Thread: Hosed system after 10.3.8 update

Default Hosed system after 10.3.8 update

I am writing this for a friend.

New G5, Dual 2.0. 1 gig ram.

1. I noticed that my firmware would not update for weeks.
    2. Thought the 10.3.8. update might fix it.
    3. After update, most programs quit, especially the ones I need, like utilities, onyx, disk warrior, etc. Only Word, Exploder, Quicktime, Realplayer and ITunes work.
    4. There is no clock in the menu bar.
    5. Can't start from original system disk (Kernal Panic)
    6. Tried a system on an Ipod...Kernal Panic
    7. Can't start from Disk Warrior (won't recognize disk)
    8. Apple support was no help. Nearest Apple Store a zillion miles away.

Bought new internal hardrive, but can't format without disk utility working.

Is there any way to do a software installation, disk repair, etc. ...over a network withough OSXServer?

Any ideas welcome!!!

Hello,

sounds like a RAM issue.

Take a look

I the RAM in your G5 all from Apple?

Bad RAM can do nearly anything from freezing the system while installing the system to application freeze right out of the blue.

Regards

Nicolas

Lightbulb

1. I noticed that my firmware would not update for weeks.
    They were trying to update the firmware on a new system? With what version etc?

There are dozens of things to run through with a check list.
    * reset nvram would be at the top, then try PMU reset if needed
    * walk through the Apple Hardware & Software Troubleshooting tech note
    * Mac OS X Won't Boot
    etc.
    * the FAQ I put together has dozens of items
    * 10.3.8 'broke' some things so make sure to check for updates.
    * Check "Latest Mac OS X 10.3.x Updates" - step one is... backup your system and files, run Disk Utility and Disk Warrior, Repair Permissions. (You can back up to another disk drive to a disk image even). Use the full combined update rather than the small "delta" update that Software Update provides.

Once you have a bootable system, backup, but also, create your own Emergency CD with any and all utilities on it.

BAD RAM can result in corrupt data and filesystem. It could be the RAM wasn't pushed into the slots tight enough (very tight fit) or were loose as a result of shipping?

Nicolas,
    Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas
    sounds like a RAM issue.
    Apple Hardware Test (extended) showed no RAM problems. It did show a "mass storage" problem, which is what I'd like to try to fix by running Disk Utility and DiskWarrior, if I could just get them to run, or boot from a system cd and run them from there.

On the Apple forums, someone suggested starting with Command+S and invoking the Unix command fsck. Any thoughts?

Lightbulb

I would pull the cable to the drive that doesn't work for now, and try to boot from CD and format your new drive and put a system on that. A corrupt drive directory can prevent booting from even a CD.

With any drive, you almost have to zero the drive when you first start to insure there are no bad blocks. Then fill the drive with anything you can that will force writing to every block and sector.

There are a couple ways to retrieve data from a drive that won't mount, such as DiscJockey or Data Rescue.

Do you have TTPro or Norton handy? Sometimes one works where another will not. And do you have a bootable DW 3.02 CD? Some people have had to create a custom CD if their system requires a newer OS than what was shipped.

fsck from www.osxfaq.com (I'm sure Apple has a tutorial also and would include information on journaling etc.) also, warning on using fsck with journaling running (Jaquar?), may be out of date...

Update: Apple: How to use Disk Utility and fsck
    Last edited by TZ; 03-02-2005 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    I would pull the cable to the drive that doesn't work for now, and try to boot from CD and format your new drive and put a system on that. A corrupt drive directory can prevent booting from even a CD.
    OK, I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    Do you have TTPro or Norton handy? Sometimes one works where another will not. And do you have a bootable DW 3.02 CD?
    No to TTPro and Norton, but yes to DW 3.02. Hopefully unplugging the drive will allow a boot from that disk.

Thanks for the suggestions and links!
    Brian