Thread: Thinking about a "G5 Drive Bracket" and the 1V4

Default Thinking about a "G5 Drive Bracket" and the 1V4

This new 1V4 looks tastey... Especially with a G5 Drive Bracket... Anyone heard of these or seen them? (www.g5drivebracket.com). They look tempting. I would love to add an additional 3 drives to my dedicated recording dual 2.5. I think then I may add 4 WD 74GB raptors and then leave the 160GB seagate as my boot drive. But I am undecided on the bracket... which leaves me undecided about the 1V4. Because I do not know anyone who has tried the G5 Drive Bracket, I am hesitant to buy it in fear of potential cooling problems (?) therefore a four internal sata card does nothing for me in which case I would need the Sonnet for it's many external ports... unless there is a 4 port external piece for the 1V4.

Is there anyone who has tried the G5 drive bracket? If so, how did you situate the drive power? Jump off of the 2 internal? What about the third additional drive?

I am planning to really beef up this G5, adding a minimum of 3 GB of ram... either Macguru's or Crucial, this 1V4 and drive bracket would be amazing... I would at least add 2 74GB raptors in a raid0 and 2 added drives, maybe not raptors but big seagates (like 300GB) for transferring off of the raid nightly.

These mentioned upgrades, while not the fastest perhaps, like a scsi setup, but a nice leap for not a huge amount of money.... money is thin these days, too many upgrades to worry about (microphones/preamps etc) - after alot of thought, this seems a solid route if I could just get a bit of inside info.

Thanks!!!!!
    Eric
    =======================
    MacPro 1,1 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 10.5

It seems the PSU in the G5 is ample enough. But power splitters are not designed well for daisy-chaining.

Four Raptors? I'd go with external definitely. Shielded cables, own power supply, you aren't adding heat to the G5 with its sensors and fans.

StorageReview.com
    > Powering a large number of drives, How do you guys do it?
    http://forums.storagereview.net/inde...howtopic=19077

So, then if I go external, and I agree BTW - was just hoping for the possible scenerio, then I suppose I should go with the Sonnet? Or is there a 4 sata bracket for the 1V4?

Thanks for the info.
    =======================
    MacPro 1,1 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 10.5