Thread: iMac has lost external sound controls

Confused iMac has lost external sound controls

I've just upgraded an iMac DV 400MHz with a new hard drive and RAM. The hard drive has a fresh install of OSX 10.3.8.

There is no longer any external sound control options except for Headphones.

System Preferences>Sound>Output
    compared to the setting on my G5 there is:
    No Line Out for the Built-in Audio
    No Digital Out for the Optical digital-out port
    The only option is one for Headphones (which i don't see on my G5?)

I opened up the iMac and swapped the drive again to no change in the sound controls leading me to think i've dislodged some wire or connection.

I cannot see anything loose. I cannot tell where to find any cabling for sound to inspect that specifically. Any links to any technical manual of the iMac innards?

Or any other leads would be welcome.

Question

Howdy,

Not aware of any specific cables or hardware for sound output other than headphone jack...

Just checked a coworker's slotloader running 10.3.3 and there is no sound out listed (other than the internal speakers). What is that you are looking for exactly? I would think your imac would only see other sound output devices (USB or FW) if they are plugged in...no?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default no external sound through speakers

Basically I'm not getting any external output sound.

Not through the internal speakers nor when connecting speakers to the external sound port.

The only option I have right now for sound output is Headphones, on a working iMac are there any other options listed? (I do not have headphones to check out this option.)

If there is then obviously that would be a problem for me. I did try 2 different drives with 10.3.8 so I would presume its not a software issue as both only had Headphone option and none other available.

A side note: as far as jostling things inside I've just noticed my upper USB connection port is not operational. Not sure if that happened during the upgrade as this is a hand me down computer.

Gotcha.

Well, we have cracked dozens (hundreds?) of imacs, some of which have seen exteme abuse, but never seen that. Sounds like you have tracked the wires to be sure nothing is loose....not sure what esle to do.

Now to dig up a Service Manual...
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I can send the Service Source PDF if your interested
    ahhh look here
    http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html#pbks

Dave

Ahhh...that's the ticket!

Thanks Mac!

Default post surgery report - can't get to audio cable

I downloaded the manual and have been pouring over it. The audio cable looks like an octopus with 6 connectors for headphones, speakers, microphone, LED, and power supply. Its a bit difficult to tell where the cable is located and where it connects to.

I've opened up the case, removed the heat shield, checked all the cables on this level and then removed the circuit board. But there are no more cables on this level to check, the audio cable in the manual looked like it might have been on this level but there is nothing.

I've stopped at this level because I can't figure out how to go any further. And besides it doesn't seem reasonable that anything would have been disconnected any deeper as a result of the hard drive upgrade.

The iMac DV SE is pretty clean when opening up and easy to upgrade the hard drive uplike earlier iMacs. There are very few cable connections to disrupt, I've checked them all for a secure connection, all seem to be snug. Can't think of anything else to check.

Hate the idea of having to take into a tech repair shop but I don't know what else to do at this point.

Well, I happen to have a couple slot loaders in various stages of assembly, so I took a look at audio cabling.

Here is the cabling comin up from the speakers (two twisted pair coming up from the lower right hand corner) to the main plug that joins the upper PAV board to the logic board with the CRT out:

And here is the same plug with the CRT in place (PAV board is on top, logic board would plug in underneath):

...And here is the same plug as it looks with some of the plastic case still on, and the logic board still connected, although you really can't see it at this angle (notice the heat sink sticking straight down):

Not sure this is any help, but as the speaker wires trace back to this plug, I would think you would need to verify that this plug is firmly seated, and that all of the wires on both sides are seated as well...

If not wiring, what's left? Logic board/audio board issue?
    Last edited by unclemac; 04-02-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Oops, where'd my pics go? have to fix that...

That's better.
    Last edited by unclemac; 04-02-2005 at 04:44 PM.

Default UncleMac - stop teasing me...need the pics!

Looking forward to your accompanying pics when you have the chance. Can't quite make sense out of your textual explanation.

Lightbulb

Can you see me now?

I thought it was a problem on my side.
    Nice pics
    Can you hear me now?

Dave

Default Giving Little Snitch the OK

Unclemac,

Now that i have your pictures I may endeavor another attempt to track down a loose connection somewhere. Although my last effort left behind to unused screws as i reassembled the case, maybe i'll find where they belong next time in!

Thanks again for the pics. I love digital cameras!
    Last edited by unclemac; 04-04-2005 at 08:14 AM. Reason: remove details.

Happy to help. I removed the domain you had to bless (intersting that you had to add it...). No big deal, I am just parinoid.

A couple thoughts....

Seems like at this point you are down to a wiring problem, or it may be possible that there is a problems with the PAV (Power, Audio, Video) board.

If you check/recheck your cables, I don't really know what is next. If a component is bad on the PAV board, not sure how to troubleshoot it. I am Apple's approach is to simpply replace the board, bit that may be too pricey, depending on what you can find. The last time I shopped a PAV for slot loader they were like $150 for a used one, but hopefully they are much cheaper now.

About all I can offer at this point is more pics if you need them.

Good luck, and keep us posted.