Thread: ATI 7500 graphics card problems

Confused ATI 7500 graphics card problems

The graphics on my G3 beige 233 Hhz (OS 9.1) is failing (resolution low, funny bluish windows, vertical lines in a box by the cursor), so I bought an ATI 7500 graphics card to use instead (thinking it would solve my problem). Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to configure it so that a monitor plugged into the ATI 7500 will see the normal part of my desktop. For some reason, it thinks it is configured as a second monitor, so it only shows what is off the screen to the right. Does anyone know how to configure the ATI 7500 so that it "sees" the normal desktop?

Hello,

welcome MacGurus Tech Forums.

I never heard of a ATI 7500 Macintosh Retail card.

Is it a flashed PC card?

For the PCI bus ATI has the Radeon Mac Edition (ME), Radeon 7000ME, Radeon 9200ME. A PC card will not work in the Mac (without modding or flashing the firmware)

Regards

Nicolas

It's a radeon card (PCI slot). Maybe it is a 7000 card. It is a Macintosh card (it came with instructions for installing, and with all of the extensions and control panels and such to install). I know that it is a Macintosh card. Maybe I have the number incorrect.

OK, do you have a "vga adapter" connected to the on-board video?
    If so, remove it and try again.

If it is not working,
    do a PRAM Reset by holding down APPLE+ALT+P+R right after you hear the Mac chimes, hold it down untill you hear the chime 3 times more.

Now, it should work.
    If not, there is something with your card.

Regards

Nicolas

I don't have a VGA adapter connected (not to the ATI card anyway). There are 2 connectors on the card, and one of them fit perfectly, so I used it. I assume that you are saying that I need to use the other one with an adapter (I have several of those adapters for other monitors, so no problem finding one).

I did try zapping the PRAM, but that didn't help. I'll try the adapter.

Hello,

what I meant was the original Mac-Video connector (Monitor Port) of your G3 as long as something is connected to this port all other video (installed PCI cards) is second display.

It is on the rear, besides the ethernet port.

Can you take a picture of the new ATI card?

Regards

Nicolas

Hello Nicholas,
    You are very helpful. Even when the monitor is NOT connected to the original Mac-video connector (Monitor port in your diagram), the ATI 7500 monitor still only displays off the screen (or to the right of the desktop - like a 2nd monitor would). Do I need to connect some sort of terminator to this Monitor port in order for it to not think something is connected there? Apparently, it thinks that something is connected to the main monitor port even when nothing is. Come to think of it...maybe the adapter is still left in the port as you suspected. You are saying that as long as it is connected to that port it will think a monitor is attached even if it isn't. Interesting...I'll have to check that when I get home.

I could take a picture of the ATI 7500 card, but it may take me a while (to take the machine apart and such). I think maybe the adapter is causing the problem.

By the way, I have tried connecting the card to each of the 3 PCI slots. I also have a firewire card in one of the other slots. But, of course, it doesn't make any difference which slot it is in.

By the way, do you guys sell CPU upgrades for G3? If so, which one would you recommend for the Beige G3? I tried buying one once from MacConnection, but it turned out to be incompatible with my system.

Arrow Hello Ajedrez

as long as it is connected to that port it will think a monitor is attached even if it isn't.
    Right you are.

I could take a picture of the ATI 7500 card, but it may take me a while (to take the machine apart and such).
    You don't need a picture if you can identify your card by using the ATI links.

By the way, do you guys sell CPU upgrades for G3?
    Yes, of course.
    XLR8 MAChSpeed G4 500/600 MHz ZIF $199

or

Contact Rick, if you have some questions about the upgrade.

Regards

Nicolas

Hi Guys,

Just a thought.... If the issue is indeed that the card "thinks" that it is half of a spanned desktop (and the wrong half!), you should be able to open the Monitors Control Panel and see a button/tab that refers to the multiple monitors.

If you see that, which includes two monitor icons, you should be able drag them to the proper oder - left to right, or rigtht to left as needed.

...It will make sense when you see it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin