Thread: old monitor

Default old monitor

Hi all,

I have an old SuperMatch 20 monitor that I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep. It hasn't been used for a few years. The date on the back is 1994. It is the SuperMac (Umax?) model THZ8175. Right now it is connected to my old Quadra 950. It seems to be working ok except that there is a greenish tinge to everything. I can tolerate that as I'm not doing any graphics work on it. What I'm wondering is if there is any way to adjust it, preferably without opening the case. I've done a lot of searching but support for that old beast is non-existant. MonitorWorld had some specs and info on cables but that is all I can find. The Quadra is running OS 8.1 and using the onboard video.

Thanks,
    Chuck

If it is a "light greenish touch" you can use Knoll Gamma (if you have an older PhotoShop version it was bundled with) to correct it.

Man, long ago since I was using 8.1.

I am not sure if this was build-in 8.1 or 8.6 but, maybe you can fix it using the monitor controllpanel and ColorSync?

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

The greenish screen syndrome is usually defect in which the leads for the three color guns are cold-soldered. ( Eventually one or more of these connections fails and that color disappears, giving the screen a blue or green or red tint.)
    And unfortunatly the problem will probably get worse over time.
    Repair is probably well over the cost of a new monitor.

Dave

Thanks for the responses. I'll check into adjusting the monitor through Photoshop. I have version 3 on the Quadra. I also remember a control panel adjustment but that seems to be for PCI Macs, not the 68k machines. As far as anything inside failing, you are right Macaholic. The bench charge alone would probably get me well on the way to a new monitor. I only keep the machine for a couple of old programs I don't use enough to justify upgrading. And sometimes I just like to play with the old stuff. For the time being I'll hang on to a 16" Apple monitor in case the 20" gets too far gone.

Thanks guys!

I saw the green condition on several SVGA monitors in the days of my quadra 650. One of the culpirts besides the monitor itself, was the adapter to go from mac video to SVGA. Don't know if you're using one of those or not with the monitor you mention, but if you are... it might be worth swapping out or trying the monitor connected directly to a SVGA video port.

tachyon Guest

agree with 7500bob, it could be a sync problem. Some monitors Use Sync On Green, which means they use the Green signal to make sense of what the host computer is sending to them.

If this is the case, get the right adapter and voila! Color is back to normal.

Default old monitor

7500bob & Tachyon

This monitor requires a special cable. It has the Mac DB15 on one end and a 13W3 connector on the other. Check out www.monitorworld.com for a diagram if my description isn't very good. The 13W3 has 10 pins and 3 larger (about 1/8" diameter) contacts. On the back of the monitor next to the cable connection is a switch with 3 positions: seperate horizontal & vertical, composite h & v and sync on green. It was in the seperate position but I will try sync on green the next time I fire it up.

BTW-for Nicholas-I tried Knoll Gamma and it seems to help but may need more tweaking. I've never used it before so it may take a while to figure it out.

More later if I come up with anything. Also, I gotta remember to check back more often.

Default update

Hi all,

Finally had a chance to try the new switch setting. Everything is cool! The "sync on green" setting did the trick. Maybe a different computer and/or video card would like one of the others but the Quadra prefers otherwise. Of course I had to go back to Knoll Gamma and change back to the defaults 'cause now I had a slight reddish tint! Alls well that ends well.
    Thanks for the tips and ideas,
    Chuck

Cool Chuck,
    Glad I was wrong. HAHa
    Thanks for the reply.

Dave