Thread: Help - Suddenly very s-l-o-w G4

Default Help - Suddenly very s-l-o-w G4

Everything suddenly seems to be running in super slow motion. Startup has been taking a little longer since I added 2 SATAs. An old ATA in still in the case also. I was going to look into that, but now everything suddenly seems VERY slow. I log in and the wallpaper and dock come up right away, but then it takes about 5 minutes for the upper menu bar, and icons to paint. Starting a browser is pretty quick, but network access seems super slow too (Linux box on same network has no prob). Any suggestions? TIA.

frankB

Follow the Guide to Storage Performance.

Your fastest drive with just OS/Apps.
    /Users on 2nd drive.
    Enough RAM = 1GB+.
    Maintenance. Daily run cron scripts.
    Disk Warrior.
    There are a number of tips and articles in Troubleshooting - one in particular deals with slow login problem fix.
    10.3.6+ seems to require manually entering primary/secondary DNS IP address in Network settings.
    Upgrade your router's firmware sometimes.
    Do use router's firewall, and maybe software. Even network intrusion (SNORT) on your broadband.

There really are too many things that "might" go wrong. Which is why it is good to clone your system as soon as possible, and before any update/installs you make.

You don't say which drive you boot from. Adding a controller of any type adds to searching for bootable systems, and mounting drives. It could be the directory of one drive has even minor corruption. Or bad blocks.

Thanks. I ran the scripts, and things seem much better now. At least it's very workable. I still have a slower startup than before I upgraded. Does the SATA controller need some extra time?

Config:
    Seritek 1S2
    WD 120GB /applications and os
    WD 250GB /users
    Maxtor 120Gb ATA drive - old system drive to be used for backup
    768 Mb memory

Seems like the machine is sometimes waiting for drives to spin up. I wonder if I'd benefit from taking the ATA drive out. TIA.

Lightbulb

Boot time - once a day? once a week? only when installing software that requires a restart?

A controller adds time needed to search for any/all available boot drives, volumes to mount, and to inspect if it was shutdown cleanly.

There are tips on how to reduce login stalls etc which affected 10.3.5+ as well as networking startup and search for servers, file sharing, etc.

more RAM (1.2GB+) lets the system load and keep more in memory and proves to be more efficient. OS X uses memory dynamically - give it more, it will cache windows, applications, volumes, disk writes.

I find that the system runs better when it is used, maintained. But when I install or clone a system, I put a 4GB "paper weight" in first, then pull it when done, which acts to move the most recent changes to the front.

As long as you have 30GB free and 40-50GB boot volume, you should be fine.

frankB,

I have a very long boot time with my GigaMDD and the reason is the controller cards as TZ states. I currently have an ATTO UL3D 33MHz, an Acard 6885M 4-channel PATA, a combo USB2 and FW800 card, and so on. The startup must poll all of those controllers as well as the mobo FW and USB and ATA buses (in my case the SuperDrive and Combo Drive bus as well as the ATA/66 and ATA/100 buses). All of that makes for a very long spinning gear. Once the splash screen starts, it is very short to the desktop. k

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the help. The BIG factor was definitely running all the scripts. I used MacJanitor. I'm sure they'd not been run since I set up the system. Frustration was getting to point of buying a G5... gee, maybe you shouldn't have helped me ;-)

I tried disabling the ATA drive, but no impact on startup. It's just longer now. I boot about once a day. Maybe 75% longer than before, which is no big deal. Still half the time of my work laptop with Windows 2000. I also have added an Adaptec USB2 card at the same time, so I understand now that it has an impact on startup too.

I try some searching now to look for the other tips TZ mentioned. Thank you both very much!

I've got a SeriTek 1S2 in a Giga-boosted Digital Audio and haven't found it to be slow to boot at all. OTOH, the RAM is maxed out, I leave the machine up for weeks at a time, and generally boot only for new OS updates or hardware configuration changes.

Default Check fonts

One of the areas that can cause slow startup - as well as other problems - is fonts, both OS X (especially postscript) but also, the system checks the OS 9/Classic system folder. (you may have selected to use your home folder for Classic preferences which would copy fonts there).

10.3.6 introduced a problem with fonts loading, which seems to be corrected in 10.3.9.