Thread: Firmware won't update to 4.4.8 Dual1.25 MDD

Default Firmware won't update to 4.4.8 Dual1.25 MDD

Hi,
    I have a dual 1.25 MDD FW 800 that ran fine for a year than started to kernel panic regularly (simple deadlock detection) (very short backtrace)
    Also the fans started to run FULL BLAST at all times. This was strange as I had not modified the system at all. The ram had been in there for over a year. I realized that I may have never updated the firmware so I checked the Apple site. My firmware was (is) 4.6.0f1 so I downloaded 4.8.8. I clicked the installer and it gave me a standard "install" dialogue box. I thought this was strange for a firmware update but I proceeded anyway as it did not say I was up to date, or say "you cannot install this update on this machine. It installed?..... showing me a status bar (as if it were installing software, than optimized, never prompting me to shut down the computer. It even said the software was installed successfully. It than said "your firmware version 4.6.0f1 is up to date with version 4.8.8........... (really?)
    I than rebooted and checked the boot rom version..... it was 4.6.0f1 still..
    I deleted the receipt and tried the install again.... still no go.
    I than started the updater..... manually shut down, than held the power button until I heard the long tone. It still did not work.....
    Any ideas?
    Thanks to all in advance
    SG

link to page the update came from?
    4.4.8 maybe?

I looked and don't see anything posted.

sprained my hand so not much for typing this week...

SG,

Welcome to the MacGurus Forums. I have an MDD DP FW400 dual boot but it is partially disassembled at the moment while I install and test a new fan. I don't recall a firmware update in OSX. There was one in OS9.2.2. Nor can I find a 4.8.8 firmware updater. Looking here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117 I don't see any for MDDs. That table shows a last Date Modified: October 06, 2004. Can you provide a link to the page descriptor for the download? k

Agreed - no update for MDDs according to the chart.

On to other KP troubleshooting?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I can remember there was an Firmware update to 4.4.8f2 for the FW400 MDD's never saw any FW updates again.

MDD Dual 1GHz FW400
    Boot-ROM-Version: 4.4.8f2

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Lightbulb

Search: "4.4.8"

"Power Mac G4 Firmware Update: Information and Download"

The Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.4.8 will run only on Power Mac G4 computers with Mirrored Drive Doors.

The Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.4.8 improves fan control behavior and reduces high speed fan cycling when running in Mac OS 9.

This version of the Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.4.8 is for versions of Mac OS X only, a Mac OS 9 only version is available on the web, or through software update.

Before you install the Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.4.8, read the instructions below. You may want to print them for reference.

1. Double-click the Power Mac G4 Firmware Updater icon.

Note: If a message says your firmware is up-to-date with version 4.4.8 of the Power Mac G4 Firmware Update, or that this version of the Power Mac G4 Firmware Updater will not run on this computer, then you do not need this update.

2. Follow the onscreen instructions. When prompted, click Shut Down in the dialog box to shut down your Power Mac G4. On Mac OS X, you will need to provide an Administrator password to authorize the update.

3. Press and hold in the Power button until you hear a long tone or see the Power button light flashing repeatedly.

Release the Power button when you hear the tone or see the Power button light flashing. The update starts automatically.

A status bar shows the progress of the update. When a message says your computer's firmware has been successfully updated to version 4.4.8, you are finished.

Note: If the instructions are displayed again, or a message says the update was not completed successfully, review the instructions and begin the update process again.

Power Mac G4 Firmware Update for Mac OS X: Information and Downoad
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120186

Lightbulb

As always in such cases, might want to do open firmware resets.
    check faq. also check the links for "hardware & software troubleshooting" as well as for kernel panics.

RAM can fail - 'bad ram' report is "interesting" reading - memtestosx is a good test. AND, run AHT. might want to contact Apple for newer copy 1.27+.

PS: here's hoping you always use UPS - 600W or better (APC RS1500 would be first choice, $189 @ Amazon).
    Last edited by TZ; 03-23-2005 at 02:19 PM.

Default Re: Power Mac G4 MDD (Mirrored Drive Doors) Firmware Update (2003

Power Mac G4 MDD (Mirrored Drive Doors) Firmware Update (2003)
    Firmware Version 4.4.8f2 (G4 PowerPC)

Mac OS 9.2.2:

Archived - Power Mac G4 Firmware Update: Information and Download
    [ https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1175 ]
    • Version: 1.0
    • Post Date: Jan 26, 2003
    • Download ID: DL1175
    • License: Update
    • File Size: 1.2 MB
    System Requirements
    • Mac OS 9.2.2
    • Power Mac G4 computers with Mirrored Drive Doors
    Supported Languages
    • English
    (snip)

OS X:

Archived - Power Mac G4 Firmware Update for Mac OS X: Information and Downoad
    [ https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1179 ]
    • Version: 1.0
    • Post Date: Jan 27, 2003
    • Download ID: DL1179
    • License: Update
    • File Size: 1.8 MB
    System Requirements
    • Mac OS X 10.2 or later
    • Power Mac G4 computers with Mirrored Drive Doors
    Supported Languages
    • Dansk, 繁體中文, Deutsch, English, Français, 日本語, Español, Italiano, Nederlands, Norsk Bokmål, Svensk, Suomi, Português Brasileiro, 简体中文, 한국어
    (snip)