Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Unsanity Haxies

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference
    Posts
    2,929

    Default Unsanity Haxies

    Hi all,

    My beloved Classic Menu was broken by Tiger. I found a replacement that was even better. Unsanity has a haxie called Fruit Menu Very nice! Also they have Cleardock which I also like. Installed and they both work well as far as what they do.... but....

    With App Enhancer (a part of the package) Cleardock and Fruit Menu installed NO optical media would ever show up on the desktop. THAT"S a problem! No joy on the inetrnal drive or either of my firewire dvd drives.

    I have reported this to Unsanity but as yet have had no reply from them
    Damien,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    on the landline, Mr. Smith
    Posts
    7,787

    Default

    Yeah, love Unsanity.

    Have not tested their stuff with Tiger though...

    We use Fruit menu to get rid of that very dangerous "Software Update" for all our users, plus we slap the IP of the machine in the Apple menu too - very handy as it is live. If a machine is connected, the IP is displayed, if not it will say "No IP Adress". Very handy stuff.

    Keep us posted how this shakes out.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unclemac
    Yeah, love Unsanity.

    Have not tested their stuff with Tiger though...

    We use Fruit menu to get rid of that very dangerous "Software Update" for all our users, plus we slap the IP of the machine in the Apple menu too - very handy as it is live. If a machine is connected, the IP is displayed, if not it will say "No IP Adress". Very handy stuff.

    Keep us posted how this shakes out.
    Fruit Menu and Windowshade X have been running great on three machines.

    I also use Dragthing and it works on Tiger as well.

    Just be sure to download the most recent upates of course.

    Especially APE (Application Enhancer) for Fruit Menu/Windowshade.
    Otherwise you'll get some funky behavior.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jollybgood
    Fruit Menu and Windowshade X have been running great on three machines.

    I also use Dragthing and it works on Tiger as well.

    Just be sure to download the most recent upates of course.

    Especially APE (Application Enhancer) for Fruit Menu/Windowshade.
    Otherwise you'll get some funky behavior.
    just an update. As it turns out Fruit Menu clobbers Tiger - only it's not readily apparent.

    I noticed clicking on menu items resulted in a five to ten second delay on both my powerbook and my desktop. I figured it was just spotlight indexing in the background or widgets causing a delay. I got used to it after a few days.

    Then I picked up my wife's 12" powerbook and noticed her system was running lightyears faster than my machines with a 1/4 of the memory.

    That got me poking around eventuall leading me to uninstall Fruit Menu.

    Boom! Things were zippy again. And I was running the Tiger update.

    Something to look into if you're gettting the beach ball when you right click for a contextual menu or find clicking on the apple logo doesn't get instant results. The difference was pretty amazing to me.

    I love Fruit Menu but it goes on the shelf until they update it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jollybgood
    just an update. As it turns out Fruit Menu clobbers Tiger - only it's not readily apparent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien
    With App Enhancer (a part of the package) Cleardock and Fruit Menu installed NO optical media would ever show up on the desktop. THAT"S a problem!
    I was a haxie user for a brief time. But for the above sort of examples, i.e. updates breaking the haxies and problems with App Enhancer, I'm haxie free. App Enhancer was bad news for me, consuming CPU resources, bogging down the system, as well as little glitches.

    If there's a haxie free way to do something, that's what I use. For instance instead of Cleardock, I use Transparent Dock. Pros and cons with that app too. Transparent Dock modifies files within the Dock app, so it's a deeper hack than Cleardock which relies an App Enhancer. But therein lies the rub with Cleardock, the problematic App Enhancer.

    But just like haxies, if Apple changes something significantly Transparent Dock breaks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Good point. I can live without Fruit Menu actually. But Windowshade X is a different story.

    It really helps my work flow in a way Expose can't.

    I was hoping Apple would see fit to bring window shades into OSX but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •