failed but this folders .ds_store files I guess were not corrupted.
    I am afraid to dismount the drive as it may never mount again. What are my options for the 30 other session folders?
    Can I repair it on a PC without killing the resource forks?
    Thank You
    Studiogeek
    Last edited by studiogeek; 05-10-2005 at 11:41 PM.

Hello studiogeek,

sounds like the FW enclosure has issues, do you have another enclosure to put the drive in?

AFAIK FAT32 only supports volumes up to 124GB and a max filesize of 4GB.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...re/fatgen.mspx
    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

BTW OSX can only read NTFS volumes but, it can not write to those.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Thank you for your reply.
    I somehow got it last night.
    The laptop copy action froze while trying to copy last night.... I restarted the finder and tried again than the .ds_store files copied fine without corruption..... go figure??
    S