Thread: Screw fell out of new G5

Default Screw fell out of new G5

So we unpacked a G5 today, and this screw was rattling around in the inner case. Does anyone know where it goes? I can't find anything missing .. . .

http://davidfosterphotography.com/screw.jpg

Thanks,

David

Default TWO screws fell out

We just tipped it back upright and another screw fell out.

The screws mount the processor and heat sink - nothing that you really need anyway. None of them were tight out of the box. We'll see how much better the machine does now that the processors are connected to the motherboard.

Wild.

So you think they were loose from day one when you bought the G5?

Hard to imagine that rough treatment of a box by UPS/Fedex would cause screws to back out...
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Exclamation Hmmm.

I'd be e-mailing or talking on the phone to whoever or whichever company it was I got that G5 from just in case there is an issue. Warranty and such. No harm in letting them know. But it would bother me.

CB
    Last edited by Chris Billington; 03-07-2005 at 08:40 PM. Reason: insert some colour.
    It's a nice nose! I like it! It's chewy!!

Yep, UPS and FedX are infamous for trashing a machine, but loose screws sounds like a factory problem.they are using torque controlled screw guns ( I imagine) and if the screw is not seated it will be loose. Quality Control ?

I got a good Apple rep to get an engineer to walk me through the process of taking the G5/G5 cover off and tightening down the screws. It seems that they were never screwed in or tightened from the factory.

It works fine now, although the machine's file at Apple indicates that the engineer allowed me to take the thing apart while he was on the phone, and it always smells like burning rubber when the fans kick on.

Exclamation David.

Do you live anyplace close to an Apple store where they have Apple Geniuses? This burning rubber smell needs to be investigated, and just because when I fork out a heap of money for anything, I am extremely intent on it being in absolutely perfect working condition. It just seems to me to be what you paid for. There is a warranty. These things are not inexpensive.

CB

Default Apologies

Sorry Chris, I was just joking about the burning rubber smell.

My wife doesn't think I'm funny either.

With apologies,

David

Talking

hehe hehe.....I hate when that happens!

I am not funny either. But then you all knew that already...
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Talking

CB

Lightbulb

I've heard of the 2nd SATA cable not being plugged into the mobo. Thought maybe it was one of the 'spare' screws that are included to lock 2nd drive in place.

If doctors can leave surgerical instruments in the patient - anything is possible.