Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting Tiger

Question Troubleshooting Tiger

Hello,

it would be nice to see what programs work in 10.4 (aka Tiger).

I searched the web and found this:

VLC 8.1 working
    SuperDuper! 1.5.5 working
    MovieGallery working
    Freeway Pro and Express 3.5.15 working
    Default Folder X 2.0 working
    SlimBatteryMonitor working

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Thumbs up Thanks TZ

The info of the above mentioned programs are from the developers of the same.

I thought it would be nice to have a call it "Checklist" what Apps need/don't need to be updated if you plan on installing Tiger.

Thanks for suggesting VT not thought of it.

Regards

Nicolas

Thumbs up Wow! Nice infos!!!

Thanks TZ

Regards

Nicolas

Default Tiger Tiger burning bright....

I came home friday morning and to my surprise found Tiger waiting for me at my door. I thought perhaps I had fallen through a rip in time.

I put it on my laptop after cloning its hardrive to a firewire drive. Played with it for a few days. Other than not liking Dragthing, Tiger seemed to be running fine. Most of my programs seem to work fine. Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator -- the important stuff I butter my bread with.

By Saturday afternoon I was ready to turn to my MDD DP 1.4 with the Digadesign upgrade (was an 867). Had my fingers crossed.

Happy to report its been running for 36+ hours now without a reboot and all is well. There are some annoying problems with some third party apps but that's to be expected. Truth is there are fewer of these (so far) than I had with the last OSX upgrade.

Little Snitch died (haven't tried the update yet)
    One of the Classic programs I use in my comic (Deskpaint) is broken.

Won't launch when you click on a deskpaint file -- you have to open it them through deskpaint's menu now. It's a program written circa 1980 so I'm jsut glad it still works. (if you're wondering why I still use it, it's becaues it's hard to find a simple pixel pusher for osx)

Haven't been able to get iSync to transfer my rules from Mail from one computer to other through my .mac account.

My HP scanner is dead. Haven't tried Vue Scan yet.

I'm really p.o.ed about one thing. No more aliases on the desktop. All my aliases were trashed and swept away with the upgrade. I rely on them to keep organized when laying out the magazine each month. Tried replacing them but Tiger won't let me. Thought it was a fluke but its the same on both computers. Searched system prefernces for a toggle but I don't see one.

Surely Tiger isn't designed to break the magic of aliases....??

From what I can see aliases can only be made within folders and moved from one folder to another.

Something else I noticed. When trying to copy certain apps from one computer to another by dragging them across my wireless network, Tiger refuses to do so.

In the past I was able to drag programs like File Pro and Office from one drive to another. Now the ghosted image of the app folder simply snaps back to the original drive and nothing happens.

But other apps I'm able to drag as normal. Strange behavior. Not sure if it's by design or something to do with my airport network. Waiting to see if anyone else reports this behavior. Maybe Tiger is just trying to teach me good habits with aliases and moving apps out of the app folder.

On the plus side my powerbook zips along. Seems like a new powerbook.
    (and my 10.3 install was relatively fresh -- having had to reinstall it about three weeks ago). I was afraid Tiger would slow things down because of memory overhead but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway this looks to be a solid upgrade over all. Works well with my Giga bump and all the important programs I use seem to work.

A little ticked about the alias situation. If it can't be turned off or tweaked I'm hoping a haxie is coming down the pipe.

Default Almost forgot...

I did have to pull my USB 2 card from its PCI slot on the MDD.

Had problems importing images from my Kodak digicam through it's dock. System would lock up. Plugging it into my stock USB port it worked fine.

Not sure if its a driver issue or what. I bought it second hand with no CD or documentation. Never had to install a driver with 10.3.

But it was a 20 dollar investment so it's no big deal. External hub seems to be working fine and I don't have any USB 2 devices anyway.

Wink I will wait till 10.4.2 too

TZ,

it is like it ever was.

First buyers are Beta-Testers

Regards

Nicolas

Lightbulb Ccc

Mike Bombich mentioned that all his apps (including current version of Carbon Copy Cloner) don't work in Tiger due to a simple bug that affects authentication.

If you open Terminal and drop CCC after sudo it can then be used.
    Last edited by TZ; 05-10-2005 at 02:38 PM.

Thumbs up Watching this thread like the proverbial Hawk.

Thanks for you Guys pulling all this together here. Good to have some idea to the side of what is being offered in the way of Promotional information. 'Specially appreciate the information on which third party apps will/won't work in 10.4.
    Not planning to move to 10.4 until I buy a new Comp I must say. Will leave the Old G4 on 10.3.9 of course no matter wot.

CB
    It's a nice nose! I like it! It's chewy!!

Default Update

Jolly,

thanks for your input!

Chris,

always nice to hear that a thread helped.

TZ,

what else can I say, great infos!

I was using mainly 10.2.8 till 10.3.4.
    Well, after my last Java mess with 10.3.9 and after some friends mentioned, that font management software like Suitcase
    could give you real headaches, it is the best to wait.

Some sites mentioned a 30% speed impovement in Tiger wich is nice but,
    maybe not worth of the troubles you can have.

Some fiends of mine get panic attacks about that Tiger is optimized for 64Bit G5's. I think it is the same as it was with the switch from 68k to PPC CPU's. Even OS9 has only a 51.7% PPC code ratio. http://www.macinfo.de/bench/traps.html
    I think a "real" 64Bit improvement would take at least till 10.4.5 or 10.5.
    But with 64Bit Apps will getting bigger too, like it was with RISC compared to 68k CISC code.

All in all I think 10.4 is a step ahead, but not a huge one.
    I wonder how some Linux Distributions like Ubuntu (New PPC Live CD available (V.5.04) wich works great on an iBook I had for testing) managed it, to speed things up the new live CD is up to twice as fast, installed on the HD it is screaming!!!.

A friend of mine ordered Tiger and we will update his two Macs (G4 MDD Dual 867MHz, G5 2.5GHz) when Tiger arrive. He is a designer wich is using QXP, Adobe's CS Pro Suite and a lot of other Apps like Freehand and Creator.

I will post his (and my, by helping him ) experience.

Best Regards

Nicolas

Lightbulb Sonnet Tempo, SIIG, TTPro 4.03, DW 3.02

One person's comments on MacIntouch was that the latest Disk Warrior, 4.03... I think they should have another cup of joe and are talking about TechTool Pro 4.03... but it was a no go and may have clobbered the Tiger Applications folder trying to optimize (people go silly with disk utilities as if a disk drive needs constant optimizing etc).

Also,

[i]"... it looks as though the SIIG card is just not going to work, barring a firmware update."

Update: the problem booting Tiger off my SIIG ATA card had nothing to do with the configuration. It seems that my main boot drive was hopelessly corrupted. When I say hopelessly, I mean it--not even DiskWarrior could do anything with it. After backing it up and reformatting, Tiger boots from the SIIG card and has been working brilliantly (fingers crossed).

Further,
    Sonnet ATA controller drivers. MacFixIt reader Rick Prescott reports that Sonnet's PCI-based ATA/100 controller card is not properly functional under Mac OS X 10.4.

"The ATA 100 Sonnet controller is broken in Tiger. Their response is that they are 'waiting for the GM of Tiger...' to see what is happening. The ACard 100/133 controller works well. At least I can get to my other two drives now."
    Sonnet, the GM was available a month ago. You mean the shipping version? Yes, one of our friends has often said that Apple would make changes between GM and shipping (there were rumors that those 10.3.0 FW bugs were gone in the FC build, so why did they get included in the final shipping version?).

guess it is nice to have extra controllers handy. Remembering how long it took for ATTO (18 months?) or that Panther didn't ship with the latest Adaptec driver, and ATTO support (driver 2.4 shipped, ATTO posted 2.5 day after Panther shipped).

And then Software Update is foobar?

Over two years ago, IBM demonstrated 40% boost from compiler update and changes. That is the stuff that matters (and that the code is clean of course!). Does Xcode 2.0 use GCC 3.4 or 4.0? If 4.0, give developers time, like a year for 4.02 and time to learn how to use the new compiler.
    Last edited by TZ; 04-27-2005 at 07:51 AM.

Lightbulb Cocktail 3.6

Tiger only compatible version of Cocktail 3.6 posted.
    Cocktail Download home page
    Version Tracker
    www.macosxcocktail.com

Lightbulb

Macupdate shows a Tiger compatible version TTP v4.0.4:

TechTool Pro 4.0.4 update adds 10.4 compatability and fixes

Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" Compatibility.
    Corrected reported issues with eDrive creation.
    Corrected iMac G5 Main Memory information drawer layout.
    Corrected Video Memory information drawer for older machines.
    Corrected Optimization window display issue.
    Corrected Fast User Switching issue.
    Corrected Gigabit connection speed in Network test.
    Additional FireWire hard drive support in Drives category.
    Additional support for Mobility Radeon 9700 in Video Memory test.
    Enhanced USB information drawer display.
    Added support for Case-sensitive volumes.
    Global updates for identifying new machines and hardware.
    Other minor fixes and updates.

Requirements" Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later, TechTool Pro 4.0.x.
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/4307

http://macupdate.com/download.php/4307/tt404u.bin

Update: Some users have no trouble, and there are always a few that feel there are problems (in 10.3.9 as well as 10.4).

AppleJack, OS X troubleshooting/repair tool doesn't work with Tiger.
    Last edited by TZ; 05-04-2005 at 04:34 AM.

Lightbulb Disk Warrior

Disk Warrior does *not* work with 10.4. I have been running ADC seeds for quite some time and had to call Alsoft about the issues I was having getting Disk Warrior to work with the partition that I had Tiger installed on, and tech support there confirmed that DW doesn't work with partitions that have Tiger installed on them.

Update:
    We've now received official word from Alsoft about Tiger compatibility. A representative writes:

"The current version of DiskWarrior (3.0.2) will not cause any harm when run on a disk with Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger) installed. Of course, it is always recommended that you rebuild your directory before doing any operating system install, especially a major upgrade such as 10.3.x to 10.4.x.

"In many instances DiskWarrior will rebuild the Tiger directory successfully. In certain configurations, DiskWarrior will return the message: 'This disk appears to have a newer version of the Mac OS disk format than this version of DiskWarrior.' Older versions of DiskWarrior may simply indicate that the disk cannot be repaired.

"We have addressed the Tiger-specific issues and will have more information once Mac OS X 10.4 is officially released. Please check our website after the coming weekend.
    Update #2:
    Alsoft announces DiskWarrior 3.0.3/Notes on v3.0.2 w/Tiger

"The new DiskWarrior 3.0.3 supports Tiger's new Access Control Lists (ACL) and extended file attributes. It has improved journaling support and enhanced RAID support, including the new concatenated RAID volumes.

DiskWarrior 3.0.3 will be available in just a few days during the first week of May as a FREE update to owners of DiskWarrior 3.0.x. Customers should return to this web page, download the update and use it to create and burn a new DiskWarrior CD containing the updated application..."
    http://www.alsoftinc.com/DiskWarrior/support.html#Tiger
    Last edited by TZ; 04-29-2005 at 11:26 AM.

Lightbulb Now Contact

Now Up-to-Date and Contact and Tiger - Mac OS X 10.4 Support

Now Up-to-Date and Contact version 5 is in the final rounds of beta testing. Version 5 supports Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.4 ("Tiger") and will be available by June 2005.

The current shipping version, 4.5.3, is not Tiger compatible. We recommend that customers who rely on Now Up-to-Date and Contact wait until version 5 has been released before installing Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    Someone said that you now have to purchase any of the "iLife series" and that iPhoto etc aren't included, .
    Looks like iLife and so on is included in the Software loaded on the new G5 models. The below was copied from the Hardware, Specs page on the Apple site
    SoftwareMac OS X, Dashboard, Mail, Safari, iChat AV, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD and GarageBand), iCal, DVD Player, Classic environment, Art Directors Toolkit X, GraphicConverter, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, QuickBooks New User Edition, Zinio Reader, Xcode Developer Tools

CB
    It's a nice nose! I like it! It's chewy!!

Lightbulb iLife

iLife is part of what you get when purchasing from Apple, even if it is on the Specials page. Just don't expect Tiger to have those, so... for this thread... if you wipe your drive before installing, you may need to reinstall or restore those iApps.

Not really what works or broken, just that Panther did include iPhoto etc.

Default Adaptec 39160 10.3.9

I know this goes in the "10.3.x thread" but I thought it worth noting, that 10.3.9 'broke' Adaptec 39160 I think. Can no longer verify, repair and file copies would fail if I tried to initiate 2 copies at once.

Also had a folder that showd 17TB! on a 34GB drive

Lightbulb Case-sensitive HFS+?

Maybe a no-no? (see MacFixit Troubleshooting today)

Mac OS X Server 10.3 allows you to use the Case Sensitive/Journaled file system for data volumes. It is not intended for use on startup disks.

If you format a volume as Case Sensitive/Journaled and try to install Mac OS X Server on it, the Installer will tell you that you can't install on the selected volume until settings are changed.

When you need to use the Case Sensitive/Journaled file system, you should partition the server's hard disk (or use multiple hard disks). Put case sensitive items on a Case Sensitive/Journaled volume, and install Mac OS X Server on a volume that is not case sensitive.

Examples of reasons to use the Case Sensitive/Journaled file system are:

When hosting (non-boot) data volumes containing case sensitive files
    As a higher performance alternative to UFS
    Situations where you need a file system that supports case sensitivity and journaling
    When you need to use case sensitive volumes larger than 1 TB (UFS supports volumes up to 1 TB ; HFS Plus supports volumes up to 16 TB)
    Situations where you have legacy UNIX applications and scripts that require or were only designed for case sensitive file systems

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107863
    Last edited by TZ; 04-27-2005 at 03:18 PM.

Lightbulb Retrospect Tiger compatibility

Dantz Retrospect

Dantz (now part of EMC) has posted a Retrospect Tiger compatibility statement:

During the first week of May EMC Dantz will provide free downloadable updates for Retrospect 6.0 for Macintosh customers that supports Apple's newly announced Mac OS X Tiger operating system. This new of versions of Retrospect, Retrospect Express, and Retrospect Client are REQUIRED for all customers who move to the new Mac OS X Tiger operating system. Prior releases of Retrospect must not be used on Mac OS X Tiger.

A future release of Retrospect, which is currently being developed, will add support for two new file system-related features of Mac OS X Tiger: extended Metadata and Access Control Lists (ACLs). This release of Retrospect will also be free to all Retrospect 6.0 customers.

Update:
    Dantz released Retrospect 6.0.212, a free update that provides Tiger compatibility for the backup software.

Dantz notes that this version is required for Mac OS X 10.4 and that it can be used to backup 6.0.110 clients running Tiger.

Extended Metadata and Access Control Lists will be suported in a future free update.

The release notes add:

Mac OS X Tiger introduces support for a new file system feature called metadata. Metadata is used by Spotlight to enable fast searching for files based on user-defined tags on those files. Retrospect cannot back up or restore the Tiger specific metadata, though the contents of the files are backed up.
    Last edited by TZ; 05-04-2005 at 04:10 AM.

Lightbulb Tiger Mail

More than one person has had trouble with archive/install and Mail acting up.
    The only problem that I had doing the upgrade from Panther was with one of these "improved" applications. I did an "archive and install" upgrade, preserving my settings, but when I booted into Tiger and launched Mail, not only were my several years of organized messages not properly imported into the new version of Mail, the Mail application was sluggish and refused to quit when asked.

I was forced to trash the mail database and re-import my messages manually, from three different repositories, associated with different email accounts. Everything seems to be working well now, and it's probably a result of my convoluted setup with five years of archived mail that had been imported from Entourage a while back.

The new Mail version has a new look, and a bunch of new features, apparently, but none that I need or use.