Thread: G5 2.5 8x superdrive will burn only 4x!..???

Confused G5 2.5 8x superdrive will burn only 4x!..???

I have a new dual 2.5 gig mac with an 8x Hitachi oem superdrive. When I load my 8x ritek ridata 8x media, the drive options in both the finder and toast 5 shows only a 4x media burn option in the pull down setting. When I load 4x media, it only gives a 2x option. This media worked fine in my Pioneer 107 which was added to my qucksilver g4. I went through some q and a with applecare people, and they didn't know what was up. They didn't think it was the media like previous systems that needed apple branded expensive media. They finally want me to do an archive and install, which I would rather not do. I'm tempted to pull the Hitachi and put in my 107.

Thanks for any help!

Dave

Firmware update from Hitachi? Apple?
    PatchBurn 3?

Check the DVD Media FAQ site to see if they have any info?

Default oh...and

when I was on the line with the applecare folks, they had me do a motherboard reset switch and terminal reset. No change.

TZ...thanks for the reply...though it sounds like you're running the gamut of logical queries that I'll chase down if there is no easy personal experience answer coming down the pike....

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Looking here http://www.meritline.com/ritek-8x-dv...ia-discs1.html there is a compatibility chart down the page and I don't see Hitachi. k

Another thought but you will need the exact model number. Try the Hitachi website and see what media they recommend. k

Kaye...couldn't find the site...but found some interesting stuff on the apple forums.

http://discusssearch.info.apple.com/....1@.689bcacd/1

I've temporarily swapped out my Pioneer 107D...which is working fine for 8x. I'll probably try to badger apple until they send me a new one.

Thanks for the help.
    \
    Dave

A swap out looks like the only solution. The Hitachi seems to be crippled. Good link. k