Thread: Legacy machine/os - strange issues

Default Legacy machine/os - strange issues

Greetings. I've got a strange one here. I have an old 8100 machine which hasn't been turned on in many months, although it has remained connected to power. It has OS 8.1 installed. Suddenly, it just powered itself up.. I was no where near it. I let it boot, checked to see if any apps were running, and there were none. I selected Shutdown, and the monitor went "almost" dark, but still had a slight glow to it, and the fan continued to run. Tried holding the reset switch, but it did nothing. Unplugged it from the wall and let it sit, then plugged it back in and the fan immediately started running again. What is going on with this thing??

The only physical connection from this machine to anything else in the house is the AC cord plugged in to the wall.. not connected to any network, not even to a phone line. The best I remember, OS 8.1 doesn't give me any access to any sort of system log which I could check, does it?

Anyone have any tips for me to try?

Cheers.
    jb
    Professional Mixing Services

Dual 1GB G4 MDD / 1GB RAM / OS 10.4.11 / UAD-1 / MOTU 1296 + 2408MKii on PCI-424 / MTP-AV / Acard RAID / LogicPro 7.2.3 / LogicControl / DSP-Quattro 2 / ProTools LE 6.9.2 / TriToneDigital's HydraTone, ValveTone, PhaseTone, ColorTonePro, AngelTone / ElementalAudio's complete line / U-he's Zebra2, Filterscape, MfM2

battery is low?
    Reset PRAM?

Maybe a voltage fluctuation... ?

Thanks for the reply TZ. Sure.. it could be anything. After all, the machine is what.. at least ten years old, and I've never replaced the battery. I never use this machine any longer.. just kept it around thinking that someone might need a machine with Nu-Bus slots one day. Haha.. Guess I don't need to hang on to it after all, do I? Anybody want to buy a slightly used Nu-Bus machine?? I think I can safely toss this one on the junk heap, finally.

Cheers.
    jb
    Professional Mixing Services

Dual 1GB G4 MDD / 1GB RAM / OS 10.4.11 / UAD-1 / MOTU 1296 + 2408MKii on PCI-424 / MTP-AV / Acard RAID / LogicPro 7.2.3 / LogicControl / DSP-Quattro 2 / ProTools LE 6.9.2 / TriToneDigital's HydraTone, ValveTone, PhaseTone, ColorTonePro, AngelTone / ElementalAudio's complete line / U-he's Zebra2, Filterscape, MfM2

Default Legacy machine

jb,

I had a cat step on the start key on the keyboard once! But that doesn't explain your 8100 still being on after unplugging. While it is very old it might still be useful. If there is any kind of recycle program in your area consider donating it.

Chuck