Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting Tiger

Lightbulb Mail 2.0 - Tiger Cache Cleaner fix

There are too many various issues with Mail to go into but this one looked worth noting.
    I've had a reoccurring problem which David Hassel reported as plaguing him. Mail 2.0 will not reply, forward or send messages after upgrading. This issue comes out of the blue where Mail works fine at first...then becomes unusable. It will receive only messages.

I tried everything...rebuilding...re-installing...dumping prefs and third party extensions. The problem has occurred 3 times this week and on the 3rd time I finally found a way to eliminate the symptoms right away and get my mail running smoothly again. Just clean the system and user caches using Tiger Cache Cleaner and restart. The medium setting worked for me in that program, but a deep cleaning probably wouldn't hurt.

Tiger Cache Cleaner seems to do a better job there than Cocktail. TCC immediately corrected the problem while Cocktail failed to correct the problem and caused me to rule out this solution the first time around, resulting in a few hours of fruitless troubleshooting.

I suspect Spell Catcher here as being a possible source of the conflict but have yet to recreate the symptoms again...and really don't care to ...having a working Mail app is crucial to my existence.

Lightbulb Tiger Guide in FAQ

Guide to Tiger will have additional updates and references.

Lightbulb Upgrade

I spent more time backing up, burning a DVD copy, and then restoring the DVD to disk drive. Installed booted from disk drive and took... under 10 minutes. Literally.

The install flew updating my 10.3.9 system. I think part of that is because it is a 15K drive.

Optimizing use to take quite a while. I think I did a fresh clone to this drive days before Tiger was to ship (but only got it today).

Have already disabled Spotlight after turning it off from all drives, used Tiger Cache Cleaner to do so (3.02) even before the Setup Assistant (which I quit).

In fact, on first login, even OmniWeb launched (one of the items in Startup Items list).

So that is very first impression. Mail is more worrisome. - Good news is that I left my system with /Users on another drive, no problem. And all 4500 email messages and rules got updated and working without trouble. And, I like Mail 2.0's look and feel.

Default browser had to be switched back to OmniWeb, but that's about it.

I hadn't 'planned' to see if having /Users on another drive would be a problem... glad I left things alone. Definitely recommend Update method as long as you've carefully maintained everything.
    Last edited by TZ; 05-16-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Lightbulb About 10.4.1

I posted what's new in 10.4.1 OS X 10.4.1 Updater

So far so good.

Making backup of Tiger and Users.

Later, to test some Apple RAIDs with 10.4.1 and Disk Warrior.

Default Glitch in Tiger?

I made a strange discovery today.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed it or can reproduce it.

Turn on "Show Item Info" under View/Preferences (which shows the number of items in any folders sitting on the Desktop.

Pick a stuffit file/archive. Uncompress it on the desktop.

On my machines this results in an empty folder even though the archived folder has dozen of items.

If you drop a file within the new "empty" folder magically any files that should have been there suddenly appear.

It also affects files copied across a network. If you copy a folder from another computer to your desktop it shows up being empty.

Drop an item in the folder (or reboot your computer) and the files suddenly appear.

Turning of "Show Item Info" makes the problem go away.

I tried this on three machines with Tiger and it acts the same on each.

did you upgrade in place and have stuffit 8.02 or preferably 9.01 already? A clean install doesn't include stuffit. you have to do so yourself.

the "problem' is that Tiger uses a link when copying to dmg images and copies the file during burn process but not when you drag a file or folder.

so yes, i have read or heard about part of it, but not in regards to stuffit.

Lightbulb Mac OS X Update 10.4.3

What's new in this version:

Finder and Spotlight

* Improves responsiveness during Spotlight searches in the Finder.
    * Spotlight comments entered in the Finder are now preserved when using iDisk syncing.
    * Get Info windows correctly display non-Roman language versions and copyright strings.
    * Improves the alert that appears when replacing an item during a copy when the capitalization of the items' names is the only difference.
    * Permissions for items inside packages are now correctly set when applying permission changes to enclosed items in the Finder Info window.
    * Items copied into a Drop Box have permissions set correctly.
    * Addresses an issue in which Spotlight cannot find a file after using iPhoto to rename it if the filename originally contained an ampersand (&).
    * The Spotlight image indexer now uses the "Software" TIFF property to support graphics rendering and image editing applications that use this property.

Safari, Internet, and networking

* Safari can now pass the "Acid2" test.
    * Improves compatibility of Safari with many webcams.
    * Improves the handling of Hebrew and Arabic text in Safari and Mail.
    * Improves compatibility for OpenGL-accelerated Macromedia Shockwave 3D webpage content when using Safari.
    * Addresses an issue in which an SMB volume might not mount again after it's unmounted.
    * Addresses some issues in which the Finder might not be able to connect to an SMB volume.
    * Bluetooth Setup Assistant now lets you toggle the Modem menu extra on or off (you can also use System Preferences).
    * Resolves an issue in which Internet Connect wouldn't connect to a dial-up ISP if the account password contained a double-quote (") character.
    * Improves compatibility with Squid proxy servers.

Syncing

* With this update, you no longer need to store Address Book contact URLs in the Notes field when syncing with .Mac.
    * Mac sync error alerts now provide a better description of the issue (for more details about a .Mac sync error, see the dotmacsync.log file).
    * Allows your Address Book contacts that are organized in subgroups to be synced to an iPod using iTunes.

Mail

* Addresses an issue in which Mail might prompt you to download items attached to an IMAP email message more than once.
    * In the Fonts & Colors preferences in Mail, you can now customize the font used in the list of Mailbox names.
    * Smart Mailboxes that use "Entire Message Contains" and another criteria with the "any" qualifier now work as expected.
    * Smart Groups of addresses can now be dragged from Address Book to a message's To, Cc, or Bcc field.
    * The number of messages in a Smart Mailbox are now displayed in the title bar.
    * Pressing Tab while composing a Mail message now inserts a tab character, instead of four spaces.
    * Accounts created in Mail after installing this update will avoid an issue in which .Mac mail could not be sent if the Internet Service Provider blocks port 25.
    * Reduces the amount of blank lines Mail might insert into a message when forwarding or replying to it.
    * Addresses an issue in which some Mail rules could be lost or duplicated after a .Mac sync.
    * Addresses in the "To:", "Cc:", "Bcc:" fields, as well as the Accounts pop-up menu, no longer appear in red if the address is in a different lettercase than what is entered in the "Mark addresses not in the domain" field; for example, "Mac@MAC.Com" will no longer be marked in red if the "Mark addresses not in the domain" field contains "mac.com."
    * Searches of "All Mailboxes" can now, optionally, include items from Junk and Trash.
    * Resolves an issue in which meeting requests sent from Microsoft Outlook to an Exchange account in Mail might not appear.

iChat
    * iChat preferences now allow you to display emoticons (such as a smiley face) as text (such as " :-) ") instead of as a graphic.
    * Resolves an issue in Activity Monitor in which you might see "iChatAgent (Not Responding)" in red text, even though iChat works just fine.
    * Addresses a "No data has been received for the last 10 seconds" alert that could often appear when participating in a video chat in iChat with someone using AIM on a PC.
    * .Mac members can enable encrypted chat sessions after installing this update.
    * Further addresses potential causes of persistent "insufficient bandwidth" alerts.

Other applications

* Disk Utility can verify the Mac OS X 10.4 startup volume with this update.
    * Many improvements for Calculator are included, such as: A black triangle icon no longer appears below "Infinity." Calculator now filters out unusable characters when pasting from the Clipboard, certain "rounding error" issues are addressed, and other issues.
    * Addresses an issue in which iCal could not publish or subscribe to a secure URL if your password contained a question mark (?).
    * Addresses an issue in which Preview might only print the first page of a multipage TIFF document.
    * Keychain Access searching is no longer case-sensitive after installing this update.
    * This update allows Keychain Access to directly import .pkcs12 files.
    * X11 windows no longer stay in the background after selecting the X11 application from the Dock or with Application Switcher.

Other

* Software Update now lets you know when only ignored (hidden) updates are available for installation.
    * Addresses an issue in which incoming faxes are saved as "from unknown" PDF files.
    * Addresses an issue in which some Traditional Chinese input methods, such as Pinyin, limit the number of candidate characters presented in the candidate window.
    * Resolves an issue for Palm Desktop software in which the Command-Q keyboard shortcut would sometimes not quit the application unless it was pressed a second time.
    * Improves compatibility with Microsoft IntelliPoint mouse modifier clicking; that is, mouse buttons configured to act as a Control-click or Command-click, for example.
    * Improves window scrolling when dragging an item into a window that's viewed as a list, where not all of the list is visible.
    * Improves compatibility with Microsoft Word and Excel 2004, addressing an issue in which the application could stop responding for several seconds.
    * Addresses an issue in which cases and/or specific user conversion dictionaries could be disabled after upgrading to Tiger.
    * Addresses performance issues affecting three AppleScript commands: do shell script, system info, and delay.
    * The Core Data framework has been updated to improve relationship management issues, resolve issues with data migration, improve Undo and Redo commands, and improve insertion performance.
    * Resolves a potential redraw issue in which an application window's scroll bars could appear in the wrong place.
    * Allows Apple Wireless Keyboards to work in single-user mode.
    * Addresses an issue in which high ASCII characters in a password could lead to a blue screen at startup, or prevent log in.
    * MS-DOS-formatted volumes, including the iPod Shuffle, perform better and consistently mount (become available) in the Finder.
    * Improves results when printing to an optional envelope feeder on some printers.
    * Disables Quartz 2D Extreme—Quartz 2D Extreme is not a supported feature in Tiger, and re-enabling it may lead to video redraw issues or kernel panics.

* Includes previous standalone security updates.
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...pdate1043.html
    Last edited by TZ; 11-01-2005 at 06:59 AM.

Default OS X 10.4.3 Updates are out!

Mac OS X 10.4.3 Update (incremental from 10.4.2), 97MB.

Mac OS X 10.4.3 Combo Update
    , 109MB.

-------
    Also for Server:

Mac OS X 10.4.3 Server Update (incremental from Server 10.4.2), 118MB.

Mac OS 10.4.3 Server Combo Update, 130MB.

-------
    Went for the 10.4.3 Combo -- not much difference in size for these downloads. Installed without a hitch on the DA.

Lightbulb 10.4.3 native DL iDVD 5 support w/DVR-109

From Accelerate Your Mac News 1/11/2005:

10.4.3 adds native Dual Layer iDVD 5 Project support w/DVR-109 - I'd heard rumors that 10.4.3 would add native iDVD 5.0.1 Dual Layer (8GB) Project support for Pioneer DVR-109 drives (even those w/o apple firmware)
    Last edited by eric; 11-01-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Rolleyes 10.4.3 combo

2.5KB/sec. 10hrs 25mins give or take a few. My wunnerful dial-up. Should'nt complain, but glad that's over frankly!!

CB
    It's a nice nose! I like it! It's chewy!!

Lightbulb

Chris,

Apple needs to offer these on CD. Heck, I'll bet someone could FedEx it over-night rather than burn up the phone line like that! (Hate to see a power outage or something take you down.)
    Now that you have it, probably nice to burn a copy "for safe keeping" as well.

Apple needs to offer these on CD.
    Remember back in the day when magazines like MacUser and MacWorld could stick the OS updates on the the included CDs?

Apple apparently killed this practice. But for still makes for rough going for those without easy access to broadband. Still if Apple made them available that would be good. Heck they might even make a bit off their steep shipping charges -- I remember paying $20 shipping for the free 10.1 update CDs. Back then I wanted a full 9.2.1 install CD which only could be had by aquiring the free CDs from Apple (not from the free packages available to authorized resellers).

Default Mon Frere

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    Chris,
    Apple needs to offer these on CD. Heck, I'll bet someone could FedEx it over-night rather than burn up the phone line like that! (Hate to see a power outage or something take you down.)
    Now that you have it, probably nice to burn a copy "for safe keeping" as well.
    Make that 2 Copies!! Since this is the hotrod Sawtooth, I put one copy on a Zip disk, and burned one to a CD-R for use on a more contemporary machine!! I usually go for the Delta for all the obvious reasons. The by now legendary Loma Mar 'noisy' phone lines have meant that downloads occasionaly won't mount (hope that's the right way to put it). I remember downloading 10.3.9 twice. I thought I might try bribing one of the Apple Geniuses at the Palo Alto store to burn a copy onto a CD, but it turned out OK. Phew!! Now to see what it does.

CB

Exclamation Yikes.

Just checked and repaired permissions. I swear I haven't seen so many line items, 'special' permisions and necessary repairs before. Anyone else seeing this? I'd copy them in here but there are a TON of 'em.

CB

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Billington
    Just checked and repaired permissions. I swear I haven't seen so many line items, 'special' permisions and necessary repairs before. Anyone else seeing this? I'd copy them in here but there are a TON of 'em.

CB
    Chris,

yep, quite a lot .

Seems to be normal.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Me too. k

Lightbulb Verifying a live boot volume

10.4.3 Disk Utility: Live Verify

If you want to see A LOT of permission repairs, forget to turn off Ignore Ownership before cloning, then fix it. Every file, and application packages can have a huge number files!

Lightbulb

You can no longer verify or repair 10.4.3 volumes from 10.4.2 or earlier versions of Disk Utility. - that to me spells, don't use or trust 3rd party utilities either.

MicroMat says that they test TTP 4.0.6 with the latest Dev versions of 10.4.3 and didn't find any problems. No idea about Alsoft and Disk Warrior, but they were having problems already, mostly with SoftRAID 3.2, but may not limited to just that.

What I did was update and clone a variety of drives. I just wish I could "update" the Tiger DVD, and may have a way around that.

I'm even waiting to hear if Applejack is safe, because it just invokes fsck, or if it needs an update, too.

Default Thanks for the tipoff TZ

I do have Applejack on my machine. Do you hear if Cocktail is OK too? I'm at work up to my neck in nonsense right now, or I would open the Cocktail app and have it check for updates. Maybe get some idea from that.

CB

Rolleyes 10.4.3 and 3rd party Utlities.

Ran backups last evening, and then Cocktail 'Pilot' sequence as I have been doing weekly. Shut down/restart seemed disturbed. Took longer; items on the desktop disappeared in a distinct sequence rather than (pretty much) simultaneously for example. I didn't find any evidence of lost data. Cocktail update inquiry returned the result that I was using the most up to date version for 10.4.3 so I mailed feedback on the situation, and asked if an update was pending. I like this App, it's very easy to use and (so far) has been very reliable. This morning I re-installed the 10.4.3 Combo and everything looks to be back to normal.
    CB