Thread: Eudora 6.2.3 update won't let Tiger sleep?

Default Eudora 6.2.3 update won't let Tiger sleep?

I recently updated Eudora to the latest version, 6.2.3. Ever since doing that, my PowerBook won't sleep on its own.. I can put it to sleep with the menu command, but it will not sleep at the point where I have my Energy Saver prefs set to go to sleep, if Eudora is open. The monitor will sleep, but not the machine. If I simply quit Eudora, and leave the machine idle for 10 minutes, it goes to sleep.

All previous versions of Eudora would allow the computer to sleep, normally.

Does anyone know any particular Eudora x-setting I can change which might help here? I should note that Eudora is not now set (and has never been) to automatically check servers for mail. Might this have something to do with an ad-server timing setting (I run Eudora in 'Sponsored' mode)?

I found several posts on Qualcom's user forum for Eudora, where others have reported this same issue. The only 'fix' mentioned in any of those threads is to install something called SleepWatcher. I tend to not think of a third party app which alters System behavoir to be a real 'fix' for something which seems to obviously be an application-version specific issue.

I have repaired permissions after the Eudora update, but the problem still persists.

Any suggestions? Have others who use Eudora dealt with this already and found a solution?

Cheers.
    jb
    Professional Mixing Services

Dual 1GB G4 MDD / 1GB RAM / OS 10.4.11 / UAD-1 / MOTU 1296 + 2408MKii on PCI-424 / MTP-AV / Acard RAID / LogicPro 7.2.3 / LogicControl / DSP-Quattro 2 / ProTools LE 6.9.2 / TriToneDigital's HydraTone, ValveTone, PhaseTone, ColorTonePro, AngelTone / ElementalAudio's complete line / U-he's Zebra2, Filterscape, MfM2

Lightbulb

Leaving a mail client running while the computer sleep affects Apple Mail for some users as well. In fact, I would search MacIntouch and look for Tiger and sleep reader reports, or just "Eudora."

Some applications have a background task, even though you won't find anything in startupitems necessarily that gets loaded and triggers polling.

If the Configure pop-up menu in the TCP/IP control panel (Mac OS 9) is set to Using DHCP Server, your computer may not sleep when your Web browser or email application is open or a file server is mounted on your desktop. Quit these applications and unmount file servers when they are not being used. Important Information About System Sleep
    I would put this in the pet-peeve department rather than a real bug or problem. (It may be that Eudora/Qualcomm is actually doing something right, and the prior behavior of running while asleep wasn't desireable).

I use to use Eudora, bought 3.x, but then got tired of the upgrade 'fee' or the constant betas, and it never really looked or felt like it was working properly with OS X. It didn't like something about my Eudora Folder in Documents.

Now, Thunderbird seems to be an excellent alternative to me.

Eudora Mailbox Cleaner
    Last edited by TZ; 06-19-2006 at 11:13 AM.

TZ, thanks for the informative response. I've thought about moving to Thunderbird, and have experimented with it and indeed found it to be more elegant in some ways, but I'm just so used to Eudora's features that I don't even have to think about "how to's" with it.. especially in the area of multiple personalities for sending from different email accounts. I'd rather be able to stay with Eudora, if I can get this little thing ironed out.
    Professional Mixing Services

Dual 1GB G4 MDD / 1GB RAM / OS 10.4.11 / UAD-1 / MOTU 1296 + 2408MKii on PCI-424 / MTP-AV / Acard RAID / LogicPro 7.2.3 / LogicControl / DSP-Quattro 2 / ProTools LE 6.9.2 / TriToneDigital's HydraTone, ValveTone, PhaseTone, ColorTonePro, AngelTone / ElementalAudio's complete line / U-he's Zebra2, Filterscape, MfM2